ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Renaultsport 197 Official Prices

What car? wrote about the new MK3: "the clio sets new standards in term of quality and refinement".

The new clio doesn't feel cheap anymore, just get onboard and you'll see what I'm talking about!

Nissan 350Z
^ Agreed. The Mk3 courtesy car (a DCI) that I had was built much better than my Mk2 182. Although I didnt think much of the colour of the dash in that one (like a beige colour) but I am sure the 197 will have a dark dash.

In fact I'd say the build quality on this Mk3 i had subjectively seemed as good as the Fabia vRS I had last year, maybe even slightly better again.

Mini Cooper S sport
Seems a lot of money to me. I wouldn't buy one new anyway, and I must admit, after having problems with both my 172 and 182 I'm not sure I'd have another Clio again anyway. Maybe I'll look into it in another years' time when prices have come down, but more likely I'll go for something different and more reliable.

insignia
CraigV6 said:
Yes I agree imports are pretty much the same (in fact in the 197's case you might get better spec in an import as it looks like you are getting next to feck all in the UK model), but an Import will never be worth as much as a UK car in the UK.

Import's are a bit of a taboo subject. No-one can really say why they aren't valued as highly they just aren't!!!

Again I think swings and roundabouts between buying new from the dealer and buying an import. Import will save you money at the outset, but won't get you as much when you come to move the car on.

I disagree. I bought my Mk2 172 from Motorpoint for £10,999.It is a UK Import.I saved myself loads & when I come to sell it it will be sold for the same amount as any other 172. Buying a UK IMport will SAVE you money when you buy it and SAVE you money when you come to sell.

Theres a similar thread everytime a new car is announced. Trophy/Cup, whatever it is. "its not fast enough" "its too heavy" "no improvement" "I wont be buying one"

Give it a few months and eeeeeeeeeveryones got them! ;)

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Seems expensive but you get what you pay for. At the end of the day its still going to be a 'Clio'.
I for one won't be buying another clio and will stick with mine for a little while longer until I see something else which takes my fancy.

Revels182 said:
Theres a similar thread everytime a new car is announced. Trophy/Cup, whatever it is. "its not fast enough" "its too heavy" "no improvement" "I wont be buying one"

Give it a few months and eeeeeeeeeveryones got them! ;)
It's the Wheelbarrow 182 all over again!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I still need convincing of the new 197. Every new-shape Clio I seen looks fecking HOOGE compared to my 182. I don't think it looks as nice either. On top of that, it uses the same engine (albeit a tad tweaked) but carries an extra weight penalty.

Hmmmm. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I think my current Clio will be the only one I'll ever own.

D.

Lee

BMW M2C
Racing Blue said:
Imports can be harder to sell and it DOES affect their resale price.

Yup, I traded my 172 Import in and got roughly £1k less than if it had been a UK car, but I did save a lot more than that buying it so it worked out well.

al

ST on the way...
If you look carefully, the Renault dealers now have a special "RS Table" that you can bend over while they give you the price!

insignia
Racing Blue said:
Imports can be harder to sell and it DOES affect their resale price.

Didnt effect mine so not true. guy never even asked if it was an import,just asked if it was a Uk car which it is so I got exactly the same amount and saved s**t loads.

Price is just about what I was expecting, possibly slightly less given that I heard £17k was likely.

The current trend is for manufacturers to make everything an option - think BMW or FIAT, who even ask £20 for a locking fuel cap on the new Punto - so I'm hardly suprised.

It's a little disappointing to see the seats don't come in the leather / alcantara, but then they were only ever available as a very expensive option on the Renaultsport-engineered Clio 16V in the days before the Ph1 172.

It's no big deal - if it is overpriced, market forces will soon sort it out. I suspect there will be plenty of deals in time.

1yr old ST, VXR, GTi, Meggy 225 will all be better buys IMHO.

I'd go for the ST - then chip it. Renault have shot themselves in the foot.
You'd have to be extremely loyal (& dumb) to shell out for a new 197.

Essential standard items (e.g xenons, climate) which were a big appeal for the 182 have been relegated to pricey options.

Subaru WRX/BMWe30 Touring
Surfing the net today and came across advert for "Renault Clio 198bhp" (not sure where they get the extra 1bhp from) for £13,995 at Motor Depot.

