ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bomber's new project. MX5 content

Qashcow
Sc might come with time. Depends how much rust I find in the arches next spring. I've got a wedding and honeymoon to worry about before charging something else.

Cliobritt, was your dads the one you posted on here about 12months ago making 190-odd bhp, built for under £1k? I tried searching it a while ago...

Anyway, tonight I popped down to Weston super mud and rode the donkeys round the beach. It was fun. I then got bored and bought some more genuine fake items to follow on from my clio exploits. I clearly havent learnt the phrase 'buy cheap, buy twice' yet. Ah well, they look sexual

3a8b61c4.jpg

Qashcow
They seem alright, despite the many haters of Rota out there. The speed this mx5 goes, all four wheels could spontaneously vaporise and I don't think I'd notice lol.

15 x 8j ET0

195/50/15 means I can afford tyres to now get drifting on. The 14" tyres are about £70 EACH, 15" are £32 each. Simple maths state these wheels haven't actually cost me anything. At least that's what I'm telling wifey ;)

Qashcow
I know what you mean, I had actual genuine Volks on my GTR so may I be a little forgiven?

Pmsl malice, I had you in mind when I was handing the monies over

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Don't worry about arch roller, stick the wheels on and get a baseball bat then stick it between the arch and the wheel and push the car forwards.... Or scaffolding pole.... If needs be I can get u a roller in glos at the garage.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Nice find, I love these so much I'm itching to get another but I tell myself NO.

You're going to have trouble with buckets and MX5s. The subframes do NOT allow for much room at all. I tried buying 2 sets of different bucket seats on ebay and neither of them fit.

I forget the name of them, but they're the buckets that you put in Elises, they're very thin (or indeed just regular Elise seats fit). But you're very restricted in choice, doubly so with a cage fitted.

As far as boosting goes, you won't be getting 190bhp with £1000, not unless you do some stealing or buy 2nd hand from someone who doesn't know what it is. You can pick up the JRSC for a 1.6 for around that price, but I believe it's hot side so no intercooler and that gives about 150-160 horse.

Capable supercharger kit for the 1.8 is about 2.5k new (although this may be out of date as I haven't looked for a while), but sounds like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
  Qashcow
Don't worry about arch roller, stick the wheels on and get a baseball bat then stick it between the arch and the wheel and push the car forwards.... Or scaffolding pole.... If needs be I can get u a roller in glos at the garage.

Few people have said that, I'd rather use a proper roller if I can as I don't think it's going to be quite low enough to be able to use a bar. Not till I get some proper low coilies anyway.

I thought you had maybe gone for the Circuit 8's with the 888's ;)

They weren't wide enough ;) was looking good until I worked out they only come in 6.5" wide, And R888's would be way tooooo much overkill for this little power lol.

Regarding the 190bhp, I can't remember where I saw it and who knows what's possible. Most people said 280bhp wasn't possible on a standard clio bottom end ;) I've got the skills to fabricate the inlet and other bits that need machining/welding, just need the technical drawings which are floating about the net and a second hand mini charger. I reckon it's possible if your in no rush and can find the odd bargain here and there.

I might see if I get home in time tomorrow and trial fit the new wheels

Listerine & Poledo
try MX5 Owners CLub (MX5OC)

You'll find that they know a good sight more about tuning '5s than this place.

You may even find the parts you're looking for.

Qashcow
Im on mx5nuts as well and read a lot into it. Boost in at the back of my mind for the time being though.

This rain isn't looking promising for a wheel trial fit tonight :(

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Fair enough if you're fabricating your own bits, but there will always be a value attached to the time you spend working on it yourself.

Looks like this will be a nice car when you start tinkering! Miss mine everytime I pull out of a junction in the Clio

Qashcow
"Young farmers do it in wellies" allegedly. I'm actually from watford so don't know what these bumkins are on about lol

Listerine & Poledo
Rural living = empty roads*

*: may also include (but not limited to) muntjaks running across the road during foggy nights, honking great potholes that would make lowz brigade cry, mud on road, country sport activist hippies and corners obscured by overgrown hedgerows

Qashcow
I'll take a video of the road about 200 yards from my door, it looks like it was designed for touge. It's immense.

Muntjacs are a scary lot, nearly smashed the meggy on one last night. Stupid b*****d thing.

I've decided it's not raining enough to prevent me fitting wheels tonight :D hi5

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I'll take a video of the road about 200 yards from my door, it looks like it was designed for touge. It's immense.

Muntjacs are a scary lot, nearly smashed the meggy on one last night. Stupid b*****d thing.

I've decided it's not raining enough to prevent me fitting wheels tonight :D hi5

Erm what road??????

If you go up to painswick there is a little back road that has fresh tarmack and I swear to god its perfect.... Not brave enough to drive it hard as I don't know it but it's mx5 sized driftable!

Qashcow
Erm what road??????

If you go up to painswick there is a little back road that has fresh tarmack and I swear to god its perfect.... Not brave enough to drive it hard as I don't know it but it's mx5 sized driftable!

I know the road you mean, my boss lives up there and also do a bit of biking across the top, dan wants to get some photos with a rig up there

I can't tell you where I live malice, you'll come Nicki rota's as I know you love them so badly ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Fish hill is driftable, car or bike.

:evil:

Spent a few nights in my 200 up there lol!!!

Let's do a photo meet! The garage isn't far from the place I said about bumer, can get a ae86, integras, rx7 convert able etc out and make our own initial d shoot!!!!

Qashcow
Really? It needs a geo setup anyway so will take it in next week, will see what it has then add a little bit more. Then go on the hunt for coilovers

If those arches are fairly solid you could get a tasty flare that'll suck those in easily. Won't need masses of rear camber.

I have a decent flare on the rear of mine that makes wheels that poke quite a bit on stock s14 arches look hidden.