ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Renaultsport 220T
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Silver Sabelts, tart! ;)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Nice write up! Car looks incredible; a credit to you and all involved with the build:)

172 Race Car

They don't like standing water much though;) mine grip better than road tryes in the wet on track
I didnt say standing water. I said wet. they work very well,

Golf GTD Mk7
Didn't say you did mate.

Great Tyres. I'll probably change and go for something else when they go fully bald. Federals get a good rep, as do Yokohama. Can't remember if the dunlops are expensive by comparison

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF

The best 182 ever

Thanks for all the great comments everyone, very kind of you all and they mean a lot to both me and also TDF i'm sure :)

Silver Sabelts, tart! ;)
Haha I only used those because they were in my loft from my old 197 and I didn't want to shell out for some new ones lol ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

great to hear everything went so well on the first run, car looks good and sounds like it went well also, congrats to you and TDF,
cqn't wait to get mine back up there,
can you please just remind me of the spec to achieve the 215bhp please?

Thanks Neil :) It will be great to see yours when it's back together and running!

Engine spec is:
Catcams 421's VVT removed and vernier pulleys installed (No dephaser to go wrong)
TDF Motorsport spec AT ITB's with solid backplate and ITG filter
ARP bolts
EC1 ECU
Custom BTB de cat system with one back box

Audi A6 & 172 Cup

Car looks great James, you must be chuffed to bits, credit to the all involved. Can't ask much better than than that for a shake down either, best of luck with the events etc you've got planned this year. Will keep an eye on this for motivation!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks Neil :) It will be great to see yours when it's back together and running!

Engine spec is:
Catcams 421's VVT removed and vernier pulleys installed (No dephaser to go wrong)
TDF Motorsport spec AT ITB's with solid backplate and ITG filter
ARP bolts
EC1 ECU
Custom BTB de cat system with one back box

kind of a similar spec,
will be interested to compare in the end.

I forgot to mention in the update yesterday, The quaife diff is great! you have to adopt a different driving mentality but boy does it put the power down early and very well :)

Car looks great James, you must be chuffed to bits, credit to the all involved. Can't ask much better than than that for a shake down either, best of luck with the events etc you've got planned this year. Will keep an eye on this for motivation!
Thank you Kenny I am over the moon just want to go back out and have another go sooner than next month :) Very kind of you thanks! Just seen your recent update and looks like its coming on well, Love the lengths your going to with the small details will make it an epic car when you have completed it!
kind of a similar spec,
will be interested to compare in the end.
What spec are you planning to run Neil?

172 Race Car

I forgot to mention in the update yesterday, The quaife diff is great! you have to adopt a different driving mentality but boy does it put the power down early and very well :)
what till you try it through Gerards at mallory, mental

what till you try it through Gerards at mallory, mental
I can imagine :D I don't know why but I wasn't expecting it to make anywhere near as much difference as it has done to the way you can put the power down. It will make even more difference once i'm used to it aswell, Can't wait!

172 Race Car

First time I drove ours was in qualifying at Brands. Remember being annoyed with myself for being so late on the throttle, used to it now but takes a while to get the hang of it. Another good corner is the 2nd part of Rocket at Anglesey. 2nd gear hairpin, Like a missile out of there

I used to have to really feather the power in when exiting rocket in my 197 so it will be interesting to see how this compares then. I'm really looking forward to trying the car round circuits that I know and that was the main thinking behind doing Donington next as its a circuit I know well so can hopefully focus a bit more on setup of the car rather than having to think about learning the circuit too!

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5

Car looked good at Snetterton mate I am sure you will have a lot more confidence once you get used to the it,were did you get your poly door cards from they are next on my list.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

What spec are you planning to run Neil?

