ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clio 197 or clio 182?

What would you rather have?

Votes: 607 39.8%
  • 172/182

Votes: 917 60.2%

• Total voters
  BMW 320 M Sport, 197
Both are great little cars imo.

For a second car to blat about in and use on tracks I'd have a 182, but if its only one car then it'd be the 197 for everyday use. How many 182's are about in comparison?

May not be as quick, but its not as if its a great difference, if only a few milliseconds.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Louism said:
Why would anyone go for an old car over a newer one if they didnt have to?

Coz it's personal choice, like rx7 is better than rx8, golf mk 1&2 over mk 3&4, 106 over 107, Saxo vts over c2 vts, the list would go on for years,

Coz it's personal choice, like rx7 is better than rx8, golf mk 1&2 over mk 3&4, 106 over 107, Saxo vts over c2 vts, the list would go on for years,

Not really. I would have a new GTI over the MK1 GTI, the 182 over the 172, the 197 over the 182 and the 200 over the 197.
The list doesnt go on at all, like for like you would be stupid to go for an old car simply because its old, and no im not refering to vintage classics im talking about renaults which have improved with every generation.
People may say they would go for a 182 over a 197 but i bet they would all jump at the chance to swap they old cars for a newer one.

Mini Cooper S
I own a 197 at the mo had a 182 previous but i would leant to a 182 as im wanting to go bk to the 182 now! :eek:

Nashy

260% JCW
I dont think Renaults get better with each Generation Lousm, IE the Original Williams Clio then the Williams 2,3.

Ive got the money to spunk on a new 200 but IMO its a big let down. Big and Fat

Not really. I would have a new GTI over the MK1 GTI, the 182 over the 172, the 197 over the 182 and the 200 over the 197.
The list doesnt go on at all, like for like you would be stupid to go for an old car simply because its old, and no im not refering to vintage classics im talking about renaults which have improved with every generation.
People may say they would go for a 182 over a 197 but i bet they would all jump at the chance to swap they old cars for a newer one.
but in many cases the extent to which each has improved doesnt justify the change.

All the renaults :)
The 197 has to be the more comfortable n better handling IMO but I've gotta say the originals are the best, I love how 172/182's still make me constantly smile n feel like even more of a kid, the 197 doesn't seem to have any power, needs a turbo for sure, 172 for me :)

clio 182 cup
i have an rb 182,
i love it!! great car.
however, i think i would have a 197 instead any day!!
ive never driven a 197 but i agree tht owning a newer car would be nicer,
renault woudlnt create a new car tht is worse than the car its replacing.
just because it doesnt feel as quick, surely there must be many other benefits to the 197!!

White ds3
197 any day iv had a 182 for 2 years and loved the look of the 197's from the beginning, Handling is a million times better also seating position seats and breaks are ausome imo. pluss its newer more modern etc

BMW335M/Clio200/182
182 Sport was not a consistant award winning car in the eyes of the motoring press.

200 has been received rave reviews and awards and was voted best hot hatch against cars with twice the BHP in the Stig Shootout (August 2010 Top Gear Magazine).

Show me an equivilent review of a 182 or 172 Sport?

182 Sport 0-62 = 7.1 Seconds
200 Sport 0-62 = 6.9 Seconds

200 is faster through corners and brakes better. 200 is built better. 182 is a heap of s**te in comparison :rasp:

Inferno 182
182 all day long new 197/200 are to big to be a proper clio, not one that has been put through a photocopier at 125% so that the twingo was a justified new model. dont get me wrong they are good cars but for me its not a true clio.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
182 Sport was not a consistant award winning car in the eyes of the motoring press.

200 has been received rave reviews and awards and was voted best hot hatch against cars with twice the BHP in the Stig Shootout (August 2010 Top Gear Magazine).

200 is faster through corners and brakes better. 200 is built better. 182 is a heap of s**te in comparison :rasp:

Utter nonsense. But thanks for trying. We all love a 'special' that tries.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
LMFAO

Explain.

