ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clio 197 or clio 182?

What would you rather have?

Votes: 607 39.8%
  • 172/182

Votes: 917 60.2%

• Total voters

Washington

ClioSport Club Member
YEESSS my car got good reviews in magazines, that'll stave off buyers regret for a few weeks at least!

s4qozngif-.gif

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Edit: Post #400
-182 Trophy was rated at joint 7th with the Ferrari F50 in EVO Magazine all time top 100 drivers cars.

You guys seriously need to chill out. I know cos when i joined the forum i was having rows with people (Mainly gally whos a git) but you arnt going to get over this.

Everyone has different opinions and there are fan boys on both sides.

Personally I felt the 200 was no worse build quality than a new JCW i have driven or the cooper S i had for a week. The quality of the 200 vs the 182 is massive.

On the other side of it many people who have owned both claim that the 182 was more fun.

Both are great cars, and the 200 wouldnt have been so good without the history os ther 172 182 197.

I can't wait for the next installment comparison! Clio 203?

As said they're both/all great cars, but the 197/200 edges in looks for me (as good as the 182 Cup pack cars do), they look awesome on the road, very wide purposeful stance.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
182 Sport was not a consistant award winning car in the eyes of the motoring press.

200 has been received rave reviews and awards and was voted best hot hatch against cars with twice the BHP in the Stig Shootout (August 2010 Top Gear Magazine).

Show me an equivilent review of a 182 or 172 Sport?

182 Sport 0-62 = 7.1 Seconds
200 Sport 0-62 = 6.9 Seconds

200 is faster through corners and brakes better. 200 is built better. 182 is a heap of s**te in comparison :rasp:

The main point i want to make here, is that your comment refers to 0.2 seconds diference in 0-62. This is NOT a real world comparison. If both cars were going round a track, i agree that 0.2 seconds would make a big difference, and also agree that a 197 or 200 would most likely be quicker, but i don't think anyone on here can justify another £5k+ quicker. 1*2's have been around for 10 years plus and they're still being rated as fantastic hot hatches. With the so called leap from a 1*2 to a 197/200, i would expect to see a much greater improvement in all aspects of quality (which i agree they've got some of it right), but also a noticeable leap in power and speed. 0.2 seconds in real world everyday driving is nothing, and anyone who argues differently may as well p**s in the wind.

I know what a lot of people on here are trying to say, and hey, i've never driven a 197 or 200 so can't coment from personal driving experience. I have been a passenger in a 197 (which was being driven quickly) and i must say it felt rather boring, didn't even feel like it had any urgency. Not like when i sit in the passenger seat of my 182, or my friends 205gti. It's changed it's appearance and it's personality TOO much imo.

All i know is that in my all be it short experience of driving (4 years), i've owned 2 182's and they have both been great. They may knock and squeek a little, but these cars are upwards of 5 years old now. What do you expect with the shocking quality of roads in this country. Give a 197/200 a review in 5 years time time and i bet there will be similar complaints too.

In the real world on an everyday commute, or on a nice summers day run to a distant pub (via a few B roads), the 1*2 would have to be the real winner.
They can be 2 things:
1) more stealthy and less in your face when you're just not in the mood to rag the b****cks of it
2) an epic weapon against most other run of the mill big engined cars when the opportunity arises

Both of the above are what really make me smile.

260% JCW
Ahhhhhhhh haaaa! Wind up a troll. They should call you Braveheart, you came out of your corner like an animal, insults and all and got beat down.

Cut down because its s**t!

LMFAO

Great write up there fool, but last time i look'd this was a Clio 197 or Clio 182 thread.

Clio 182
182s are quicker just to let ya no! 197 as standard has better brakes an seats but nothing you cant replace. both nice but i say 182 with both cup packs all the way.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
182 Sport was not a consistant award winning car in the eyes of the motoring press.

200 has been received rave reviews and awards and was voted best hot hatch against cars with twice the BHP in the Stig Shootout (August 2010 Top Gear Magazine).

Show me an equivilent review of a 182 or 172 Sport?

