ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Can I ask about the gearbox pls? is it stronger? shorter ratios? still a Syncro box?

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

You will be pleasantly surprised with the 888's even if its poor weather. I've been really impressed with them the last couple of times out at Brands when it properly biblically rained, they were actually fantastic and very predictable. Wouldn't recommend pushing them on the roads in the wet with the usual leaves and traffic film though, but on the track they were great

100% agree with this. Found R888's excellent in the wet on track much to my surprise.

Golf GTD Mk7

Can I ask about the gearbox pls? is it stronger? shorter ratios? still a Syncro box?

Standard box mate. Just the linkage that's been extended iirc

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5

Very interested to see the dyno graph once the car is mapped

I cant't wait to see this in action, mate. I'm genuinely excited for you! :D
Thank you mate :) I can't wait myself but I have got to be realistic for the first year of competing and not to expect too much, its mainly going to be a year of getting the car setup well and me developing and then go from there :)
As Jonny has said it is basically standard as far as I know, It was sent off for a refresh while it was out of the car and to have the diff put in but other than that still standard!
Very interested to see the dyno graph once the car is mapped
As soon as I get one Dom I will get it posted up :)

182 trackday racer

I'm afraid I don't but if Matt doesn't see this before the weekend then I will try and grab some for you when I see the car and then post up :)

Big thanks

Due to the mods on my car I have to run in modified production so any tyres are allowed I will probably be running a very soft full slick :)

Love it. What does that mean by way of competition? Is there a power to weight limit?
It should be good although dreading turning into the first corner each time and hoping the cold tyres stick ;) The classes are divided up with cc intervals and you are not allowed to add turbo's etc. There are very few cars in the class unfortunately so it will be interesting to see how it goes!

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi

The wrap is propperly cool

Clio 172

LOL Ash, made me laugh when you said about doing testing if money allows it, £299 track days at Donington won't help. I want a picture of the bacon sandwich I've never seen one worth £100 before ;).

Seriously I need to check my diary and try to get along to one of the events your planning. Keep up the thread I'm loving the updates.

LOL Ash, made me laugh when you said about doing testing if money allows it, £299 track days at Donington won't help. I want a picture of the bacon sandwich I've never seen one worth £100 before ;).

Seriously I need to check my diary and try to get along to one of the events your planning. Keep up the thread I'm loving the updates.
Haha Silverstone events are even worse mid summer they are nearly £500 quid and then £60 for a garage and £60 per additional driver :S They include lunch aswell as breakfast so practically a bargain :p

Clio 172

Haha Silverstone events are even worse mid summer they are nearly £500 quid and then £60 for a garage and £60 per additional driver :S They include lunch aswell as breakfast so practically a bargain :p

I'd be expecting Kippers for Breakfast and Caviar for Lunch.

Sorry mate I missed this sentence, Yes you should do definitely, I will do and thanks :D
I'd be expecting Kippers for Breakfast and Caviar for Lunch.
I think its only a buffet :( lol

well... i hope i hope i`m not spoiling a suprise here, but i`ve just been talking to Matt on the phone, and even via the samsung speaker on my phone, your car sounds lovely!!!

hahahaha

well... i hope i hope i`m not spoiling a suprise here, but i`ve just been talking to Matt on the phone, and even via the samsung speaker on my phone, your car sounds lovely!!!

hahahaha
Haha thanks Stu, I was on the phone with Matt earlier and he said it was sounding sweet but I'm saving that pleasure until friday :)! Last time I saw the exhaust it threw a huge flame out of it nearly blew the office door off haha!

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

Loving the car bud might ee you on a few sprints this year;)

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr jealous

Thanks for the comments guys, Picture update hopefully Friday after I've seen the car :)! That would be good Johnny, I will post up all the events I enter on here so if you are attending any of the same then we should meet up!

Its was a custom job by BTB, basically we asked them to make their 182 system but just with one back box to reduce weight and they have done such a nice job the welding is divine :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Its was a custom job by BTB, basically we asked them to make their 182 system but just with one back box to reduce weight and they have done such a nice job the welding is divine :)

Joe does great work. Love my system. Is the mani just standard?

Joe does great work. Love my system. Is the mani just standard?
Didn't realise you had a BTB Jonny :) Yes they have done such a neat job of it and have been creative and changed the layout of the system to optimise it :) I will grab a photo tomorrow! Yes we have kept the stock manifold as I think the car would need to be pushing more power to warrant the cost of a new manifold.