Is a bit better than list but still don't know if I would buy one especially as for £1 - £1.5 K more could get a Megane 225 or Import 06 Subaru Impreza 2.5 Wrx

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
actually its 0-62 time is faster, its 6.8/6.9 secs, the original time was 0-60 at 7.1! its bascially same bhp tonne as ctr. remember weight is less irrelivant as speed rises, so motorway speeds you might find the 197 has the edge. be interesting to hear bout handling though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
RobHardyUK said:
actually its 0-62 time is faster, its 6.8/6.9 secs, the original time was 0-60 at 7.1! its bascially same bhp tonne as ctr. remember weight is less irrelivant as speed rises, so motorway speeds you might find the 197 has the edge. be interesting to hear bout handling though.
0-60 times from renault are not worth taking into account, they put the 182 at 7.1 yet it was testged at 6.3, they had the trophy at .1 faster or something to make it look faster, now they have done the same with this one, just shave a few tenths off to make it look faster, the thing is they can't show a figure too close to the 225 as it would hurt those sales as its the model above so the 0-60 will never look right.

I still think this isn't like previous launches where people conplained about looks, exhausts etc and still bought it, everyone always agreed that value for money, it couldn't be beaten and that why most of us considered it in the first place before we even drove it as it was the best bang per buck!

I am still going to hold off my final judgement though until I drive it, I might think its the best drive I have ever had and much better than the 182, then it might be worth considering!

Clio Trophy
this better be good, who the f**k would trade a 182 for one :O

pay a bit more you have a porsche boxter or a 350z, it just doesnt make sense, it looks gay too

Clio Trophy
i think renault have counted chickens before they hatched, 182 is an exceptionaly good looking car, good value, and great performance thats why it sold. The new one has lost the value and looks. Its seriously doomed

Turbos.
Personally i think a lot of current RS owners don't even like their 182s. It seems the only important thing to them is performance. All too often on this forum we hear about 'chipping' and "it will have 280bhp" blah blah blah. Just accept you're too cheap to buy the Leon or CTR you lust after.

Likewise, there are too many pikey blinkered members who think a bit of leather in a 182 makes it a classy car. It ain't. Step in any modern hatch and it is light years ahead of the Clio in terms of quality and refinement. The only thing going for them is performance.

I think its a good thing that Renault decided to invest in going a bit more upmarket, and i for one don't mind spending an extra grand to have a car i don't fear will break down every time i'm in it.

I will be gobsmacked if Renault are stupid enough to produce a worse car than the outgoing model, FFS wait for it to come out before writing it off!

I thought this was supposed to be a Clio enthusiasts forum :rolleyes:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
agreed^^^

I ain't writing it off till i drive it. i would quite like something a bit bigger, but not leon size so it could fit the bill.

Clio Trophy
Personally i think a lot of current RS owners don't even like their 182s.

what the f**k, i can afford a much better car than a shitty Leon or CTR. i would never buy one of those cars, they are pointlessand too expensive for what they are. I would rather splash an extra 5k and get something a bit more 'special'

EVO VII
Im getting 1 ;) its a shame the recaro's are due later this year, I WANT THEM NOW :D Going 4 Ultra Red

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
cliobuyer said:
Personally i think a lot of current RS owners don't even like their 182s. It seems the only important thing to them is performance. All too often on this forum we hear about 'chipping' and "it will have 280bhp" blah blah blah. Just accept you're too cheap to buy the Leon or CTR you lust after.

Likewise, there are too many pikey blinkered members who think a bit of leather in a 182 makes it a classy car. It ain't. Step in any modern hatch and it is light years ahead of the Clio in terms of quality and refinement. The only thing going for them is performance.

I think its a good thing that Renault decided to invest in going a bit more upmarket, and i for one don't mind spending an extra grand to have a car i don't fear will break down every time i'm in it.

I will be gobsmacked if Renault are stupid enough to produce a worse car than the outgoing model, FFS wait for it to come out before writing it off!

No, its just that the new clio looks like a micra. Thats where my problem lies.

Clio 172 mk2
TrophyBoy616 said:
Personally i think a lot of current RS owners don't even like their 182s.

what the f**k, i can afford a much better car than a sh*tty Leon or CTR. i would never buy one of those cars, they are pointlessand too expensive for what they are. I would rather splash an extra 5k and get something a bit more 'special'

Agree with you

I could have brought a CTR or a Cupra but am happy I chose to the buy the 172. I come from a much more powerful, quicker car and am no illusion that's it classy or refined....it's fun, capable and cheap to run.

