ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

considering buying a v6

The b**ching at 0 - 60 speeds always amuses me.

The Vee has 300nm of torque, compared to the 200s 200 or so. The vee will pull in any gear much easier - leaving the 200 behind.

V6s are quick.

Look i wasnt questioning the V6 i was just giving an alternative, for similar money you get a new car, warranty, similar stats. It wasnt bitching i just thought id put it out there.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Very informative post. I didn't know my clio did 0-60 in 6 seconds and only did 144mph.

i knew i should of bought a 200...

As stated, different websites have different stats, the fastest quoted acceleration is 5.8 secs (evo) and a number of websites say 6 secs. A number of people say top speed 155, a number of people say 144. what eva, this is old

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
One question to ask before you buy, is do you live in a cul de sac or tight street? If so the V6 is not for you! ;)

RB 182
thanks for all your replies, i do live in a tiny road but i am sure i can live with that, i know the turning circle is terrible on the v6 but its just a gorgeous car :D

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
vee arnt as scary and difficult as people make out, nor do they burst in to flames all the time!

A few of us went on a blat around matlock in 182's 172's ect with tiny windy roads and mine handled fine and managed 100 jelly beans on the bigger bits with ease, just felt a bit wide on the smaller bits!

and mines a daily car for me, speed bumps are a bit slow but its fine for me :)

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Been looking into getting a LY V6 only thing that stops me putting down a deposit is the cost next year for cambelt etc, had a bit of a deal of cost but still a hell a lot of money.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
In a nut shell. A v6 is easier to drive than a 172...No joke, not a word of a lie! Gbox is far nicer, can pull away in 2nd all the time. no need to rev it to get power.

Turning circle is fine...When was the last time you needed to do a 3 point turn!!! :S

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Alot of money for a LY...A decent mk2 will cost 14-15k. A LY will be approx 19-20. As nice as LY is it's not worth it!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Everyday for me. :( Twice.

But would it really bother you doing it in 4...Plus, the vee's hardly an ideal car for your business...

It's never been an issue. Occasionally i miss my parking space...a quick "FFS" and another go at it...Doesn't bother me tho!

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
haha i still miss parking spaces in mine!

LY isnt worth the 5k or so more imo, i've kinda gone off them now and think iliad and acid are the best two, if you want LY so much get a blue one wrapped in a LY wrap for 1k or so!

Clio 182
unless u r going to really drive it hard it makes no difference atall. they are very noisy to drive but they look the tits

Plenty of other cars i'd rather have for 20k tbh. 20k is n/a mk2 Exige money, i'd rather be in one of those really. On the up side though LY commands a premium so you'll not lose out on paying the extra for it when you come to sell up.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I am considering buying a V6 to replace my much loved 182 , i have never driven a rear wheel drive car, i was just wondering if its TOTALLY different to drive or is it only slightly different, ive been told its really easy to loose the back end if your not used to it, just wanted to know really the main difference, apart from speed obviously , between the 182 an the v6
thanks all :D

They are massively different m8. Sat at the wheel and not looking at the mirrors - there's little to tell them apart.

But turn the key and go for a drive and you instantly notice the difference. The 'box is great on the Vee's imo and with the fronts only providing direction, you don't have to fight the wheel as much as you do with a charging 182. The delivery of power is more smooth on the Vee and is always more accessible than with the 182. You don't have to keep the power band 'on tap' as much to get the most out of it.

However, it does feel heavier and dare I say it, more lazy than a 182. I would also much prefer a 182 on a decent A-road blat than with a Vee. But that's my personal opinion.

D.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I genuinely can't see the fascination of a man owning a LY Clio....

Just wrong. Fit ASW's, yes. Men no.

RB 182
well thanks for everyones opinions :D i am definately going to buy one it has to be done, so will be selling my silver 182 soon ! going to go an test drive a few :D

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I like the V6 but there's probably better cars for the money.

better in what way? i'm not saying your wrong just wondered :approve:

they turn heads like a supercar, are quick enough on most roads, are rare ect :D

Clio V6 Mk2 255
IMHO cars are all a question of taste and desire to own really v practicality and cost ... If people have such a desire or interest in a car like a Vee I am sure people won't be dissappointed in owning one for a while, many just buy and try and sell on, some fall in love with them. Many hate them and don't see the point of them and others just try to compare apples with oranges.

My story was, I had some money, had never seen or heard of a Vee in my life but within a few weeks had bought one (second car granted) - they had that much of an impulse and impact on me. There may be better cars but for me what defines better really ?! ... They have their faults but take away any practicality issues, ignore the scare stories about crap handling (which is invariably due to driving inappropriately for the road conditions and cars characteristics) and if you can afford to buy and insure one - they are a worthy car to try in your lifetime. You might not even lose much money either as residuals are not as volatile as some cars but yes there does seem to be some seasonality in sales.

I have fitted an engine bulkhead as the fact is, it is quite a treat being able to see a 3 litre engine sat in the back of what is essentially a hatch-back and hear it buzzing away behind you. The whole ownership and driving experience is a hard thing to explain but is great fun.

Martin

I genuinely can't see the fascination of a man owning a LY Clio....

Just wrong. Fit ASW's, yes. Men no.

Indeed. Never quite got this myself. Looked at a LY R26 yesterday and got all the "come sale time you'll be able to sell it at a premium" balls from the dealer, but I'd have to look like a tool for the next 3 years driving it etc etc.

Black with black wheels ftw, or Moggy171's blue one :)

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Mostly harsh comments for the LY V6 but who cares, i am now a owner of one, picking it up at some point in the next week. :D
photo-4.jpg