ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Corsa 'D' VXR Nurburgring Edition

o this afternoon had the Michelin's fitted, all nice and simple trough Tyres on the drive. Been out the past few Hours scrubbing them in and getting a feel for them, and I am simply amazed by how much the car has been transformed. Mileage at time of fitting was "15805"

28959401754_47da95884d_z.jpg
Tyres by Michael Smith, on Flickr

29504403301_6f81f64a2e_z.jpg
VXR by Michael Smith, on Flickr

29294648860_6148c7a852_z.jpg

28959248934_cdfa4fab53_z.jpg

29504352181_bfb2f4f202_z.jpg

Gone has the Road noise that sounded like a Wheel Bearing, the occasional Tram-lining, the ABS kicking in when Braking hard and the ride has improved, so much softer over little humps and bumps in the road, the daily refinement has gone up a few notches. Happy is an understatement :D

I notice tram lining a lot and road noise is unreal with the contis, don't feel confident pushing hard at all.

Just got a full set of contis on at 16k last week. Not paying tho so can't really complain. Saying that, they all need balanced so might be part of the issue!

Clio 182 FF BG
The Colour is called Chilli Orange and its so much better looking in real life, its quite hard to photograph though, they also did Grasshopper Green, White and Black on these Nurburgrings.

From memory it set an 8:34** at the Nurburgring which IMO is impressive considering it had Conti's and not stickier PSS's or a dedicated Track Tyre, there was talk of these bullying a Megane 250/265 Cup at the press lauch back in the day according to the forums, wether thats true or not. Found a video on YouTube, quite decent to watch.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Definitely won't be worrying any megane rs 250 / 265. I seem to remember this being tested against a clio 197 on 5th gear and being slower around the track and not as well rated. May not have been a nurburgring edition but still it's not that much different.
Not a big fan I'm afraid. Engine shite. Gearbox shite slightest hint of tuning and it'll blow it's mind.
As others have said each to their own. On a plus side it looks like a nice example

So yesterday Evening i went for my first 'proper' drive out since i've scrubbed the Michelin's in, headed towards some of my favourite roads towards the 'Dales, minimal traffic it was great, the weather was perfect, all good.

The Drexler LSD really is the star of the show, it's superb, i do find it quite aggressive and coupled with the sticky Supersport Tyres and the Bilstein B12 Suspension i'am having to get used to it somewhat as a few times it's caught me of guard, nothing drastic as such, but it demands 100% concentration otherwise i'll be mounting the inside kerb LOL, one thing i noticed was i was carrying a good 10-15mph more into some corners than i did in the ST but i felt like i was only driving at like 7/10th's if that makes sense? I also feel like there's to much grip, it's nowhere near as adjustable as the ST and perhaps its rivals, you can lift of and power on and using to LSD tighten your line up which i found quite satisfying, along with 2nd gear corners, i was giggling to my self, i really do think a Trackday is needed!

Overall I am still loving it, not once have i thought the ST was better in a particular area, well apart from the Fuel
biggrin.gif

29546788771_be6c49a5b5_z.jpg
Nurburgring by Michael Smith, on Flickr

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Sounds awesome and like good fun.
You'd recommend the tyres? I'm going to be looking at getting a full set for the Integra soon, but not sure what to go for.

So yesterday Evening i went for my first 'proper' drive out since i've scrubbed the Michelin's in, headed towards some of my favourite roads towards the 'Dales, minimal traffic it was great, the weather was perfect, all good.

The Drexler LSD really is the star of the show, it's superb, i do find it quite aggressive and coupled with the sticky Supersport Tyres and the Bilstein B12 Suspension i'am having to get used to it somewhat as a few times it's caught me of guard, nothing drastic as such, but it demands 100% concentration otherwise i'll be mounting the inside kerb LOL, one thing i noticed was i was carrying a good 10-15mph more into some corners than i did in the ST but i felt like i was only driving at like 7/10th's if that makes sense? I also feel like there's to much grip, it's nowhere near as adjustable as the ST and perhaps its rivals, you can lift of and power on and using to LSD tighten your line up which i found quite satisfying, along with 2nd gear corners, i was giggling to my self, i really do think a Trackday is needed!