I do think the new car has some nice features but at the price with all the extras it's up against other cars which are better.

cliobuyer said:

I couldn't agree more!

dk

911 GTS Cab
cliobuyer said:

absolute rubbish, for me it was the whole package of the clio, price, performance, handling and equipment levels, it had it all, this new one doesn't have the price or the equipment levels though and it remains to be seen on the performance and handling.

You have a mini though don't you so you love paying over the odds for a car and having to buy shed loads of options as they barely throw in a steering wheel! I personally hate nearly everything about the mini.

Clio 172 mk2
Driven a Cooper....interior isn't much better than the Clio..you can feel the weight of the car and the ride is crashy.

Still fun though.

C

Cupster

I have always liked small cars that look hard with great performance and low running costs. My cup fits that profile perfectly for me. The new one looks ghay, heavy and is bigger. Performance is probably about the same in the real world but it is not for me.

MINI JCW
I agree with most of what has been said, the reason i bought the 182 was for the overall package of performance, handling, toys and value for money.

If you go on list prices a 182 with option would have cost just over 15k where as the 197 wil climate xenons etc will cost over 17k.

Its a big difference and I think that Renault have moved away from producing something that is exceptional value for money. I dont mind the looks of the 197 and im sure it will handle well but if it is going to cost that much I would rather spend 2k more and get a 225, GTI, VXR etc

Clio 172 mk2
gazcaddy said:
I agree with most of what has been said, the reason i bought the 182 was for the overall package of performance, handling, toys and value for money.

If you go on list prices a 182 with option would have cost just over 15k where as the 197 wil climate xenons etc will cost over 17k.

Its a big difference and I think that Renault have moved away from producing something that is exceptional value for money. I dont mind the looks of the 197 and im sure it will handle well but if it is going to cost that much I would rather spend 2k more and get a 225, GTI, VXR etc

Exactly...it's fallen into a different market..one 'covered' by the Megane

Trophy 265/500
If you pay for all the toys, you're starting to get into ST, VXR, GTI money.

The car cannot compete in terms of residuals, performance, or reliability against any of these. It's even pushing Meggy money.

My two penneth is that they've launched it too dear, and it will suffer.

OK, you can say, "It'll be less than RRP" True - I got my Trophy for £12.5K OTR, but at the same time, I was being quoted well under RRP for a VXR and Golf, and they were only discrete inquiries rather than dedicated bargaining.

It boils down to this. The stealership I got my Trophy from was dreading selling the new Clio, as it falls between 2 niches. Too expensive and heavy to be a nippy runaround (ie classic French hatch a la Ren 5, mk I and mk II Clio, AX, Saxo, C2 etc) but also isn't quite big enough to be considered a small family hatch.

The Meggy is in a defined niche, and very competitively priced for the quality. The tweaked Meggy was a very good move, but the Clio?

I'll give the RS one a try, but the mk III 1.6 16v I had as a courtesy car while the dealers were sorting a paint scratch picked up during delivery was nothing special at all. Bit bigger, yes, but not Astra, Focus, Golf bigger. Bit nicer inside, but still nothing special for the weight/money.

Suppose the upside to the mk III launch is that I got my Trophy very cheap, and 3 people at work have got amazing deals on run out stock of mk II 1.2's.

DC5
I haven't read this thread, so don't know eactly how much detail has been given.

On www.renaultsport.co.uk you can now pre order your 197. If you tick all of the options the total price comes to £18,420. WTF!

You can get a Focus ST2 for that money.

EVO VII
Just went into my local dealer to ask about the 197, he reckons he can get %10 off the RRP with the options i wanted it will come to 15.3k thats with everything the 182 has auto lights/wipers, 6 discs multichager, climate control. Downside is i cant do anything till end of june when it's released. He reckons it will be delayed aswell and not expect to recieve it till sept time. :)

Its not fair to say it costs £18k+ with all the options, if you get Climate control you get auto lights & wipers & Double Distance Xenon Headlamps and Headlamp Wash (includes Dedicated Cornering Lights with black headlamp surrounds) £16.8k

£15.5 for 6 speed 197bhp car with 312mm brembo brakes, it seems your getting alot more for your money.