ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car hesistating, Missfiring after low petrol...

I made another thread and got some answers but i want to start again now and simplify things.

I let my car run too low on petrol (im pretty sure this is where the problems have come from).

The car missfires in revese and sometimes in 1st, And is hesitant when putting my foot to the floor.

The local garage told me to fill the tank to the brim and drive it, It seemed to have got better but its now hesitating still and the emissions light is on when driven for a while..

Anyone got any suggestions as to what to do? I was thinking fill up to the brim again and try some petrol treatment to see if it clears any injector blockage, Or not a good idea?

Other than that changing the spark plugs, And the fuel filter? (where is it and is it a big job to change?)

Sorry for the long post, Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mk2 1.2 16v
Lambda sensor?

Thread on here a while back about them, I'll see if I can find it for you.
I had the exact same problems with mine a while back (but not the misfires - though I think problems with it can cause these as well) saw the thread and replaced mine. All good since then :)

Cheers, I am wondering if it could be it, My emmisions light is on.. So anyone know if thats a sign?

Just weird that my petrol light was on (and stupdly i drove it, But not sure how many miles i did) Then when i start it up in the car park its jerking and hesistating.

mk2 1.2 16v
Not an expert by any means but from what I read up on it when I suspected mine was faulty the symptoms include emissions warning light, engine running strangely, decreased performance and increased fuel consumption.
As I said I'm sure I saw/heard somewhere that it can cause misfires as well but dont quote me on it.

Could be wrong but all of that sounds similar to what you are experiencing so I'd suspect that it was the lambda sensor.

How many miles has your car done? I read that they should be replaced every 30-50,000 miles (mines approaching 70 lol). So even if it turns out not to be that it could still be worth investing in a new one as it'll save you money on petrol in the long run and possibly improve the performance.

As I say I could be completely wrong about all of this but I hope its of some help.

Cheers,
Graham

Yeah i think it could be, Cars done 58k.

Anyone got a link or part code for the lambda sensor please?

Also spark plugs for a 1.2 16v 2003

I still think it could be a blocked injector, Are these easy to remove? My dads got an ultrasonic, Ive read about people cleaning the injectors using ultrasonic cleaning? Would this work?

Cheers.

Drove the car today, Kept it under 3000 revs and drove it slow and calm, No lights and only hesitated if i tried to put my foot down, And slightly in 1st.

Just pulled the Spark plug leads out, the inside of the tube was clean, The lead ends themself has some slight white powder but looked clean. I dont have the tool to take the spark plugs out so i cant inspect.

Im wondering weather to fill up to the brim and try some petrol treatment?

Was the coilpack though?

Possibly, I thought it was low because of the juddering, But probably no lower than usual town trip more than i should have but its fine now the coilpacks changed.

Glad you got it sorted, was just about to say won't be anything to do with driving it when the petrol light is on, nothing wrong with that at all.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I have the same problem when idleing you can here the exhuast popping a bit then when i floor it some times its judders up the revs between 2-3k do you think if i changed the coil pack and leads it would fix it?

Yeah sounds like a missfire, You got any lights up on the dash? Get it plugged in if so and it will tell the mechanic. I would try coilpack first.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yer well i have no lights on the dash, i got a price from GSF for the coil pack and leads and in total including VAT it was £101.

Sounds about what i paid, It said £90 on the slip but after VAT...

Change it over first then see if it solves it.

I thought mine would be a lot of different things but was just the coilpack.

Fabia vrs tdi
emissions warning light came on today about 15 mins before i got my new exhaust fitted.

It seems to have just happened when the fuel light came on its almost as if it didnt like running low on petrol perhaps crap at the bottom of the tank, i put £15 of petrol in but still hasnt gone off so hoping it goes off tomorrow.

the emmisions warning light on my step dads bmw comes on now and again he seems to think its down to different petrol, it also came on in my old corsa and the emissions light went out after i topped it up with petrol.

it doesnt seem to be causing the car any problems while the light is it but niot sure if i should wait another day see if it goes out till i get my garage to do a diagnostic check on it.

new ktec supersports zaust sounds excellent not too loud but I need to get a bush/rubber bit whatever there called the back left one has broke and the left pipe is hanging down slightly and i need to know where to get one that aint gonna cost me much

thanks for reading

CLIO 1.2 16V MK2 EXPR
this happens to me on a regular basis as i always leave it to the very last minute to refuel! i know this is bad but due to lack of money i have to make it last! :nono:

my dad tells me its due the the 'gunk' that accumilates from the petrol.
i top up the petrol and drive around for abit to clear the 'gunk' and it seems to be fine...

Ph1
this happens to me on a regular basis as i always leave it to the very last minute to refuel! i know this is bad but due to lack of money i have to make it last! :nono:

i top up the petrol and drive around for abit to clear the 'gunk' and it seems to be fine...

Mine always says this too but i reckon its just a age thing ;):rasp:

Was gonna say you have dragged some s**t from the bottom of the tank running it too low

Yeah don't you hate getting fuel from the bottom of the petrol tank...

...oh wait, the fuel pipe is at the bottom of the tank.

Old wives tale. You have a fuel filter to stop any crap in the fuel getting through.