ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 in next series of Top Gear

Disappointed that the stig didn't drive all three round their track. Would of been a better test for comparison.

The Clio was always going to lose with May at the wheel.

I still enjoyed the show.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
James may is a good driver! Did you not see him in that car in america on the windy roads!! But this is a clio forum so of course it lost because of may driving.....no other reason.....

Black 182 FF
Ive just watched the episode this morning. Thought it was great fun. I lol'd when Clarkson made the dog fly into the dash :clown:

Tbf, as soon as I heard May was driving the 200, I knew it wouldn't win, no matter what the challenges were. Its all fun and games though. I dont think people should take too much from it.

This

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why do we need 2 threads on this? Can't we just discuss the 200 in the top gear thread?

GTD, Lupo
Always thought RS's were gutless without spanking them, hence why the torquey Fiat gave a better showing...

Clios aren't the be all and end all anymore.

Were they ever?

It was a good show but people need to take it for what it was, Entertainment.

Listerine & Poledo
3 hot superminis, looked fair to me

I get your point, but the 3 choices just seemed at odds, even just on price alone, it wasn't that fair.

But if you did the same kind of "test" on 90's small coupe's you'd have

MX-3 / Mitsi FTO
Toyota Sera / Nissan 100 SX
Racing Puma

And why the FIAT anyway? I'd have thought a more3 appropriate choice would have been an Ibiza Cupra

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No you wouldn't.

The Frp is 00's. and it would be Vs the Teg and the 172. 306 gti-6/Rallye

Listerine & Poledo
No you wouldn't.

The Frp is 00's. and it would be Vs the Teg and the 172. 306 gti-6/Rallye

Ah, yes, sorry.

I thought FRP was '99. Anyway, would that make the 'teg the overpriced competition? My point was putting £16k of CLio against £20k competitors is a bit silly. All their criticism about the interior would have been null if they'd got a packed 200. Not that it would have helped with laptimes

Although I am now looking at Sera's, strange, gutless, pleasant

ClioSport 172 (2003)
Nobody buys there car based on a topgear episode. And if you do then theres something wrong with you. I personally wouldnt be seen dead in the citroen or the fiat i thought they were eye sores! Granted Jame May's a klutz and im sure if jezza had it then it would have won.

As said above its purely entertainment and it was very good entertainment at that. Dont take the Clio loosing to heart. Even Jezza said the clio was pulling out of the corners slow, but then again May was driving

AG 200
There's no way that the 200 is slower than a 500 around a a sinlge lap of the GP circuit and its certainly not 5 seconds off the pace of the DS3R, unless May went up the hill in 3rd . I cant remember hearing the 'beep' once on the show but the change up was shown on the fiat. Right , off to find a 500 driver and see whats what.

Listerine & Poledo
So now you're saying that the price of the car comes into it?

Well, yes.

A Mugen Civic would have schooled all 3 of those, but at, what £40k, wouldn't that be a little unfair?

Like Putting a Frod Probe up against an RS5, their both coupe's you know :)

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
The cars aren't on there to be reviewed in those parts of the show - they're just props. In this case Clarkson got the shouty-looking, in your face Citroen, Hammond got the small and buzzy 500 and May got the 'boring' Clio - they just make the cars an extension of the presenters. In race situations Clarkson always wins, Hammond second and the joke is always May losing. It wouldn't make any difference what car he's in.

As has been said a million times, it's an entertainment show. Anyone who has the slightest interest in cars would know to take their staged antics with a pinch/small handful of salt.

Listerine & Poledo
All true.

I'd still take a well-specced 200 over the others regardless.

Although a Newer-shaped Teg would be prefered! :)

Phase 2 172 Sport
The cars aren't on there to be reviewed in those parts of the show - they're just props. In this case Clarkson got the shouty-looking, in your face Citroen, Hammond got the small and buzzy 500 and May got the 'boring' Clio - they just make the cars an extension of the presenters. In race situations Clarkson always wins, Hammond second and the joke is always May losing. It wouldn't make any difference what car he's in.

As has been said a million times, it's an entertainment show. Anyone who has the slightest interest in cars would know to take their staged antics with a pinch/small handful of salt.

Very well said, couldn't have said it better my self.

Clio RS 200
Well, top gear did it again.

Put a fashion accessory, next to a special-eidtion , next to a RS200.
That's a nice level playing field right there.

If they'd managed to blag F1 drivers to lap Monaco. that would have been much better than seeing May tip-toe around the Cote d'Azur track in the 200. No tripod-action for the Clio? Not trying hard enough.

Mind, it's an entertainment program now, it just happens to have cars in it.

5th gear is more about the cars than the laughs, and at least Plato, Tiff & VB-H can drive!

If that had happened, the 200 wouldm have walked it!!!

182 Cup
They should have used a 1*2 instead of the porky 200. Even May could have got that round the track in the quickest time.

Mini Cooper S sport

At least someone gets it!

04 clio sport 213bhp
i agree about top gear but thats why i love it, if you want a real review of it, watch fifth gear on a different night, they put it against the new focus RS500 and its all over youtube. top gear is now an entertainment programme and it should be seen as just that, it is a bit informative sometimes but its good to watch and funny :)

172 Cup
May spent the first half of the show complaining about over stiff suspension and then supposedly 'chose' the clio cup, a car with extremely stiff suspension but didn't mention it once, whether the clio won or lost the show its for mass entertainment not petrolheads, I don't have a problem with it, its just a fact.

Last edited:
  MCS R56
Cliosport are arguing over being the slowest, the Fiat forum are arguing over being ghey and the the Citroen forum think they are all heroes.
I love Top Gear.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Cliosport are arguing over being the slowest, the Fiat forum are arguing over being ghey and the the Citroen forum think they are all heroes.
I love Top Gear.

We should invade the Citroen forums and post up some publications and video from some PROPER Tests! lol

DS3club.co.uk is my first target... I'll show em lmao!

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
I put a video up a while ago where a 200 convincingly had a Team Lotus F1, that was on the straights, let alone da twistiez

Knock yourself out. Seen it a million times. Like how the FRS comes into it again. Standard.

In fact I was one of the first to post it on here lol.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
cs.net + top gear =

crying-baby.jpg