ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Have you worked out how you'll plumb in the Laminova yet?

I'm considering getting one for my R26 to help the oil warm up quicker.
Yes mate. It's going in the coolant pipe that comes out of the engine to the rad. It's not ideal in terms of maximum cooling efficiency of the engine oil, but it'll hopefully be minimal.
They should be positioned on the rad outlet ideally. I couldn't be arsed to try and package it in there and I know @Cupman29 runs his in the same position mine will be in on his turbo motor.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes mate. It's going in the coolant pipe that comes out of the engine to the rad. It's not ideal in terms of maximum cooling efficiency of the engine oil, but it'll hopefully be minimal.
They should be positioned on the rad outlet ideally. I couldn't be arsed to try and package it in there and I know @Cupman29 runs his in the same position mine will be in on his turbo motor.

That's probably better for warming the engine oil though which is what I want it for.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's probably better for warming the engine oil though which is what I want it for.
Yeah definitely mate. Your restricted size wise anyway on the laminovas, but they are very effective. Mine used to be in residence cooling my quaife straight cut box, so it only seems right that it's being utilised in my new project. Same goes for the twin fans.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Never tested mine for long before changing my setup and its still not completed but on a trackday I did do, oil temps never went above 100 and I was giving it a good go.

The cooler is fitted on the bottom rad hose and fits nicely there. It does heat up the oil quicker as well. Subarus use a similar design on the oil modine for this very reason along with the cooling effect at higher oil temps.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Done a few more bits and pieces today. Thanks to the ridiculously massive carbon airbox and the pms manifold, the original header tank stands more chance of getting a w**k off the pope than it does fitting in the engine bay. So I decided to drastic measures were required. See if you can spot what's been done!
image.jpg
Yes that's right sports fans, I've relieved the bulkhead to allow the header tank to sit in the recess and give me the required clearance. Thank f**k for nibblers!

Finished off by making up the framework for the radiator shroud/fan mounts. Just needs welding on now.
image.jpg
Just the pegs for the rad to subframe mounts and one on the top, and she's ready to go.

More to come.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
really impressed Mark,
How hard is it to dou your own gearbox?
need special tools and such?
Thanks mate!

To do your own gearbox isn't that hard if you know how to get the box apart and you have a basic understanding of how these things work. Tools wise @not normal dan has seen me strip one with an impact gun, various sockets, hammer, drift and a blow torch. Lol!
The worst part is getting 5th gear off and splitting the casings. After that your looking at needing a puller of some sort to strip the mainshaft down. You also need a special socket to undo the nut for the diff, but these can be had for about £20. If your renewing bearings you will need a set of shims for the 2 shafts and the diff.

I still prefer stripping truck gearboxes though to jc's!!

Progress is looking good, be really good to see the finished results!
Is there a guide anywhere for clearances and preloads for the Clio boxes?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Progress is looking good, be really good to see the finished results!
Is there a guide anywhere for clearances and preloads for the Clio boxes?
Thanks. It's definitely getting there now.
Regards the clearances and preloads it's all in the pdf manuals I've got mate. You measure the lift without a shim in using a dti gauge, then select the correct sized one to add the required amount of preload.

Hmm, I have a spare box and my current one is starting to crunch second (and is missing the speedo drive) so it was a toss up between just nailing it in, or sending it away for a rebuild. I'm fairly competent mechanically (built cars, engines, rebuilt motorbikes), but never specifically done gearboxes beyond swapping clusters between cases. What do you reckon are my chances of success?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hmm, I have a spare box and my current one is starting to crunch second (and is missing the speedo drive) so it was a toss up between just nailing it in, or sending it away for a rebuild. I'm fairly competent mechanically (built cars, engines, rebuilt motorbikes), but never specifically done gearboxes beyond swapping clusters between cases. What do you reckon are my chances of success?
Well if you get 5th gear off without damaging it and split the casing ok you shouldn't be too bad tbh. They're just awkward.