For starters read ECOTY 2004 and 2005 (when a 182 finished above Lamborghini, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, etc)
The Autocar hothatch feature when the mk5 Gol GTi was 1st released, the 182 finished top.
Iirc the 182 won every group test it was entered in Evo mag, possibly autocar as well.

I'll give you a few minutes, so your carer can pass that on;).

BMW335M/Clio200/182
Is that it!!! LMFAO try a bit harder and provide more evidence. The Clio 200 has done better than that in one month! You're little bit of ammunition is f**kin dire.
This month alone the Clio 200 beat superior cars such as the Golf GTi, Golf R, Scirroco R, Focus RS Black, Subaru Impreza Cosworth, Fiat Abrath 500, Meg 250 etc etc in the Top Gear Stig Shootout.
In this months Auto Express the Clio 200 was commended as 2nd place behind the Golf GTi as best hot hatch 2010.
If I could be bothered I'd go and list to you every single review of the Clio 200 since it's release but...I have a life and it doesn't exist on this board!
Stop wasting your life defending a car and your online rep. It does make me laugh though :clown:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
He has a 200......

A quick google search will show you pages of respected reviews of the 182, be it from Evo/Autocar etc, all of which put the 182 ahead of the competition (like the 200 now). Maybe its your age showing your lack of knowledge?

BMW335M/Clio200/182
Nah I have a 182 but am getting a 200.

The competition back then is not as good as the competition now so your stupid google search and comparisions are a worthless arguement. Hot hatches are better build, they have better front suspension (dual strut, revo knuckle), they have mechanical slip diff, 4wd and upto 400bhp in power. The 200 is punching above it's weight and reaching/beating these cars.

To try and argue that a 10 year old design can compete on build quality, performance and wow factor is hilarious (but keep dreaming in the world of cyber bashing) :clown:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
He has a 200......

A quick google search will show you pages of respected reviews of the 182, be it from Evo/Autocar etc, all of which put the 182 ahead of the competition (like the 200 now). Maybe its your age showing your lack of knowledge?

This. And trotting off to scan articles from a few months ago is simple, doing the same for a 6yr+ article is not so simple. Agree re the age, same as my knowledge re the model T ;).

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

The competition back then is not as good as the competition now so your stupid google search and comparisions are a worthless arguement. Hot hatches are better build, they have better front suspension (dual strut, revo knuckle), they have mechanical slip diff, 4wd and upto 400bhp in power. The 200 is punching above it's weight and reaching/beating these cars.

To try and argue that a 10 year old design can compete on build quality, performance and wow factor is hilarious (but keep dreaming in the world of cyber bashing) :clown:

So you're saying a comparison between a frs is more important as it's recent than a 5yr old comparison with supercars?

Nice to see that now you've been quite easily proven incorrect, you've changed tact without acknowledging the fail.

Not one bit surprised by your attitude though, simpletons often harbour feelings of resentment towards their educators.

Just accept that the point you made was incorrect, the 200 has moved the game on in some area's, but not all. To think that a heavy car running a very small amount of extra power can compete in terms of responsiveness and feel is naive. Hence why a 182 bests a 200 in some areas, and a 205gti utterly hammers them both in those respects.

A 200 would be massively quicker than a 205, but feel dull and lifeless whilst doing that. But I'd rather live with the 200 than a tin pot with an engine.

The 200 is the better car than the 182, but sat in Wales with a day of b-road driving in front of me, I'd take a 182 (moreso a trophy!) every single time.

200=better car
182=better hot hatch

Imo. Having actually owned them, rather than merely speculating and jizzing in my training pants over my shiney new tin pot French shopping trolley.

And trust me, the 200 is not well built, the Germans make them feel like the rattley tinny things they are.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Show me where i have said this? I've had 172's 182, and a 197. I know the strengths and weaknesses of all of them......... chill fella, you'll have someone's eye out with all that pent up excitement

260% JCW

The competition back then is not as good as the competition now so your stupid google search and comparisions are a worthless arguement. Hot hatches are better build, they have better front suspension (dual strut, revo knuckle), they have mechanical slip diff, 4wd and upto 400bhp in power. The 200 is punching above it's weight and reaching/beating these cars:

Look up 182 and 200 on this list,

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track1.html

Humble pie anyone? :clown:

BMW335M/Clio200/182
So you're saying a comparison between a frs is more important as it's recent than a 5yr old comparison with supercars?