The engine has already been run in the car and was mapped by matt at 212BHP,

engine is phase 1 172 lump, on catcam 421's with cup alternator set-up,
Jenvey ITB's with a custom ali airbox
EC1 ECU
exhaust was a prospeed 2.25 system (with decat) but will be a 2.5 yozzasport system with decat

340i

EC1 ECU
exhaust was a prospeed 2.25 system (with decat) but will be a 2.5 yozzasport system with decat

I thought you where running 428's mate?

Golf GTD Mk7

EC1 ECU

That's a good point. Have you ditched the aircon/PAS James?

Car looked good at Snetterton mate I am sure you will have a lot more confidence once you get used to the it,were did you get your poly door cards from they are next on my list.
Thank you Dom yours looked great aswell and seemed to be running well :) Yes it will all come with time and when we start work on the setup. They are the Oreca door cards but i'm not 100% where Matt got them from although I do know Ktec sell them

EC1 ECU
Sounds really good Neil and with them being so similar I think your right it will be interesting to compare final results!
That's a good point. Have you ditched the aircon/PAS James?
Yes Jonny we have got rid of the aircon using cup alternator setup but kept the PAS although had a slight issue the other day with the fluid overheating and trying to escape so we are working on a solution. This only happened after a 45 minute session so probably due to sustained use :)

Golf GTD Mk7

overheating? strange one? how many laps were you doing?

We were trying to get a long run in at the end of the day to check reliability and see how it was running so we did 25 mins and then in for a couple of mins to swap passengers so Matt could jump in and then straight back out for another 20 mins. It felt the same at the end as it did at the beginning which I was very impressed with :) Just the overheating PAS fluid but I'm sure we'll get it sorted and I'm glad we have found it now rather than just before a race :)

overheating? strange one? how many laps were you doing?

Just bubbling still had PAS assistance. EPAS is an option but expensive as Corsa B/C is a bit flaky with big slicks and lots of steering input. Electro Hydraulic is an option but I think another 500ml of fluid capacity will solve it. We're trying to keep as much OEM durability'd stuff on there as possible :)

Oh and James don't forget we need to sort the lateral G screen washer ;)

Golf GTD Mk7

you've got me paranoid now, never check my PAS pipes (or was it the resevoir? if so can it just be heat shielded?). I tend to run about 20-30 laps at a time depending on how i'm feeling, so engine bay does get a tad warm :D

Oh and James don't forget we need to sort the lateral G screen washer ;)
Haha I told you I knew that I had forgotten something in my email :p
you've got me paranoid now, never check my PAS pipes (or was it the resevoir? if so can it just be heat shielded?). I tend to run about 20-30 laps at a time depending on how i'm feeling, so engine bay does get a tad warm :D
I'm afraid I'm not too sure about the technicalities but heat shielding isn't too bad an idea :) I'm sure you'll be fine Jonny just keep an eye on it!

220 Trophy

James, the car’s looking great mate and glad to hear the shakedown went well. Just reading your engine specs - did you remove the slam-panel and go for the ‘special’ TDF/AT throttles?

My standard internally engine is pushing out 201bhp / 175 ft/lb with the special longer throttles because we removed the slam-panel (It has the usual EC1 and Pure air-con delete kit etc etc.)

……The next stage (hopefully Matt won’t be reading this!!) is for some cams, larger injectors and re-map, will be hoping for circa 220bhp and more torque……..

Oh and definitely heat shield!!

Hi Mark, Thank you yes over the moon with how it went :) Yes we did its removed and lower rad fitted to allow for the long throttles!

Sounds good to me and I can vouch for the fact that with 215 it fly's and there is probably more to come by tweaking the vernier pulleys and also bigger injectors but I'm in no rush for more power yet lol ;)

Haha sounds like a plan, I'm sure he will be ;)

Evo 5 RS

Mark's torque is really impressive for a standard engine.

Glad you had a successful shake down James, PAS fluid boil over is more impressive than anything else tbh lol. Interested to see how you get by it

182cup & 172 racecar

Interesting about the injectors,we thought about changing ours.

Let me know when your at Donington James,I'll see if I'm free.