Clio 200
Hi mate, good to see you have a build thread now, I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how you get on :smile:

Btw mines mostly done now, made 215bhp on RS Tuning's rollers, so a mega improvement over the 195bhp I picked it up with lol! I guess that's the gauntlet for you as far as F4R830's on the OE plenum/TB setup go! I reckon there's more to get mind because my centre system is crappy. Can't remember if I said over PM or not but I lost 10bhp between runs at SRR when installing a silencer in the middle - I noticed yesterday the people who did it have reduced the bore size of the system just before the silencer ffs! So I reckon I can pick up some of those lost bhp with a proper fresh system.

Anyway enough spam from me :smile: Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi mate, good to see you have a build thread now, I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how you get on :smile:

Btw mines mostly done now, made 215bhp on RS Tuning's rollers, so a mega improvement over the 195bhp I picked it up with lol! I guess that's the gauntlet for you as far as F4R830's on the OE plenum/TB setup go! I reckon there's more to get mind because my centre system is crappy. Can't remember if I said over PM or not but I lost 10bhp between runs at SRR when installing a silencer in the middle - I noticed yesterday the people who did it have reduced the bore size of the system just before the silencer ffs! So I reckon I can pick up some of those lost bhp with a proper fresh system.

Anyway enough spam from me :smile: Cheers
Hi mate! Yeah it seemed to generate a bit of interest so I thought I'd continue it.

Good news on yours then! Glad it's now making the power it should've been first time around. To get 215 on Rs tuning's rollers is a good result as well as they're notorious for being accurate.
Bad news on the exhaust though! I've got a more free flowing centre section for my Btb system in a bid to reduce the losses, but tbh it makes what it makes. This build isn't about chasing hp it's about doing something different for myself really. After spending some time looking over the pms manifold though, it can easily be converted to be a turbo manifold. :cool: Lol!

Spam away mate tbh, I don't mind! I've got another tiny update to do in a bit.

Clio 200
Yeah it makes what it makes is probably the best way to approach it, especially on these engines. Full credit though for doing the work yourself - I wish I had the skill and confidence as well as space & facilities to try and learn half the stuff needed for engine building. Oh and don't resort to the darkside by cutting up that lovely exhaust manifold for a snail - just bow down to some ITB's instead :wink: Dude if I had a Gen90 equiv and scuttle room like you do it would be rude not to!! :smiley:

I'll let you know if I ever change exhaust and extract some more, but I have months worth of track days to catch up on now so no changes for a while yet!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Only a small update, but I thought I'd show off the new rad. Collected it on Saturday afternoon, and I'm VERY pleased with it. Few pics:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The frame around the front of the rad is there to serve 2 purposes. One is to funnel the air through the rad for maximum efficiency, and the other is to serve as a support/mount for the front section of the carbon airbox.
I also decided to frame the rear to help as a guide for the outbound air. The bottom rad inlet pipe has also been altered to match the original clio one. OCD struck!

This is the current situation with the gearbox. Turns out some bell end has forgot to order the shims for the diff..........that'll be me then.
image.jpg
The original engine and box is coming out this week and the new one is going in irrespective, so if needs be I'll lift the box in over the top afterwards. Who needs the gym eh?

More to come!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah it makes what it makes is probably the best way to approach it, especially on these engines. Full credit though for doing the work yourself - I wish I had the skill and confidence as well as space & facilities to try and learn half the stuff needed for engine building. Oh and don't resort to the darkside by cutting up that lovely exhaust manifold for a snail - just bow down to some ITB's instead :wink: Dude if I had a Gen90 equiv and scuttle room like you do it would be rude not to!! :smiley:

I'll let you know if I ever change exhaust and extract some more, but I have months worth of track days to catch up on now so no changes for a while yet!
I'll never turn to the darkside! f**k itbs! Lol!
If it was to ever run itbs though, I'd definitely consider running the air intake from the scuttle.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Keep the pms manifold as it is :) What type of gains are to be expected from the pms manifold alone?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The rad and the welding looks good.
Glad you know where all them bits go in the box, you ordered the shims now?
Yeah shame it's gonna be out of sight! Lol!
Yes mate ordered the shims now and they'll be here tomorrow or Thursday. No chance the box will be built up in time for me to fire it all in though unfortunately. Looks like it's going in through the top!