Nice to see that now you've been quite easily proven incorrect, you've changed tact without acknowledging the fail.

Not one bit surprised by your attitude though, simpletons often harbour feelings of resentment towards their educators.

Just accept that the point you made was incorrect, the 200 has moved the game on in some area's, but not all. To think that a heavy car running a very small amount of extra power can compete in terms of responsiveness and feel is naive. Hence why a 182 bests a 200 in some areas, and a 205gti utterly hammers them both in those respects.

A 200 would be massively quicker than a 205, but feel dull and lifeless whilst doing that. But I'd rather live with the 200 than a tin pot with an engine.

The 200 is the better car than the 182, but sat in Wales with a day of b-road driving in front of me, I'd take a 182 (moreso a trophy!) every single time.

200=better car
182=better hot hatch

Imo. Having actually owned them, rather than merely speculating and jizzing in my training pants over my shiney new tin pot French shopping trolley.

And trust me, the 200 is not well built, the Germans make them feel like the rattley tinny things they are.

It's quite amusing to come on this board and see how personally you've taken my view. Looking back through your history you have tried ever so hard to defend the old skool Clio, over many years it seems. It's quite amusing watching your defensive, insulting manner (probably not a good for your mental and social state).

Anyway after trawling through your garbled rubbish I thought I might inform you that there are also many 2009 performance car reviews that compare the Clio 200 with modern supercar rivals (which again are superior to the one review you quoted). Lets list a few shall we...1....2....3 and here we go!

Auto Express Performace Car Of The Year 2009

Clio 200 6th of out 20 Contenders

Beating Aston Martin V12 Vantage, Jag XFR, Fiesta Mountune, Golf GTi, Audi TT RS, Focus RS, Corvette ZR1, Caterham 175, Z4 35i, Ibiza Cupra, 370z, Insignia VXR, Alfa Veloce and Abrath 500

Evo Car Of The Year 2009

Clio 200 rated 5th out of thirteen contenders

Many of the contenders the 200 were also supercars

Top Gear Magazine Stig Showdown 2009

Clio 200 finishes top again against many supercar contenders

I won't bother listing all the other awards and reviews the car has received (What Car, 5th Gear, Auto Express, Autocar, Performance Car, Pistonheads etc etc).

So, before you start insulting someone perhaps you should think about the credibility of your information.. The 200 has been constantly pitted against superior competition on an almost monthly basis in the press, on you tube and just about everywhere except in the eyes of 182 fanboys. I think I trust their view more than some idiotitic, obsessive fool on a forum.

Try not to get too upset, I'm more interested in raw facts than the garbage you write :clown:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I'm assuming you can read (although spelling appears to be a struggle;)).

Now the 'raw facts' show that these review's have been pointed out to you. You've chosen to ignore that they exist. In your own words, "probably not a good for your mental and social state".

Driving a 200, I'm clearly a massive 182 fanboy.

Pointing out the 200 reviews is very clever, kudos to you. But did anyone deny that these exist? No.

School's done for now chum. Maybe use some of your pocket money to become a member?

Edit: You've been searching for my old posts? I'm touched:eek:.

BMW335M/Clio200/182
I'm assuming you can read (although spelling appears to be a struggle;)).

Now the 'raw facts' show that these review's have been pointed out to you. You've chosen to ignore that they exist. In your own words, "probably not a good for your mental and social state".

Driving a 200, I'm clearly a massive 182 fanboy.

Pointing out the 200 reviews is very clever, kudos to you. But did anyone deny that these exist? No.

School's done for now chum. Maybe use some of your pocket money to become a member?

Edit: You've been searching for my old posts? I'm touched:eek:.

Ahhhhhhhh haaaa! Wind up a troll. They should call you Braveheart, you came out of your corner like an animal, insults and all and got beat down.

