ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well the shims have arrived for the dairy milk, sorry, jc5 so it was time to make a start.

I started off by checking the preload on the input shaft using one of the old shims as a guide. This is very much a job done by feel. The Renault way is to use a dti gauge to measure the lift without a shim fitted, then calculate the correct shim to add the required amount of preload. Or in another description, a load of b****cks. I build up gearboxes in trucks as part of my day job, so I think I'll stick with how I do them! Lol! 15k truck box and a 100% success rate vs a 20p jc5.......hmmm, yes I'll stick to my way thanks.

Input shaft:
image.jpg

Giving it a bit of a 'feel' with the casing on.
image.jpg
In this case it needed a bit of adjustment, so this was carried out until I was satisfied.

Moving on to the mainshaft. Did the same thing and tried it using the original shim. It needed adjustment also, but it's been fully stripped to a bare shaft and had new bearings fitted so this doesn't really come as much surprise.
image.jpg

Here are the shims in question. As you can see, I've got plenty in stock!
image.jpg

After the 2 shafts are done it's time to move on to the diff. Same method - old shim, try it, adjust as necessary.
image.jpg
There's a lot of faffing around with these gearboxes! You spend a lot of time building it up, checking, building up, checking etc etc to get the desired preload.
Fitted and carrying out tightening:
image.jpg
image.jpg
The diff nut has to be torqued up to 130Nm so this ^^^ little bad boy comes into its own.

Once I was happy I fired all the shafts in and gave the box a spin over to settle everything back in together. It's a bit stiff as the mainshaft is bone dry so the synchros are dragging. Bit of jollop and they're like brand new. Lol!
image.jpg

Next on the hit list will be the selectors sand final assembly. By far the worst bit of the job thanks to the shite way the gear selector is designed.
That's a job for another day though!

More to come.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It all sounds like a pain rebuilding the box, how long does it take from start to finish?
Yeah they're not the best, but I've done worse. If you've got all the bits there in front of you and ready to go I'd say about 3-4hrs work. Just to put it into perspective though, I can remove, strip, repair, rebuild and refit a truck box in 9hrs. Lol

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Does sound bad when you think that a truck box will have 16 gears, splitters high and low ratios etc (have not got a clue what that lot looks like inside lol)

When do you think you will get it running?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Does sound bad when you think that a truck box will have 16 gears, splitters high and low ratios etc (have not got a clue what that lot looks like inside lol)

When do you think you will get it running?
Exactly! Lol! They're not actually that bad inside mate. There's 3 main gears, 1 splitter gear and then the range change that's on the back of the box. Combined together you get a 12spd gearbox.

Not sure when it'll be running tbh. I've got the loom to make next. That'll be a raychem bastardisation of a 172 and 197 loom.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently they're a piece of piss to do. I'm really tempted to give it a go myself but there's nothing I hate more than the snell off gearbox oil lol

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
My dad used to have a haulage firm, I remember taking a Volvo box for rebuild somewhere your way years ago

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Nothing to update on the dairy milk progress, I couldn't be arsed today. Thought I'd show off my latest delivery and I fully expect it to divide opinion.

My track wheels are 15" turinis and tbh I think the car looks better on 16's. I know it's not about looks, but as with the engine, I like to go against to general consensus!!
I've bought a set of 16" superleggeras that will be painted in the green that adorns the inlet manifold and other items on the car. The wheels will be wrapped in a tasty set of 205/45 kuhmo V70a's in medium compound.

Time to try something different!!
image.jpg

More to come!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Nice change Mark. You not tempted with some kermit 2118s? :)

They already primed, hard to tell on my phone? Will you bake them once you've painted or just let them air dry before refitting the tyres?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Nice change Mark. You not tempted with some kermit 2118s? :smile:

They already primed, hard to tell on my phone? Will you bake them once you've painted or just let them air dry before refitting the tyres?
No definitely not tempted by 2118's mate! Never been a fan tbh.

They've been acid dipped mate so bare aluminium atm. They'll be done in whatever process my mate does them! Lol! He does them that cheap it's pointless me even wasting my time.