182 Sport 0-62 = 7.1 Seconds
200 Sport 0-62 = 6.9 Seconds

200 is faster through corners and brakes better. 200 is built better. 182 is a heap of s**te in comparison :rasp:

My 2 pence.
200 has rave reviews. - 182 Trophy is EVO's 7th best ever handling car
200 Sport 0-62 = 6.9 Seconds - EVO magazine recorded a their trophy at 6.6 seconds.
Even though I like the 200, theres no getting around the fact that it looks like this:
Catfish_325.jpg
A 182 does not...

320d
Completely different cars really. A 182 is a more old school hot hatch. The 197/200 is a modern hot hatch its bigger, heavier, more powerful, better brakes, fatter tyres, bigger wheels...

Personally as a daily driver i'd rather have the MK3, but for purely a toy i'd have the 182. However due to budget constraints i'll probably get a mk2 when I get another RS Clio.

Renault Clio 182 Cup
I like the 200 but i have never driven one. I own a 182 with both cup packs and i frigging love it.

Might as well name this thread the "what car do you own" thread since the poll results would be the same.

I obviously prefer the car I own (197) since I would have bought a 182 if I preferred that. I prefer it because it's newer, less mileage, less common (in this country), better build quality, quicker (in a straight line at least), better looking (subjective of course) and possibly have less reliability gremlins given its low mileage and age compared to a 182.

The 182 is a cracker car of course, but the 197 simply offers more for what I am after with a car at this point in time.

Earpl

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Another great example of the smacktards on this forum....

I have a phase 1 172 it goes like stink + I love it.

My mate has a new 200. I've driven it, and its f**king awesome. Not quite as quick as mine off the mark, but if it was stripped out i'm sure it would be. But get to the bends + its up my arse like a CS member to a moderator..... Great handling, great brakes, great gearing. Just awesome.

Only downfall of the 200 is the fuel consumption compared to the 172.

Rb 182
i have a clio sport 182 in rb, love it, they look good un-touched but a few little mods dont hurt for personality :)

LY R26
Know this thread is getting on a bit.
I have a 182 Cup, and I had a Trophy & 172 Cup before hand.

Trophy is undoubtedly epic.

I'd sooner have a 197 Cup than my 182 Cup.

Clio 182 FF
stupid thread tbh. people who own 182 are going to say 182 and people with 197 are going to say that. I have a 182 and never drove a 197 so I dont possibly no!

White ds3
i went from a 182 to a r27 and i still own and drive the 182 but i the r27 is a million miles better in so may ways but that is my personal opinion ill be keepin this one a while as ill be buying a house this year so no new car for a while then lol

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
prefer the look of the 197, but would rather have a Trophy, just to be a legend...

oh and I own a 172....

Swift Sport
I think it depends what's done to them... I'd always choose a 'sorted' car with performance enhancing modifications over standard stuff. The 197 I had was way better than any stock Clio I've driven.

Focus RS mk1
ive just come from a 172 into a 197, 172 had plenty changes, coilovers, cams, exhaust.... so going into a 197 is a totaly different drive, its not as quick in a straight line but thats boring right, the ride and handling is so much smoother and more stable, gearbox is a dream compared to the 172, mpg is shocking but this really is the only thing in my opinion my old car had over the new 1.

I love it and theres no way i will spend silly money on this like i did on the 172, just simple reasonable priced changes to the looks

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
ive just come from a 172 into a 197, 172 had plenty changes, coilovers, cams, exhaust.... so going into a 197 is a totaly different drive, its not as quick in a straight line but thats boring right, the ride and handling is so much smoother and more stable, gearbox is a dream compared to the 172, mpg is shocking but this really is the only thing in my opinion my old car had over the new 1.

I love it and theres no way i will spend silly money on this like i did on the 172, just simple reasonable priced changes to the looks

Happy new car mate GREAT colour :approve: Will keep me eye out for it !

I've never driven either but based on what I'd use it for (daily) it would be the 197, even though i prefer the looks of the 182.