Overall I am still loving it, not once have i thought the ST was better in a particular area, well apart from the Fuel
biggrin.gif

29546788771_be6c49a5b5_z.jpg
Nurburgring by Michael Smith, on Flickr

Lol I had the same with the diff when I first drove it. One hand on the wheel and a bit of welly out a junction and the wheel snapped round and almost sent me up the kerb 😂

Sounds awesome and like good fun.
You'd recommend the tyres? I'm going to be looking at getting a full set for the Integra soon, but not sure what to go for.
Cracking tyres in my experience.

I was beginning to worry it was just mine, glad it's not and it's meant to be like that. The only other experience i've had with a LSD is on a Astra that had a Quaife ATB 'Diff on Toyo 888's and from memory the 'Diff on the Corsa sure does feel more aggressive.

Its a tough choice between the Super Sports and the Pilot Sport 4s now. The latter are pretty much as good and wear better.
Are Pilot Sport 4's a replacement for the Supersports? or PS3's? i've heard quite a few different things.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
This article with replies from Michelin indicates -

- While Pilot Sport 4 replaces the Pilot Sport 3, it’s an improvement on the Pilot Super Sport, not a “new” Pilot Sport 3, in design and technology. In comparative testing in 18" sizes, Pilot Sport 4 outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations, with the added benefit of 10-15% improved wear. The other 1% is on a dry track where the Pilot Super Sport would outperform the Pilot Sport 4 by a couple of tenths of a second around a long track. For more track focused track drivers we will expand the range of Pilot Sport Cup 2 over the next few years.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/What-is-happening-to-the-Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Definitely won't be worrying any megane rs 250 / 265. I seem to remember this being tested against a clio 197 on 5th gear and being slower around the track and not as well rated. May not have been a nurburgring edition but still it's not that much different.
Are you saying a car with very good Bilstein suspension & a very good LSD is no better than a standard car? Assume you've not driven a car with an LSD then lol. When i fitted the Quaife to the R53, it quite literally transformed it, might as well have added an extra 100bhp. This corsa is a great drivers car, with a better power to weight than a Meggy 250, so with an LSD, i cant see any reason why it would be any slower tbh.

Clio 182 FF BG
Are you saying a car with very good Bilstein suspension & a very good LSD is no better than a standard car? Assume you've not driven a car with an LSD then lol. When i fitted the Quaife to the R53, it quite literally transformed it, might as well have added an extra 100bhp. This corsa is a great drivers car, with a better power to weight than a Meggy 250, so with an LSD, i cant see any reason why it would be any slower tbh.
Just not a fan of the corsa or any vxr model. I know various people that have had corsa vxr and they have proven to be a very poor car regardless of diff or suspension. Very troublesome, unreliable cars.
I drove my megane r26 plenty so fully aware of the benefits of lsd so you assume wrong. In my experience on various track days / ring visits the corsa just isn't that good. Not saying it's a fact just my opinion from personal experience and the vast number of people that have owned them and regretted it.

Just over 18k-ish now, only right to grab a few pictures on a recent drive out, something about the Autumn and Winter months, all the grime the car picks up, quite satisfying, anyways, a few pictures.

30625917196_c11feba566_z.jpg

30662191465_ccbdb1d424_z.jpg

30545408802_35fb482b9c_z.jpg

30625925306_c08b971871_z.jpg

30625928216_983eb6bc93_z.jpg

30031101614_05257d1415_z.jpg

30625918826_2e75452ba2_z.jpg

30362509430_5cb8b8250c_z.jpg
I really do love this little car, its uncouth, a little raw, sometimes frustrating to drive, but point it down a good Road in all all weathers and let the 'Diff work its magic and it really is quite something, it excites me in a way in what no other car i've owned has. Love it.

