ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clio 197 or clio 182?

What would you rather have?

Votes: 607 39.8%
  • 172/182

Votes: 917 60.2%

• Total voters
  White clique
I have a 182. And I think its a better looking car.. but..

If I was in the market for a Clio today I would buy the 197/200 simply because its newer and is maybe better built ? (probably not lol)

the 197 is better built, i can vouch for that. Its not perfect, but it is better!

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
depends on what you want from the car really. They are both awesome cars and I would hate to sell either of ours, the 182 is really fun to drive and ours is definately faster in a straight line than our 197. But the 197 handles better and has far better brakes and is a nicer place to be.

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to choose I'd pick the 197 and I dont really know why. Then once I picked I start crying over the loss of my 182 ;)

172 gone :( 197 now :)
Ive swapped my 172 for a 197 but i've voted for 172/182 because they are more fun. Depends what you want really. If i just wanted one to drive at weekends i'd choose a 182, but the 197's just much more comfortable than my old 172 which would ruin my back and deafen me with the aftermarket exhaust. They both great cars but they are completely different they both fun just in different ways. The 197 handles much better, 172's and 182's have much more body roll. The 197 feels like its on rails. The 172 was more nimble i fancy due to its size. The brakes on the 197 are awesome!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I've went for 182, I like the look of the 197 but it's lost abit of the small car big engined values I love in a hot hatch.

172 cup , 197 cup
I have owned lots of cool cars , I think the latest Clio s look fantastic but If you want comfort and build quality buy a BMW . What attracted me to 172 Cup was I am only interested in focused drivers cars that I can also used on track and to think a major manufacturer made a car with a weight close to 1000kg , thinner glass and no abs and a peach of an engine , that handles and grips well , I think is unreal .
There is much talk of using the 172/182 as stepping stone to more expensive cars I have noticed , I think if you have one you have a diamond , dont think of changing maybe only for a r26r !

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The brakes & chassis are far supperior than on the 182.
Now, a lot of owners say this. I'm willing to admit that in terms of straight line pace, there's a bugger all in it (although the 197 'feels' slower).

A question I've asked time and time again, yet oddly hasn't been answered, is this. If a car is the same speed in a straight line, but has a superior chassis and much better brakes, why can it not lap a track significantly quicker?

The only head to head track laps (same driver, same day) I know of was by Evo. The results of which have been covered.

Swift Sport
My personal opinion is that the 197 is just easier to drive fast as it inspires more confidence, I'm sure a 172/182 is just as capable.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Any1 know the sales figures for both models cos I know alot of 182's were bought cos of there fun character. The 197 more refined, better built, more track biast, heavier, better? I'm not so sure.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sales figure's wouldn't be that relevant IMO, the recession would seriously skew the 197/200 figures.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
My standard 197 could do 10-15 laps of Donington GP easy.
My modified Trophy was struggling after 7.
Defo nicer place to be & balance is great.
In the wet the 197 was awesome even on R888's.

White clique
Now, a lot of owners say this. I'm willing to admit that in terms of straight line pace, there's a bugger all in it (although the 197 'feels' slower).

A question I've asked time and time again, yet oddly hasn't been answered, is this. If a car is the same speed in a straight line, but has a superior chassis and much better brakes, why can it not lap a track significantly quicker?

The only head to head track laps (same driver, same day) I know of was by Evo. The results of which have been covered.

a couple of points:

a 197 / 182 only has pretty much same straight line speed up to the standard published 100kph / 62mph times

Around a track you are going to be using higher revs and a a higher speed than 62, and as you know the top speed of a 182 is higher than a 197, therefore the 182 pulls ahead slightly

The 197 will however out handle and outbrake a 182, therefore making up any losses.

as this clip demonstrates:

[YOUTUBE]LBNlXS6QXWU[/YOUTUBE]

does this answer the elusive question?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
its a lower insurance group, and about £5 per tank extra to fill up so is actually about the same.
Yeah, because 25-27mpg is just as cheap to run as a 35mpg car. You really are the most biased lad on here. Even the Vee boys admit the faults of their cars!

White clique
Yeah, because 25-27mpg is just as cheap to run as a 35mpg car. You really are the most biased lad on here. Even the Vee boys admit the faults of their cars!

If my insurance cost me £190 LESS a year than a 182, but costs approx £5 more in fuel a week, and i'm also not spending as much on servicing in the first 2-3 years, if you do the maths you MAY just realise it costs roughly the same.

As for track days, no i havent done a single one in my life, sorry to dissapoint you. Why does it matter? What do you make of the clip and my explaination BTW?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fuel alone in a 197 would be £1500 extra per yr for me. And you've mentioned servicing, but not depreciation, which will be far higher in a new car.

Without having experienced either car on track (or any) it's impossible to comment on their behaviour (IMO)

White clique
Fuel alone in a 197 would be £1500 extra per yr for me. And you've mentioned servicing, but not depreciation, which will be far higher in a new car.