You talkin s**t bro. You're like the scene in Menace 2 Society where O Dogg shoots that shop keeper. "You talkin s**t" BOOOOM!!! ahhh hahahahaha

I don't give a s**t about german car, so why you talkin about that, compare Clio to Clio on build quality and stop trying to avoid the point. I don't give a s**t about 182 Trophy or 205 cause when I posted it was about a 182 Sport versus a 200 Sport. I don't give a s**t about spelling we are talkin about cars so put ya lil dagger away cause my sword's at ya throat.

I got four superior reviews against superior super cars n super hatches which are more modern and superior than your puny one old skool example. This proves the 200 is a better hot hatch and I didn't ask whether you denied the reviews or not so why you chattin that s**t and trying to avoid the point again. The s**t you talk is like tunnel vision fool hahaha

You talkin s**t bro, the way you waffle is like the 182 or 172 is better than any new hatch and the 205 is better than any new hatch. And do you know why this is? Cause Clio 200 has beaten all the new super hatches and super mini hatches in the fun and value stakes. Your bulls**t is a one track vision you been fightin for too long old timer.

I'll say it again. The new hatches are super hatches and super mini's, they got more power, slip diff, dual strut arms, better build, better chassis and are even more practical.

I now taken delivery of my 60 plate 200 with cup chassis recaros speelines and all options except anthracite black roof and sat nav. I got the 182 still and it's a bag of spanners that understeers and torque steers in comparison to the razor sharp turn in of my new 200. I think I might send the 182 to the scrap heap!

LMFAO

Last edited:
Evo magazine lists the 182 with cup packs as a 5 star car, it also has clocked the car at 0-60 in 6.6 seconds, the 197 is (only) rated as 4 stars, they say the 197 lost some of the magic fron the last rs clio. Clio 200 is obviously superior to both however

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Ahhhhhhhh haaaa! Wind up a troll. They should call you Braveheart, you came out of your corner like an animal, insults and all and got beat down.

You talkin s**t bro. You're like the scene in Menace 2 Society where O Dogg shoots that shop keeper. "You talkin s**t" BOOOOM!!! ahhh hahahahaha

I don't give a s**t about german car, so why you talkin about that, compare Clio to Clio on build quality and stop trying to avoid the point. I don't give a s**t about 182 Trophy or 205 cause when I posted it was about a 182 Sport versus a 200 Sport. I don't give a s**t about spelling we are talkin about cars so put ya lil dagger away cause my sword's at ya throat.

I got four superior reviews against superior super cars n super hatches which are more modern and superior than your puny one old skool example. This proves the 200 is a better hot hatch and I didn't ask whether you denied the reviews or not so why you chattin that s**t and trying to avoid the point again. The s**t you talk is like tunnel vision fool hahaha

You talkin s**t bro, the way you waffle is like the 182 or 172 is better than any new hatch and the 205 is better than any new hatch. And do you know why this is? Cause Clio 200 has beaten all the new super hatches and super mini hatches in the fun and value stakes. Your bulls**t is a one track vision you been fightin for too long old timer.

I'll say it again. The new hatches are super hatches and super mini's, they got more power, slip diff, dual strut arms, better build, better chassis and are even more practical.

I now taken delivery of my 60 plate 200 with cup chassis recaros speelines and all options except anthracite black roof and sat nav. I got the 182 still and it's a bag of spanners that understeers and torque steers in comparison to the razor sharp turn in of my new 200. I think I might send the 182 to the scrap heap!

LMFAO

Those parts made me LMFAO

Init Bruv

182>200

End.
n102377169807320_4128.jpg

Last edited:

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

-182 Trophy was rated at joint 7th with the Ferrari F50.
-Evo recorded the Trophys 0-60 time at 6.6 seconds. If a trophy can do it, So can a 182 i imagine...
-1*2 pulls up from 60 better than the equivilant year of porsche 911.
-The 200 essentialy about 10 years newer than the original platform for 1*2s. I SHOULD f**kING HOPE ITS BETTER!!! wait... it barely is...