ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCI 65 suspension query

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Hello all, new here and new to the Clio. Hoping somebody can give a little advice, I've tried searching but am not really confident with what I'm finding.

Just bought a DCI that has been fitted with suspension from a 172 according to the guy I bought it from, though I don't know if this info is very reliable. The car is definately lower so it isnt standard susp. Anyway, 1 of the front struts has a leak and I'm wondering how I can tell the right type to replace it with?

I hear about 54 and 60mm bolt spacing but I'm struggling to find out what this relates too?

Thanks in advance for any help.

54mm is the correct spacing for 172 , 172 cup and 182 non cup

60mm is for 182 cup , 182 cup packed and 182 trophy

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Thanks Martin.

Did these fit straight onto the dci, or would they have had to change other parts to make them fit?

Many.
Best thing to do is measure the bolt spacing on yours if its been messed with. That way you can be sure.

I hear about 54 and 60mm bolt spacing but I'm struggling to find out what this relates too?

Apologies if this info is too basic, I'm not 100% sure which aspect you're struggling on.

The bolt spacing refers to to the "hole centre spacing" between the two clearance holes on the bottom of the damper and the top of the hub through which two (looked about M12 IIRC) bolts & nuts go to connect the two. The different distances correspond to the models martin has quoted.

As Alex has said it's best to measure it as the previous owner may have changed the hubs to ones with the other bolt spacing for various reasons.

If the bits are on the car it's easiest to measure from your best guess of the centre of each bolt. 54 vs 60mm should be a big enough difference for you to tell either or.

Many.
It could also be 52 or 56mm for non-sports. So it is kinda hard to measure accurately. Best thing I can suggest is to pop both nuts off, and measure top of bolt, to top of bolt. You'll need 2x 18mm's (or 21mm's if it is genuinely Sport kitted)

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Really appreciate the info, thanks.

I can measure that over the weekend, just wanted to be totally sure what distance I was measuring.

Does anybody know what the DCI should have as standard?

Again, thanks for the help.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'll have a measure of my old struts tomorrow.

Got a pic of your dci? I know one sold recently with sport running gear

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Cheers Graham, if the rain ever stops I'll get out and measure mine.

I'll put a picture up, I bought it from a guy in long Eaton, its not perfect by any means but pretty good for the money I paid. Enjoying owning it so far.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@starmagsi Lovely and sunny at my abode so here you are :) Averaging gives 58mm

They'll rotate shortly

D259EAA3-43D5-428B-8EDB-B216D926271A_zpsvkmjj5ll.jpg
999A035E-3213-4EF5-8AF0-8D6F9AC03E1A_zpsmiwkknmv.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dci will 99% have 58mm spacing ive never in over 30 cars saw a 52mm one not sure where these apparently were?! im not sure if ph1 cars had 52mm but ive saw Y and 51 plate ph2s that all had 58mm!

to fit 172 suspension it would need hubs and brakes.

maby it just has springs? they fit straight onto the non RS dampers and sit a bit lower

starmagsi

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 193
Thanks for the info guys, that clears up the questions I had quite nicely.

The plan was to get this measured over the weekend, but between the weather and the girlfriend this hasn't happened. Want to get it done and some new shocks on pretty soon though.

Anyway, I've only just noticed (I'm not the most observant...) that the car came with a Cliosport.net bottle opener so I wonder if any on here know it?

IMG_20140526_1818431_zps48f6772a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20140526_1818541_zps360d6b86.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20140526_1819041_zps0dbcb8b6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not the best photos, but you get the idea...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I didn't go and look no as we didn't have enough space in the garage for another car unfortunately. I was going to just buy it for the engine, pump and injectors.

Sounds like it's got a load of trims from a cup then. The interior is PH1 as it's coloured lettering.