ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BTCC Super Tourers Make A Return (sort of)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
F*cking awesome!

Now we just need them to drop the borefest that is both Porsche championships,
I always fast forward those as you can count the overtakes on one hand.

Clio Cup
IIRC Oulton Drew the Biggest Crowd last year

Makes good Tele too specially this year they are using the full international with Shell oils loop

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oops - thanks to whoever moved this to the correct section! :eek:

I hope it proves popular so that we see further Super Touring events at other circuits during the race season. So many fond memories from all those years ago; watching these cars door-to-door racing. Great drivers / characters, great cars. I just hope it's not some watered-down thing and that we see some full-blooded racing! :cool:

Clio 182
There's something a bit wrong when the support race will definitely be better than the main one........... but in reality I couldn't give a f**k cause the super touring days were awesome!

Because I'll take any excuse:

volvo-850btcc.jpg

Clio 182
Oooh, I might have to go to that. Real fond memories of watching these cars when I was a kid, BTCC in the 90s will probably always be my favourite racing series.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
the problem is if it's 1991 to 2000 this will not include the RS500 will it not.....:dapprove:

Edit just looked there were two may be three used in 1991 (probably private entrants)

The HSCC Super Touring Trophy ran a 5 or so race calendar last year, visiting tracks like Silverstone, Thruxton etc so it's already out there to go and watch.

Absolutely brilliant to see it supporting a BTCC round though. Last year the Silverstone round coincided with the Silverstone classic.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I was speaking to one of the mechanics of the works Mazda 323 last year about this, can't wait for this and it's on my doorstep which is a nice bonus :)

WRX
Saw similar at Silverstone last year, just shows the advances in chassis technology. Was great to see and Tim Harvey back in a 500 leading for most of the race was superb.

However, there's better racing at Donington on the 7th ;)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
This is going to be awesome, my dad used to take me to croft to see these in the 90's and I loved it! I will be booking tickets asap..

Merc A class
Its been in the pipeline, A few of them were testing @ Donnington not so long ago it should be great to watch!

Tav

Clio 197
I can't see the link but thought I'd comment anyhow. Last year at Knockhill there was a Mondeo V6 (when they were blue), Cleland's white Cavalier with gold BBS yum and one of the late Honda Accords doing demo laps. It was amazing to see....then two of them clipped each other :eek:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd love to get to watch the 500s being properly used in anger again, but sadly if any do go I suspect they wont be quite as on it as they used to be (too valuable now and no longer factory money)

Still sounds cool though.

500s in use properly:

I still love touring cars today, but lets face it these days it is just a bunch of uninteresting cars boringly following each other around dull circuits compared to the 89 birmingham superprix!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182
I'm struggling to resist posting photos of every car I'd hope to see there! I grew up watching BTCC, my Dad was mates with Will Hoy (RIP) so we always got given some tickets for Knockhill each season.

I still remember a young lad getting on the bus down to the car parks at Powmill with a Honda Accord rear bumper over his shoulder :)

Swift Sport
I made this video from last year...

Only used my phone so it's not great, however I had an awesome time.

Last edited by a moderator:
  275 Trophy
Will deffo be there for this, as I was the first time round most years. It'll only partly make up for no F3 at Oulton this year though.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Really, really looking forward to this now... I'll be heading up with my better half and friends / members of my car club. We all remember the era fondly... happy days. :)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
I'd love to get to watch the 500s being properly used in anger again, but sadly if any do go I suspect they wont be quite as on it as they used to be (too valuable now and no longer factory money)

Still sounds cool though.

I do think your quite right in think that but in reality they still get pushed pretty hard. The drivers aren't the owners much of the time and its bloody hard to take the red mist away from some drivers. Harvey pushed the 500 to breaking point at Silverstone Classic last year whilst trying to prove a thing or two to younger drivers. Was a great spectacle seeing it squirm out of corners. It was a very wide field of cars by all accounts though with classes being judged on pre and post sequential 'boxed cars etc etc. With a larger number of cars it will be very close racing I'm sure.