So on Sunday i met up with a mate who'd a few days prior changed his Fiesta Mk7 ST MP215 for a Focus RS Mk2, only right to go for a drive and grab some pictures
icon_mrgreen.gif

30793699985_d0eda25aec_z.jpg
Hot Hatches by Michael Smith, on Flickr

30492743610_ff1d1b65a8_z.jpg

30757018696_8e413e013a_z.jpg
RS by Michael Smith, on Flickr

30757018616_2be7ce8c5f_z.jpg
Wheels by Michael Smith, on Flickr

30158278753_d020c5e304_z.jpg

30492735110_29db3f8033_z.jpg

30705152881_8b81615da6_z.jpg
RS by Michael Smith, on Flickr

30705149111_4e9fa82c25_z.jpg

30793687765_46ff21dba4_z.jpg
Wheels by Michael Smith, on Flickr

30793687755_49cc22d8f1_z.jpg

It's a 1 Owner car, FFSH, with about 40k on the clocks, really really top condition, wearing premium Michelin's, not a squeak or rattle i could hear, but all i can say is WOW, what a special piece of kit, first time i've ever sat in one and drove one at some pace on some good roads i know, alot better than i expected, and the 5 Pot Engine is the party piece. I really do think i'd have one over the current crop of 20k+ Hot Hatches despite being quite old now. Its left a lasting impression.

Anyways, the current OE Wiperblades have had it, so replacement Bosch Aerotwins fitted,

30227687064_25513dd320_z.jpg
Wiperblades by Michael Smith, on Flickr

Can see where i'am going now and VXR Badge fitted to the front Grille,

30750782111_2f0c8d41bc_z.jpg
Badge by Michael Smith, on Flickr

30750781991_64fc99c8af_z.jpg
Badge by Michael Smith, on Flickr

Hoping a drive out the Wales is on the cards for this weekend!

About Two weeks ago i picked up my mates GM branded Remus Back-Box and Enhance Performances 'Replica' Centre Pipe of him that was on his Corsa 'E' VXR, as he's changed to a Cobra Cat-Back. Firstly gave it a good scrub with the trusty Autosol.

32099108455_400b34f0b2_z.jpg
Exhaust by Michael Smith, on Flickr

32099108145_217d2c27c0_z.jpg

31257873064_4cef853c90_z.jpg

And fitted,

31322374324_535820031b_z.jpg
Untitled by Michael Smith, on Flickr

Unfortunately we couldn't fit the Centre Pipe so will go to an Exhaust place at some point, but i'am still over the moon with it, got some noise now! nothing major but its added some more character the to car!

Also fitted some brighter DRL's or whatever they are called!

31317120393_ea9c7be4c5_z.jpg
Lights by Michael Smith, on Flickr

^^^Before

31752061930_8d5b07a2f3_z.jpg

^^^After

32127094525_688b9e78fc_z.jpg

^^^Before

32008502541_28742845c8_z.jpg

^^^After

And last night, on some good Roads i know, covered about 50 miles or so, not really had a chance to do some 'spirited' driving prior to that, so was looking forward to trying new Back-Box out. It's nothing special but to me, fits my OEM criteria nicely.

Anyways, I'am well impressed, i know they sound pretty fruity from the outside, but from the inside it's definitely give the car some more audible noise when pressing on, and changing from 2nd to 3rd gives some nice pops and even double pops on some occasions which makes me giggle somewhat, even 3rd to 4th gives some pops aswell, although not as much, but still mighty impressed.

I still need to fit the Centre Pipe, but I'am still in Two minds after hearing it last night LOL.

I'am pretty happy with the car now, I'll be Servicing it soon, as its due in 3k miles, and my wish list to upgrade is,

*Corsa 'E' VXR 'Performance Pack' Brembo Caliper Carriers/Brackets so i can fit 330mm Discs. You need them apparently.

*Braided Brake Hoses of some kind and Fluid.

*Corsa 'E' VXR Factory 'Short Shifter' as i believe they have one as factory, my mates 'E' feels so so good compared to mine.

