ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - Track Toy

Getting bored recently and I am tempted to get a Clio 172 Cup as a track car, some of them can be picked up quite cheap, ones without tax and test, and ones that have previously been damaged etc. Looking at around £750 and have a few on the table at the moment. N to fully committed to a clio yet as I have a few questions if you don't mind answering -

Cheapest & Best power Upgrades?
Interior Price - How much for a full interior, all panels, roof lining etc everything?
Common faults that may happen from the car being battered around the track?

Thats all I can think off for now! Already have a recovery truck and a navara, as well as my MK5 astra daily drive so transporting etc and space is not an issues just want a little fun on a budget!

Thanks
Simon

RenaultSport 172
There are no cheap power upgrades. Just keep it standard. You'll get extra performance from stripping it out so should be plenty fast enough.

I've seen full interiors sell for pretty cheap. Depends what condition the seats are in. The cup seats won't be as easy to sell as the half leather seats from a normal 172.
I sold all the seats from my ph1 for £50 but the drivers was quite worn.

As for common faults, wheel bolts can come loose. A stud & nut kit might be worth it if its mainly used on track. Can't think of anything else really.
I track mine and they are very fun to drive and quite capable little cars

Well that sounds good then, don't need to spend much on it! Never had a clio, had my MK5 Golf Gti and a woman decided to hit me head on, then got a 320d, 525 in pearl white, then a 300bhp MK5 GTi - Then came back to a truck and astra so I really miss my speed but love have economical cars so just wanted a toy really. Will stick the interior up cheap then - if it's any good that is! Thanks for your help so far, will get a stud kit no doubt then. Won't ever be on the road only for track so will get the kit ordered. Phase 2 i think is the correct term for the shape I'm after (the one newer then your avatar)?

Thanks
Simon

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Just ranted my bog standard Cup round a very wet and occasionally dry Castle Combe on 195/45 road tyres and no complaints. We're running two up as well so it's more like a phase 2 172 running one up with a better setup for track use and we still spent most of day overtaking.

Just depends what you want from a track car.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
^^ yes it's the mk2 ph2 172 you are looking at. They only did the 172 Cup in the ph2 , most are mondial blue but they are a few iceburg silver ones about but are quite rare

All 172 Cups are lighter with no abs and no aircon (although was an option) but you'll not want that if getting it for a track toy

As said wouldn't chase more power if wanting to keep it cheap