Clio 200
It'll get the s**t beaten out of it every time I drive it mate! It's like a prostitue. There to be abused. And then cost you a fortune for having the pleasure of It's company. Lol
haha :smiley:
I'll never turn to the darkside! f**k itbs! Lol!
If it was to ever run itbs though, I'd definitely consider running the air intake from the scuttle.
ITB's rock! My old car sounded like Chewbacca in a helicopter!
Scuttle feed would be nice, probably different mk2 to mk3, but in either case do you reckon it could be done whilst still retaining a modicum of weather sealing or would that promote it well into track/fair weather toy use ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
ITB's rock! My old car sounded like Chewbacca in a helicopter!
Scuttle feed would be nice, probably different mk2 to mk3, but in either case do you reckon it could be done whilst still retaining a modicum of weather sealing or would that promote it well into track/fair weather toy use ?
No interest whatsoever in ITB's though unfortunately mate. Yeah absolute piece of piss to do it. Weather sealing? Not a thing to worry about mate. There's no way that enough water could enter the engine to cause any issues. You'd have to submerge it in water to do any damage. If you were that concerned though you could drill some holes in the air feed to allow any water to escape. Doesn't cause issues on CTR's though with the gruppe m induction kit.

Clio 200
Yeah I suppose that is all the gruppe kit is, fairly small opening and like you say they also have a drain hole. I just had visions of big cut out scuttles like the 106 Maxi's! Well it's something to consider if I go that route one day. Though I was thinking the advantage of the 200 front end and that black nose part, is that it's removable so it would be cheap and reversible to take a hole saw to a spare black nose section.
Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I suppose that is all the gruppe kit is, fairly small opening and like you say they also have a drain hole. I just had visions of big cut out scuttles like the 106 Maxi's! Well it's something to consider if I go that route one day. Though I was thinking the advantage of the 200 front end and that black nose part, is that it's removable so it would be cheap and reversible to take a hole saw to a spare black nose section.
Cheers
106 maxi's were done like that because the ITB's are facing backwards mate. Taking air from the scuttle panel gives a good cold feed too. It's also at a constant pressure as well which makes it nigh on perfect!
You can get a front mounted carbon airbox for the Clio which has a filter incorporated into the front of it. That's possibly what I'd use if it was to go ITB's. It fits under the slam panel.

Is the front section on the 197/200 part of the crash structure? Sure I read it was.

Clio 200
Yeah if I kept my 106 I was considering drilling 4 larger trumpet sized holes on that part of the bulk head to get some air! Not sure if the driver facing inlet makes the 106 on ITB's sound even louder, but it sounded bat s**t crazy anyway :D
Regards the mk3 front end, I guess it could form some part of a crumble zone but as it's all plastic I wouldn't expect it for form anything structural from a ridgity point of view? I've seen a few cars with ITB's now (using AT power kit I think), whilst the inlet tract is perhaps shorter than ideal it seems to fit ok, and I could drill that front black piece for decent air delivery. It is very interesting reading about what you said about the taper right through to the port and valve, not heard of 7deg's before. I'm aware SBD were using taper bodies to great effect on the 2.0XE and Duratecs, so will investigate this. I ran straight 45's on my 106, so I would think you'd want at least a straight 48's on the F4R, ideally a taper though is the way forward I think.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well today was the day of reckoning for the original engine and gearbox. Pushed the car out of the garage and got it up in the air. Removed the shafts out of the box and made a start on getting it ready to lift out, complete with the gearbox.
The weather had other ideas though and decided to piss on me for a good hour or so. Thanks.
Eventually this happened
image.jpg

Once I'd got the engine and box out I pushed it back in the garage and degreased the engine bay. Couple of bits looked a bit tired so I gave them a dose of mondial blue and lacquer o freshen them up
image.jpg
image.jpg

Successfully gassed myself out on the paint fumes and blew mondial blue snot out doing this! Lol!

Then this happened
image.jpg

Trolley jack is doing the job of holding the engine up for the time being. Box is going on over the top once I've built it up(still waiting on the shims for the diff), so that'll be a job for next week I imagine.

More to come!