ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clio 197 or clio 182?

What would you rather have?

Votes: 607 39.8%
  • 172/182

Votes: 917 60.2%

• Total voters
  LY V6 with Recaros
I like both but I think I'd go for 1*2. Prefer R27s to the standard 197.

White clique
I prefer the 1.2 RN - is much more agile, nippy, and easy to park the 197 is too big and the steering too light, plus its got no high end pull. Plus the 1.2 is quieter than a 197 and has a better MPG.

:D

172 cup is the best looking IMHO!

I do like the look of the 197, but its as if the mk3 has moved up a class in size and is too big

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
197 ftw!!! Had both (172/182, and now 197) As an overall package the 197 is better.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hmm standard 197 vs standard 182?
=197

or cup packed 182 vs 197
=182

cup packed 182 vs 197 cup
=197

197 cup vs 172 cup
=172 cup

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
People will just vote for what they've got surely? I did :D

Main reason though I'd never buy a 197, because I'd rather have a Corsa VXR... where as the 182 is the best hot hatch of it time I think (CTR is close, but doesn't look as good imo)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I voted 182.Purely on value for money.There are one too many bargains to be had on ph and at at the moment,i simply cant justify a slower car for 5k more

Golf 7R
I voted 182.Purely on value for money.There are one too many bargains to be had on ph and at at the moment,i simply cant justify a slower car for 5k more

Slower ?.... this forum does still make me smile!

In the real world combining straights and bends, the 197 would be all over a 182!

197 without any shadow of a doubt. Sure, there are a couple of downsides over a 182, but there are a thousand upsides. If my next car didn't need to be a motorway weapon as well as epic fun, I'd have snapped up a 197 ages ago. As much fun as I've had in my 182, it's had its day now. More rattles appear every mile, comedy driving position designed for a (short) clown. The list goes on.

Amazing poll results so far. I guess it's just hard to let go sometimes.

Also, the 197 often doesn't photograph too well. In the flesh they look sensationally muscular, yet restrained and classy. Everything a Corsa VXR isn't. Nimbus R27 is the best looking Clio ever made. Done.

200 Gordini
I'd love a 197, but i've voted for the 182.

The mpg puts me off the newer breed, i've never been in the 197 so haven't really got a fair view.

r27 are THE s**t!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I can't believe these threads are still happenning. For me, the 197 looks better, has a better interior, and is epic under braking. But it's also too heavy (the cup is heavier than the meg r26r), and has numb steering. You don't need feelsome steering (the 197 rack is very accurate), it's just a personal preference.
I'd have a 182 (espec the Trophy) because it feels more urgent, more alive, and (key point for me in a hot hatch) it simply feels more fun.
(If the 197 was quicker than the 182, I'd still have the 182 as it's more fun.)

White clique
197 ftw!!! Had both (172/182, and now 197) As an overall package the 197 is better.

+2 I've had all 3, none have been on a track so i dont care if the 197 is bigger or heavier, i prefer it because its better built and more solid, looks better, has all the nice gadgets i like, is still pretty rare, is more reliable and is more comfortable.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
+2 I've had all 3, none have been on a track so i dont care if the 197 is bigger or heavier, i prefer it because its better built and more solid, looks better, has all the nice gadgets i like, is still pretty rare, is more reliable and is more comfortable.
All good fair points. But also absolutely bugger all to do with a hot hatch. Amazing that people bemoan the increasing weight of performance cars, then start talking about gadgets, a 'solid feel', etc etc. If I wanted a car to do that, I'd buy an Audi.

White clique
All good fair points. But also absolutely bugger all to do with a hot hatch. Amazing that people bemoan the increasing weight of performance cars, then start talking about gadgets, a 'solid feel', etc etc. If I wanted a car to do that, I'd buy an Audi.

Really?? Thats like saying someone should only buy a pair of trainers if they do sport, not because the feel comfortable in them, or someone should only buy a 42inch TV if their wall is of a certain size, or someone should only buy a decent camera if they are a professional who is going to publish photos.... owning a car is about going to work earning your money then buying what you WANT, what you feel HAPPY with, not what is purely functional based upon your driving style. If that was the case, i'd be driving a Ford KA 1.0.

