ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Catastrophe

RS Clio 182 Cup
Hello All,

I have been a lurker on here since I got my 182 Cup but recently fancied doing some bits on it myself now it is outside of the warranty period so joined up fully this morning to get some tips and advice.

Unfortunately I got back to my car tonight to find instead of being in the perfect condition I had left it, a runaway trailer had careered down the road, smashed into the front pushing it 40 feet down and across the road into another car.

ClioCatastrophe-1.gif

Any chance of a refund on my subscription? :D

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I can see the pic. Hopefully whoever the trailor belongs to will be able to settle the car/claim as you don't want that going on your insurance. No doubt the guys car you hit after being hit by the trailor will be claiming against yours tomorrow morning.

RS Clio 182 Cup
I can see the pic. Hopefully whoever the trailor belongs to will be able to settle the car/claim as you don't want that going on your insurance. No doubt the guys car you hit after being hit by the trailor will be claiming against yours tomorrow morning.

The police were there when I got there as I was blocking the road so they have written it all up and they said it is pretty clear cut.

I have added a direct link for the picture a few posts above...

Ouch !!!!!

Heres hoping that you get it fixed easily with no bother from trailer driver.

And hope that the driver of the Focus claims off the trailer guy as it was his fault.

Any bad damage to rear of 182 and Focus ??

The trailer dont look too bad :(

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
It's not good, but glad that's clear cut. Last thing you need. I know people don't like people saying cars are a write off before inspection but if the wings have gone, new bonnet, bumper, radiator, head lamp, labour, paint and damage to the rear... Could be close to non-economic repair.

RS Clio 182 Cup
Ouch !!!!!

Heres hoping that you get it fixed easily with no bother from trailer driver.

And hope that the driver of the Focus claims off the trailer guy as it was his fault.

Any bad damage to rear of 182 and Focus ??

The trailer dont look too bad :(

My bumper was collapsed at the back I think but not up as far as the light. Just scratches on the Focus I think my poor baby did all the work slowing the trailer down.

The trailer was filled up with portaloos too so the whole place stank of piss too!

RS Clio 182 Cup
It's not good, but glad that's clear cut. Last thing you need. I know people don't like people saying cars are a write off before inspection but if the wings have gone, new bonnet, bumper, radiator, head lamp, labour, paint and damage to the rear... Could be close to non-economic repair.

A couple of years ago a dizzy woman too busy taking directions from her passenger locked up and drove into the front of me. Then is was only a new bumper, grill and to repaint the bonnet and that was £1250 to repair... so I am wondering.

:D - I am hoping it was just rust on the bonnet...soon as I smelt piss I kept my distance. Funny thing was I said to the Police man, "is that smell of piss something leaking from the engine?" - "No, sir, unfortunatly it IS actually urine.", "Oh I said", "Yes", he said back, "I am just glad all the portaloos did not come off the trailer."

BMW 323i Coupe
If they do write it off, surely you can state the work you've just had done to the car and say that you fully expect the replacement car to have the same work done?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Well, you'll get a car of economic value. You won't be getting the cash back on the work just done. That's not quite the way it works. Have to provide examples of 182's with the cambelt done. Anyway, before it comes to that lets see what the insurance assessors have to say.

RS Clio 182 Cup
Well, you'll get a car of economic value. You won't be getting the cash back on the work just done. That's not quite the way it works. Have to provide examples of 182's with the cambelt done. Anyway, before it comes to that lets see what the insurance assessors have to say.

Well I am hoping that I can submit my receipt as it has just been done and enhance the claim or I will be well out of pocket...

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Don't think that'll wash tbh. Just unfortunate, nothing more, nothing less. You will be getting its economic and replacement value. If you had bought the car the other day you can submit that as a reciept and get that value back, otherwise it's just the open market value and not based upon what work has just been done.

RS Clio 182 Cup
Don't think that'll wash tbh. Just unfortunate, nothing more, nothing less. You will be getting its economic and replacement value. If you had bought the car the other day you can submit that as a reciept and get that value back, otherwise it's just the open market value and not based upon what work has just been done.

What do people reckon on value then?

47,000 miles, 1 owner since new, full main dealer service history, and as I said just done the timing and accessories belts. Was immaculate...

Looking on autotrader not many say if the timing belt has been done so hard to factor that in.

Mondeo STTDCI
Write off. What year was it? For a 2004 54 plate I'd say 5250. Work up from there.

Black R27, 205gti
I think you will be lucky to get more than £6,000 from the insurers. (probably more about £5250-£5500?) Start collecting as many "high end" for sale adverts as you can to provide as leverage when negotiating (stating belt services etc.), and obviously never accept first/second/whatever offer until you are happy (or near enough)

Mileage is taken into consideration, and 47k is probably considered average so expect a bit of a battle for above average pay out. I speak from experience on this. Good luck!