ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup- Track Car

172 Cup (Track)
I told you the nos bottle isnt connected.. Lol.

Lol @ the 52 card pick-up. I just quickly stripped my spare gearbox on my lunch there, i must admit 2 of the ball bearings did go flying and caught me unaware, even though i knew they were there. Duh! Satisfied that they can be stripped with nothing more than basic tools now though! :)

Checked repair time for remove/ replace gearbox- 8hours!! Argh!

172 Cup (Track)
Ok, so got my gearbox out and opened up and the gear edges are rounded and damaged. As are the synchro hubs.

I have a spare box and its no better. Nightmare.

I really need 2nd, 3rd, 4th and both synchro hubs. Surely cost s fortune.

As you can see in pic, the lower gear (1st) looks a lot better condition than the upper (2nd) gear!

A211DAB2-330B-4A5F-8F1C-742F9EFD7D18_zpstzase8t5.jpg

172 Cup (Track)
watched you're video.... car is flying round the track! looks great!

Cheers mate, it really was driving great from the word go. Never adjusted a thing from start to finish, never lifted my bonnet or anything- ideal. :) Really couldnt have been much happier with everything bar the bloody gearbox!

172 Cup (Track)
I really havent done much with gearboxes, but to me the synchros look fine and the gears and hubs are what have damage to them. Its not crazy fucked but probably doesnt take much when your changing quickly at 7500rpm..!?
See better here
079C2EA7-EF5C-41A2-B153-15E228195F54_zpsrr8aynbc.jpg

4BA872C4-C1BF-4919-B16F-1EB1FF11029D_zps0fux0uqp.jpg

172 Cup (Track)
great vid.you destroyed the silver clio. well done. i also watched your other vid of the clio spinning off lol.

Yeh i dont know how it managed that, the silver clio has short gearing, but that should make it quicker again..

The spin, is our very own MG Cup here.. Lol

172 Cup (Track)
It was crunching before Knockhill but i replaced oil with the proper Elf stuff and had my fingers crossed. Didnt work..

I did around 60 laps and it was crunching on most up shifts and down into 3rd then 2nd into hairpin, unless i managed to give it a good enough heel and toe to help it. Haha.

Im struggling for a gearbox now, just realised the gearbox that ive taken out is a Phase 1 089 box with the longer final drive, which ideally i dont want as its going to be slowing it a bit. My spare is a 130 so has no speedo drive.

Fraser is bringing me 2 gearboxes later, one is a Ph1 and one a Ph2 so im hoping to feck the ph2 is a 129. Unlikely!

If i had known i had a Ph1 box in it, id have left it in and finished it off this weekend then got a Cup 129 and fitted good condition gear cluster from a Laguna or something then swapped that in!

Cup In bits
You don't need to be going any faster haha. Are you sure that one you have isn't a hybrid?

Hope you get something, I have speedo drive cup box sat here that you could have which wasn't crunching too bad when removed, I was doing the clutch so just swapped it out. The synchros would need done like.

Aye I forgot to ask.... Did your DT lap timer work?

172 Cup (Track)
Thanks again for offer. Ive bought a Cup box that im hoping to fit Friday night! Lol.

Lap timer seemed to work, although it sometimes missed picking up the beacon and recorded a time for 2 laps. Ill increase sensitivity and should be fine. Never needed beacon either- happy with that!

172 Cup (Track)
Thankfully got gearbox on time last Friday, stripped it and found it to be mint, changed usual leaking selector seal, rebuilt it and fitted. Ready and on track last Saturday and was going well again. Unfortunately lost a rear brake pad on a warm up lap and missed out on the 6 Clio train session.

That could have been a lot worse, so ive fitted new pads and made sure that cant happen again as ive heard its common! Bought a lock wire kit and done this

8e8y4enu.jpg

abageda8.jpg

Cup In bits
Its a load off the mind having that done after having the same bother, the pad fixing is a stupid arrangement anyway.

Just seen your for sale add Gaz, what's that ahhh aboot?

172 Cup (Track)
Aye, pads coming out can be deadly realistically!

I had a great idea of buying a Mini cup car to race if i sell Clio. Only if though.

172 Cup (Track)
If any of yous want to drill holes like i have, you can either borrow the kit at Knockhill or ill do it for you when we're next up at same time.

Cup In bits
Aye, pads coming out can be deadly realistically!

I had a great idea of buying a Mini cup car to race if i sell Clio. Only if though.

Bottom of Duffus with sponges missus in the car was an arse twitcher.

Haha, good racing but have you got shares in a body shop and minispares. Supporting the BTCC must be epic though.