I had the option of the BMWs and Audis from my company car list, but i didnt want one because i just dont like exec cars and they dont suit me or my personality (hey i'm still not 30 yet).. so i opted for a 197 as it ticks all my boxes :D

LoLzers you do crack me up :D

So YOU decide what makes a hot hatch now do you? Turn it in bud. A hot hatch is about practical performance. Times change, cars get more luxurious. If all a hot hatch should be is a fast tin box then why don't you buy an old Pug 205? :rasp:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
LoLzers you do crack me up :D

So YOU decide what makes a hot hatch now do you? Turn it in bud. A hot hatch is about practical performance. Times change, cars get more luxurious. If all a hot hatch should be is a fast tin box then why don't you buy an old Pug 205? :rasp:
If I didn't do 20k miles a year, I would:rasp:. Weight blunts every aspect of performance, it's no surprise the 197, VXR's, etc etc have been less well received than the prev gen CTR, Trophy etc etc.

White clique
If I didn't do 20k miles a year, I would:rasp:. Weight blunts every aspect of performance, it's no surprise the 197, VXR's, etc etc have been less well received than the prev gen CTR, Trophy etc etc.

OK i can agree with that - but be HONEST now, not just to win the argument, but an honest answer - how often does weight matter on the road on your daily drive. I am talking a drive to work, to Tesco, to your friends etc. How often do you need the real performance and handling on the road - in percentage terms? I for one very rarely get the chance to hammer my Clio, and I wouldnt anyway as i'm on a public road. The whole hot hatch thing is a marketing gimmick to attract an audience like us.

These cars are never meant to be driven on a road in the way you are portraying, you've been whitewashed!! :rasp:

If it was all about weight, they would never have brought out a standard 197, there would only have been a cup or R27R. And there would then also be a lot less 197 owners, because a majority want some creature comforts too!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
OK i can agree with that - but be HONEST now, not just to win the argument, but an honest answer - how often does weight matter on the road on your daily drive. I am talking a drive to work, to Tesco, to your friends etc. How often do you need the real performance and handling on the road - in percentage terms? I for one very rarely get the chance to hammer my Clio, and I wouldnt anyway as i'm on a public road. The whole hot hatch thing is a marketing gimmick to attract an audience like us.

These cars are never meant to be driven on a road in the way you are portraying, you've been whitewashed!! :rasp:

If it was all about weight, they would never have brought out a standard 197, there would only have been a cup or R27R. And there would then also be a lot less 197 owners, because a majority want some creature comforts too!!
So to follow your earlier point, why have a 197? Why not get a standard Clio fully optioned. My cars used in anger 2-3 times a week, and at trackdays. I wouldn't put up with a heavier less interactive car, just for the hours journey to work. Thats not even accounting for the poorer mpg. The road noise/ride/comfort is more than adequate on my car for the daily slog. The 197 is close to being great, bit more power and better steering, less weight, and it would be a worthy successor to the Trophy.
The steering will be difficult to address. The front hub design of the 197 was designed for the Meg 225, the reason for the numbness is the design seperates some of the forces going through the hub to elliminate torque steer. As the 197 doesn't have enough torque to make this an issue (compared with the Meg), it's a bit overkill. (How it was explained to me on rsport).

White clique
So to follow your earlier point, why have a 197? Why not get a standard Clio fully optioned. My cars used in anger 2-3 times a week, and at trackdays. I wouldn't put up with a heavier less interactive car, just for the hours journey to work. Thats not even accounting for the poorer mpg. The road noise/ride/comfort is more than adequate on my car for the daily slog. The 197 is close to being great, bit more power and better steering, less weight, and it would be a worthy successor to the Trophy.
The steering will be difficult to address. The front hub design of the 197 was designed for the Meg 225, the reason for the numbness is the design seperates some of the forces going through the hub to elliminate torque steer. As the 197 doesn't have enough torque to make this an issue (compared with the Meg), it's a bit overkill. (How it was explained to me on rsport).

So you've answered your own question then - you choose your cars based purely upon handling and performance as a personal choice, as it meets your requirements as an owner based upon your usage. This is why i dont need a trophy or cup, because its then a compromise on gadgets and comfort, which are critera i look for. A standard Clio wouldnt meet all my personal buying criterea either, as it doesnt carry the exclusivity or rarity I also like to look for. For me, the steering is not important, because i just never cane my car around corners. It something I've never even considered as a flaw.

PS - when i say i prefer the 197 over a 182, its not a knock to the 182 at all, I had one for 3 years and it was very good to me. A lovely car.