All OEM
icon_smile.gif

Apart from that, just enjoy the thing, it's a bloody cracking Hot Hatch.

I am a member on VXROnline... a lot of the guys in the South Central + South East are an awesome bunch.
Try and get yourself along to a couple of the VXR Power Events this year and get taken out in the Nurburgring VXR by a BTCC driver! THAT IS FUN!

The Track days are awesome! You drive Insignia VXR, Astra VXR, Astra GTC VXR, Corsa VXR & Corsa Burg VXR... may change slightly as the years go by, but the Nurburgring Corsa is the best handling car of the bunch!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm a sucker for a bit of Vauxhall :up:

106 rallye
Nice car mate, i do like the nurburgring editions, although i do feel vauxhall copied everything i did to mine back in 2008!

I also love how people are repeating what they have read on the internet and havent actually lived with a corsa vxr at all!
I bought mine brand new in 2007 and the engine is totally standard , courtenay stg3 with NO injector upgrades and has had 66k miles of trackday abuse and 20yr old hooliganism (from me) and has never let me down once! The gearboxes are fine if you keep them cool or change the oil often.

And also, the corsa vs 197 thing is old news, the nurburgring is in a different league compared to the standard one!!

RB Clio 182
If you were referring to my comment, i had a stage 3 arden which i bought standard at 6 months old, and a factory order Nurburgring edition.

The engine and box are chocolate, my 4th piston melted on my arden, i had an engine and box build, traded it in for the burg edition, the gearbox went at 11k so i got rid.

106 rallye
Yes i was.

Mechanical sympathy goes a long way and regular oil changes is the cheapest mechanic!

Did you let it warm up before nailing it? Your going to say yes but how do you know as there is no temp gauge? These cars have quirks, you just need to get to know them!!

Yes you might think the boxes are chocolate, iv had mine rebuilt 4 times but thats because of the heat it generates and kills the oil. It is now in the service schedule to change it every year.

All the problems are down to "abuse". Dont jump down my throat, its not a bad abuse but the fault of vauxhall not installing things like temp gauge, cold rev limit etc etc. The abuse is driving it hard before its up to temp but you wont know as theres no gauge.

Some are just s**t but most is from unknown "abuse".

RB Clio 182
I had mine from 2008, before all the known problems, always warm up and cool down my cars, i was a member of vxronline for about 5 years, there was a piston failure thread every couple of days and a gbox thread every couple of hours. Are you the craig from waky with the blue arden? If so I remember you.

106 rallye
Yeah thats me, theres always threads like that, always the bad stuff but nobody reports the good stuff as theres no problems!

I quit vxro years ago after too much brown nosing with dougie! They banned aussie Shane and started ganging up on mandy snd eamonn. I voiced my opinions and its never been the same since!

RB Clio 182
Ianj annoyed me the most, mr knowitall!

And perry with the astra burg, nurburgring24 or something, what a prick!

Sorry for the thread hijack, i do still love the look of the vxr, nice looking hatch, i just had so many problems with mine its put me off for life.

I've never known such a cliquey forum as VXRO, and unless your running Stage 3, De-Badged and got 'Lows' no ones interested, this is why i love Cliosport, full of proper car enthusiasts.

So yesterday, set of nice and early for a Sunday Morning blast to Hartside Cafe, from Penrith the A686 via Melmerby to Alston, then working my way back down on the B6277, B6276, via the A685 and the fantastic A683 and then to Hawes along the B6255 back to Ingleton and finally on the A682 back to the M65 Motorway, very enjoyable morning, the 'Burg proving sublime, it still can't get over how capable it is, i think if it had a Ford or Renault Badge it'd be the holy grail of Hot Hatches LOL. Anyways, a few pictures.

32368263540_998116951d_z.jpg
Hartside by Michael Smith, on Flickr

32624659561_cb2a48a973_z.jpg

32624659061_d3b190db41_z.jpg

31934209633_a5b350e6b8_z.jpg

31934209563_df69700ede_z.jpg

Was Cold at the top!