Without having experienced either car on track (or any) it's impossible to comment on their behaviour (IMO)

I dont buy new so dont have big hits on depreciation (FACT)
I've owned and DRIVEN both a 182 and 197, unlike you, even though you claimed the other day to have "owned every clio in the RS range" (FACT)
The diffuser helps the 197 handle so amazingly (FACT)
You are in denial about the 197 and 182 clip and how the 197 and outbrake and out corner the 182, helping it to keep up around a track (FACT)

The 197 is awesome FACT

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I dont buy new so dont have big hits on depreciation (FACT)
I've owned and DRIVEN both a 182 and 197, unlike you, even though you claimed the other day to have "owned every clio in the RS range" (FACT)
The diffuser helps the 197 handle so amazingly (FACT)
You are in denial about the 197 and 182 clip and how the 197 and outbrake and out corner the 182, helping it to keep up around a track (FACT)

The 197 is awesome FACT
Think it was pretty obvious I was talking about the mk2's. You're again confusing yourself Shirley. You're talking about depreciation on a narrow scale, and running costs on a narrow scale. Not everyone owns/runs a car in the manner you do. It is a simple fact that a newer car will depreciate more than an older car (when looking at the same class). A 197 will, and does cost more to run than a 1*2.
I'm pretty sure there have been plenty of times you've denied that the 197 is slower than the 1*2's. So once again you've talked yourself into the same corner. and outbrake and out corner the 182.
So it's no slower, yet outhandles and outbrakes a 182, and yet laps at a similar/slower pace. Not even pointed out that I'm 99% sure there are different drivers in the 182/197 in the above clip, of differing abilities. I have a video of me chasing down and passing a Focus RS around Bedford, does this mean my car is quicker than a FRS?
Come back when you've driven either of the cars concerned to there full capabilities dear.

White clique
Think it was pretty obvious I was talking about the mk2's. You're again confusing yourself Shirley. You're talking about depreciation on a narrow scale, and running costs on a narrow scale. Not everyone owns/runs a car in the manner you do. It is a simple fact that a newer car will depreciate more than an older car (when looking at the same class). A 197 will, and does cost more to run than a 1*2.
I'm pretty sure there have been plenty of times you've denied that the 197 is slower than the 1*2's. So once again you've talked yourself into the same corner. and outbrake and out corner the 182.
So it's no slower, yet outhandles and outbrakes a 182, and yet laps at a similar/slower pace. Not even pointed out that I'm 99% sure there are different drivers in the 182/197 in the above clip, of differing abilities. I have a video of me chasing down and passing a Focus RS around Bedford, does this mean my car is quicker than a FRS?
Come back when you've driven either of the cars concerned to there full capabilities dear.

come back to me when you've OWNED a 197!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
LOL.

the 197 pwns the chav chariot. the 200 probalby pwns the 197 but i just can't get over the face. it is as subtle as stroking a kitten with a hammer.

White clique
LOL.

the 197 pwns the chav chariot. the 200 probalby pwns the 197 but i just can't get over the face. it is as subtle as stroking a kitten with a hammer.

Yes i'd agree with this, sadly the 200 was the sequence breaker for me as although i imagine its better all round than the 197, i still have to be seen in it.

The possible new clio sport might tempt me back, as a second car!

renault-clio-1.jpg

AG 200
The 200s power delivery is much better than the 197. The bit more torque makes a massive difference in city traffic and its just a much better drive all round.
Yes , Ive owned both.

I'd go for the 197 over the 182 base purely on the fact that the 197 looked better imo. I dont do track days so just toot around the uk roads sticking to speed limits as I go. Having said that, I moved to the 200 which to some looks like a bag of sh!te. To me its different and I think its great.

182 or 197 = 197 , evolution :)

Octavia VRS
the 197 feels very high inside....hmmm.

Id like the 197 interior(mainly for the magical non melting steering wheel) on my 182 :approve:

Swift Sport
I bought a 197 purely because I could, I work in the motor trade and got one cheap with even cheaper finance... it was rude not to at the time.

There were a few things I wasn't so keen on, like the ride height and the lack of torque... so addressed these issues with a remap and coilovers.

Personally, as a car I think the 197 is much better, NOT FASTER... Just a nicer car to live with day-to-day, and now mine seems to be a bit of a head-turner.

Fuel ecconomy is poorer this is a fact, but then I drove my 172/182's just as hard so ecconomy was never good.

If my financial situation changed I'd definately go back to a 182, but until then I'll enjoy my 197 for what it is :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I bought a 197 purely because I could, I work in the motor trade and got one cheap with even cheaper finance... it was rude not to at the time.

There were a few things I wasn't so keen on, like the ride height and the lack of torque... so addressed these issues with a remap and coilovers.

Personally, as a car I think the 197 is much better, NOT FASTER... Just a nicer car to live with day-to-day, and now mine seems to be a bit of a head-turner.

Fuel ecconomy is poorer this is a fact, but then I drove my 172/182's just as hard so ecconomy was never good.

If my financial situation changed I'd definately go back to a 182, but until then I'll enjoy my 197 for what it is :)
Can't argue with most of that! The lack of BS helps lol.

The 197 is the better all round car. Of this, there can be no question.

Ultimately they're both sheds in terms of quality compared to the best available. Pay your monies for what you want, and STFU.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah indeed Roy.

i'm going to buy a MCS tbh. The only hot hatch on the market with heated seats as far as i can see. done deal.

Peddled device
I love my 182 - FACT
I wouldn't swap it for most things - FACT
I like the 197's now after l didn't - FACT
I love the Evo IX FQ360 more than the Clio's - FACT
I even like the 200 in white - FACT
My 182 Cup is RB - FACT