ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Trophy or 182 ff?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Flol @ people telling her she isnt allowed to look specifically for a low mileage car if that is what she wants.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was thinking the same Jim.

If I was down-sizing to save money, a £2000 172 would be the bet.

Unless the real reason was the 197 was s**t? Ha

She sold the 197 to liberate some cash, but due to a change in their personal circumstances now her bloke has decided to sell a car, and then for them to share the new car dawn is getting, hence she has more money back to spend again now than she thought she would have when she got rid of the 197.

Fecking hell, give the girl a break, she just wants some advice about Trophy's vs FF 182s, not someone to tell her how much to spend or scrutinise all her previous financial dealings etc.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Thanks Simon. If half the people would have actually read this thread we wouldn't have 6 pages!

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Forget the whole mileage thing for a second. Why do you want a Trophy over a FF? If you're selling the 197 and the Mito to share a car, surely you'd want a comfortable, well equipped car? The Recaros aren't as comfortable as the 182 seats imo, plus you get all the toys (climate control, xenons, auto lights and wipers). Will you use the car on a track? As the Sachs aren't that comfortable to be living with day to day. I'd be spending my money on the mintest 182 FF I could find and pocket a bit more cash.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Im just the same, dont want high mileage cars and would go out of my way for something lower. Ive always said lower the better, and always will. If you can get a same car with half the mileage on, its an easy choice imo.

I'd rather have a car with 100k on it, owned by a careful owner who looks after it, than a 50k owned by some dozy old t**t who couldn't care less.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
But all this about mileage is irrelevant that's what I can't understand in this thread. Dawn doesn't want a car with more than x miles on it, simple.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
More than likely, dont think Renault changed the gearbox properly tbh. That vibration though the pedals was horrific lol.

Well yeah, although all these ///M threads at the moment dont help with me going cold turkey from buying cars all the time :eek:

driving it wrong TBH....

S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Whats the best car to buy.

The lowest mileage one with the best service History that you can afford. - Simple & End.

Yes there is some high mileage ones that have been well looked after however if you have the funds to be a bit more picky then low miles is more important.

There are probably just as many sh*t low mileage Clios as there as sh*t high milers....
its not rocket science buying a car - buy the very best spec of the model you want with the money you have-

hence 197 /200 without Recaros- pointless

182 FF or Trophy, tough Choice- I am guessing dawn likes red or black- so its a
BG 182 for ~ £3.5 or a trophy with some different options for ~ £5k ish-

S

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
Mums got a 182 FF much preffer that as a daily driver over my trophy!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Mums got a 182 FF much preffer that as a daily driver over my trophy!

fully agree with that, easier car to live with.

As far as mileage goes, low mileage cars seize up from lack of use and need just as much changing; I've seen 18k Trophys with seized aux tensioners. I far prefer something with some legs on it, they're always faster for a start.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Mines a FF 182 with 53K FSH (serviced at 6k) all the nice bits of a FF and up for sale at the right price, it might not be right miles for change but I changed it anyway due to years :)

Legs don't mean anything, years is years to a piece of rubber or metal!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
fully agree with that, easier car to live with.

As far as mileage goes, low mileage cars seize up from lack of use and need just as much changing; I've seen 18k Trophys with seized aux tensioners. I far prefer something with some legs on it, they're always faster for a start.

Because the aux belt kit hasnt been changed......?

S

FF Racing Blue 182
get a ff they look a million times better than a trophy....i mean the wheels the front seats and the washer blanks which should be same colour as the car in my opinion

the trophy for me just doesnt do it for me but its your choice do what feels right

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Ive had a 172,182 so fancy the Trophy. Always said i'd love one. If the right one come up with the right amount of miles i'd not hesitate in buying it.

So basically, first rule of CS is no one should ever buy brand new cars because that makes them a mug. Second rule of CS is no one should ever buy low mileage cars because they're guaranteed to be in bad condition.

Essentially then, everyone should buy old, high mileage cars. Great.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So basically, first rule of CS is no one should ever buy brand new cars because that makes them a mug. Second rule of CS is no one should ever buy low mileage cars because they're guaranteed to be in bad condition.

Essentially then, everyone should buy old, high mileage cars. Great.

It is a bit bizarre that this thread reads like all low miles cars are sheds and all high miles ones are mint.

reality is mileage has little effect either way.

Last edited:
  RS6 C7
My trophy is easy enough to live with, The Recaro's are way more supportive than the 172/182 interior, I find them really comfy.

The ride is a little harsh but not massively worse than my 172 is, Didn't you lower your 172 anyway?

Good luck finding one, I'm sure the right one will come up, Just don't rush into buying it.!

RB 182 Cup
I thought about a Trophy before buying my Cup. Then I decided the colour was more important than expensive shocks, so I went for a Racing Blue Cup with Recaros, half way to a Trophy.

If truth be known, I'd have preferred a Racing Blue FF, but my cup had really low miles with FSH and was in amazing condition.

I've changed the wipers to variable intermittent and the only thing I think I miss from an FF now are Xenons. However, I only want them if they provide better light than halogens, I'm not fussed about how they look.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I think things have got a little confused in this thread. What most people are trying to say is that there is no need to be scared of 60k plus miles cars as long as they have got good history.

RB 182 Cup
I think things have got a little confused in this thread. What most people are trying to say is that there is no need to be scared of 60k plus miles cars as long as they have got good history.

I totally agree, mileage has never put me off cars, if they've been looked after and are still in good nick, I'd buy it. You just have to be aware some components will have reached or be close to reaching the end of their serviceable life and if they haven't been changed already, may need doing so.

But even my low miler Cup has needed quite a few suspension components to stop it rattling.

They are great cars to drive and own, but no VW in their build quality.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Despite divided opinions on the Trophy's Capsicum Red paintwork... I get the impression Dawn will have a lot of fun working with it. :D It's not to everyone's taste but looks stunning when properly detailed, colour-corrected, etc. (I thought I'd try and divert away from the whole mileage thing!)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Exactly, but the usual cs trolls have interpreted it in their own little way as per usual.

Each car should be judged on its own merit, not ruled out because its done 5000 miles too few or too many.

120d M Sport
I've had my eyes opened to mileage. IME the worst cars are ones on 60-70k as that seems to be when they start needing lots of work doing/parts changing!

My 100k+ 172 has been solid.

Try one before you knock it I think is what people are saying.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
God this is annoying. Its not a debate about milage its a debate about which one to buy. If you want low milage get one, if your not bothered about milage get the best condition one within budget. If you have an issue about milage its not going to suddenly go away whwn you buy something you dont want.