32368263210_9ac7c8e922_z.jpg

31905093954_0dbb3c19f7_z.jpg

31934209563_df69700ede_z.jpg

32748315115_278583dedd_z.jpg

32707407076_5e34b395e9_z.jpg

Saw a few other like-minded people on my travels, DC5, 172 Cup, RS3 to name a few smile

Front Michelins are wearing nicely too, about 4.5-5.0mm left across both sets. and about 6k into them. Need to drive it harder more :p

RB Clio 182
Love it mate, the exhaust tips stick out a bit too far tho, the nurburg edition is night and day compared to a standard vxr, it feels like a totally different car.

Cheers mate, it's funny you should say that, I've been looking at the Tips and they seem to have shifted back compared to when first fitted it. Doesn't look as bad as on the pictures though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
These and the normal vxr ones looks so much better than the new face-lift ones. They look crap and nothing overly special imo. These look more aggressive.

Clio 197
These and the normal vxr ones looks so much better than the new face-lift ones. They look crap and nothing overly special imo. These look more aggressive.
The new ones just look like squashed Astras, just as bad as the new fiesta

Peugeot 308
This looks lovely.

I've always had a soft spot for the Corsa VXR in this shape. Regular VXR's are appear very cheap now!

Reliability? I think that comes down to the owner, done properly they appear to be just as reliable as any other car IMO.

This looks lovely.

I've always had a soft spot for the Corsa VXR in this shape. Regular VXR's are appear very cheap now!

Reliability? I think that comes down to the owner, done properly they appear to be just as reliable as any other car IMO.

Cheers :)

Yeah i totally agree with the Reliability aspect, i ran a completely standard Astra 'H' VXR from 20k to 55k a few year back and had zero issues, i didn't exactly drive it like Miss Daisy either, whereas a few people i know have bought 'modded' examples and are nails tbh, with no end of problems.

I'am about 6-7k in to ownership with this VXR and feels just as good as it did when first picked it up, I'am hoping it carries on that way.

Peugeot 308
Cheers :smile:

Yeah i totally agree with the Reliability aspect, i ran a completely standard Astra 'H' VXR from 20k to 55k a few year back and had zero issues, i didn't exactly drive it like Miss Daisy either, whereas a few people i know have bought 'modded' examples and are nails tbh, with no end of problems.

I'am about 6-7k in to ownership with this VXR and feels just as good as it did when first picked it up, I'am hoping it carries on that way.

I had an Astra H VXR a few years back also, not as bad as people tend to make out (Jeremy Clarkson) - Its also a shame the image is heavily tarnished.

644440_10152333984211531_175873762_n.jpg

Burg wheels and Dap-R springs.. Seemed to handle well enough for what it was.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Only VXR i would buy especially in that colour. I went to one of those VXR Power Events at Thruxton and drove the Insignia, Astra, Corsa VXR and a Corsa Nur. Last year i also did 3000 miles in an Astra J VXR when i went to Worthersee.

The Astra left me feeling cold really, it was fast and handled alright just didn't get a connection with it even after a lot of miles. Didn't rate the gearbox either, but when i drove the Corsa Nur at Thruxton that was amazing. The diff is great on track so is the suspension, completely different animal to the rest of the VXR range.

I had an Astra H VXR a few years back also, not as bad as people tend to make out (Jeremy Clarkson) - Its also a shame the image is heavily tarnished.

View attachment 177443

Burg wheels and Dap-R springs.. Seemed to handle well enough for what it was.

Love them with the 'Burg ATS Alloys, they look ace.

I remember reading an old Evo Magazine and had the Group Test back in with the VXR, Focus ST, R26, Leon FR and FN2 CTR and they genuinely thought high of it, came 2nd if IIRC and the timed laps around a Wet Track it wasn't to far behind the R26 and tbh that it was swayed me to buy one lol.

Very capable car with some choice upgrades.