220 Trophy

I think mine were a bit of a trial run and they turned out really well but were only possible by removing the slam-panel - and the a/c kit and bonnet catch which I'd already done. Matt re-mounted the radiator and its pretty much out of the way but he's going to fit a smaller VW Polo radiator which will get it right out of the way of the flow to the throttles.

Having seen your car in its infancy I'd really like to see your car in the metal now its finished but I live a bit too far away to just to pop up, I'll be at TDF Saturday 4th in the morning to drop my car off though if you and/or the car are around?

I think Matt mentioned that around 210/215 was about as far as the standard injectors will flow, above that needs the larger injectors from the Megane 225.

I can remember the jump up in power after having had the ITBs fitted, was probably around 170 before that but after it felt like 270. It still feels like TOO MUCH power on the road but on the track I've got used to it now, 220 sounds about right though!!!!

(Oh, I meant - you should definitely fit some heat shielding. Matt fitted some Nimbus to mine and seems like it’s done the trick)

Evo 5 RS

The Megane injectors aren't all that expensive now either, my standard ones with 428s and 90mm jenveys are at 99% duty on full chat.

Mark's torque is really impressive for a standard engine.

Glad you had a successful shake down James, PAS fluid boil over is more impressive than anything else tbh lol. Interested to see how you get by it
I thought that myself about Mark's torque! Thanks, lol I can't say I was expecting it to be an issue but I'm sure we'll get it sorted :)
Interesting about the injectors,we thought about changing ours.

Let me know when your at Donington James,I'll see if I'm free.
Yes Matt and I discussed putting a set of Megane injectors on in the future so will be interesting to see how it goes if you fit some first ;)

We should be there on the 17th of Feb Tony although I begrudge paying nearly £300 for a track day in Winter its the only time in Feb I can spare a day or two :( Will be good to see you if your free as would be good to have a decent chat!

182cup & 172 racecar

I should be able to make it,it's a Friday as well.

I think mine were a bit of a trial run and they turned out really well but were only possible by removing the slam-panel - and the a/c kit and bonnet catch which I'd already done. Matt re-mounted the radiator and its pretty much out of the way but he's going to fit a smaller VW Polo radiator which will get it right out of the way of the flow to the throttles.

Having seen your car in its infancy I'd really like to see your car in the metal now its finished but I live a bit too far away to just to pop up, I'll be at TDF Saturday 4th in the morning to drop my car off though if you and/or the car are around?

I think Matt mentioned that around 210/215 was about as far as the standard injectors will flow, above that needs the larger injectors from the Megane 225.

I can remember the jump up in power after having had the ITBs fitted, was probably around 170 before that but after it felt like 270. It still feels like TOO MUCH power on the road but on the track I've got used to it now, 220 sounds about right though!!!!

(Oh, I meant - you should definitely fit some heat shielding. Matt fitted some Nimbus to mine and seems like it’s done the trick)
Yes they have worked out really well Mark and I'm really happy with the power it's made, the Polo rad is a really good option from the pictures I have seen of them fitted it does look to create a good amount of space.

The car will be definitely be there but I'm away skiing for the week so I'm not around unfortunately! I'm sure Matt will take you for a spin in it if you wanted as I have said he is more than welcome to use it as a promo/ test car whenever he likes :) (It doesn't like driving on the roads though ;))

Yes that is what we discussed the other day and megane injectors are the way forward, I wasn't expecting the clio could handle anymore power than it has got but it manages it so well that in the long term there is potential with the car to handle a fair bit more power but that will be a few years down the line for me ;)

Ahhh sorry, Yes well we have a small piece of nimbus and Matt did say we are going to fit some more heat shield between now and Donington :)
The Megane injectors aren't all that expensive now either, my standard ones with 428s and 90mm jenveys are at 99% duty on full chat.
Yes I think on the dyno at one stage mine were at 100% so we have lifted away from that a little to keep it running safe :)