Sounded the bo**ocks last night in the workshop fella...

Sounded the bo**ocks last night in the workshop fella...
Haha thanks Stu I have been there nearly all day today and only left at 9pm! It sounds so good I am over the moon with the whole thing :D when I took it for a drive the noise and power were something else! Your car is so epic, I love everything about it and the welding work that you have put into it is astounding, you must of put so much effort and time into the car but it really shows through and it looks like you've thought of everything! You have made me have so much want for an Alli fuel tank :)

PH1 172 (Track Car)

Looking good!

Fiesta ST-3

James, you HAVE to show me this!! You only live 15 mins away man !!!!

Did the car get a final figure? Or is it being left purely as "enough" bhp???The matt grey wrap really does look fantastic.. the pics dont do it justice,

This car is beautiful in the flesh! ill make a thread with for today in media, ill stick some pics in of yours too :)

Did you get pics James? I'm down there at the start of march fir some final bits and bobs. Shame yours will have gone by then.
Hi Jonny :) Sorry I got totally carried away when I saw the car and forgot to get any pics of the exhaust although I do have a vid from today which shows the sound nicely :)

Sounds good mate what you having done? It may well be there just depending on when your there as March for us is the busiest month of this year so it will probably be at the workshop a fair bit :)
Did the car get a final figure? Or is it being left purely as "enough" bhp???The matt grey wrap really does look fantastic.. the pics dont do it justice,
Certainly did Stu it came out at 215BHP and 180 ib/ft and long term we are probably going to run a bigger set of injectors as they are running at near maximum (I think ;)) Also do some long term development and try some various timing of the vernier pulleys! I was never 100% about the colour but its really growing on me now and today has shown me just how practical it is!
Pics???? Come on fella don't leave us waiting.
I am going to write up an update from my last two days and have got some photos to go with mate :)
polishing and waxing matt vynil wrap aint easy ya know,.... probably be a while yet haha
It has had nothing as yet ;) Unfortunately I didn't get the time to give it some attention myself but TDF are going to give it a good clean as I'm not going to see it now for another month and its too dirty after today just to leave it until I get chance to do it!
This car is beautiful in the flesh! ill make a thread with for today in media, ill stick some pics in of yours too :)
Thank you for the comments mate and was good to meet you, Thanks for the photos of mine I hope you don't mind but I'm going to use one of them in my update :)
you say that, but there is an actual matt/satin wax now by Swissvax, it is bucks though....
Opaque is great stuff but I find it mainly works on the Matt painted cars rather than wrapped but I will be giving it some attention when I have it back home :)
James, you HAVE to show me this!! You only live 15 mins away man !!!!
I want to come too :eek:
Yes definitely well the car should be up north on the 17th Feb after Donington so I will try and come along to any meets as it is taxed until Le Mans albeit got to take a lot of camber out of it though to make it even remotely bareable on the roads ;) If I can't run it on the roads then you are more than welcome to pop over and have a gander :D

Thanks everyone for the comments and as soon as I get chance I will write up an update and get it uploaded!

First major update!

Well on Friday afternoon I ventured down to the TDF workshop to be greeted by Matt, Alan and the car. This was the first time I have seen it since a few weeks before Christmas so was really good to see it pretty much complete and running. The car had been on the dyno earlier in the week and it made 215BHP and 180Ib/ft torque I was very happy with this figure and if we want to in the future then we can tweek the settings on the vernier pulleys for the timing and also the injectors are nearly maxing out so in the process of development these may get uprated. Below is the power graph please excuse the photo of it but I have lost the power lead for my scanner!
9852d0b3.jpg

The purpose for the visit was in preparation for the following day where we were going to be running the car at Snetterton for its initial shakedown test. Due to how far away it was from home I had to hotel it so we decided I may aswell come down early enough to get in the car on the Friday and then have a fiddle and get everything just how I wanted it. I arrived and we got me setup in the car and then proceeded to go out for a drive round the local industrial estate and then venture onto the roads for some slow running just to get an idea of position of switches and make sure everything was going to work for Snetterton. It was absolutely chucking it down, the car was on R888’s, totally rebuilt car and different to any other car I’ve ever driven so taking it slowly was an understatement. The car felt phenomenal, it was never designed to be practical for the roads and I’m not going to sit here and say it drove smoothly on them but we managed to get a few miles in and that was what was required. The only reason it has a tax disc and insurance is for a 2012 trip down to Le Mans which I have been bet that I can’t do. For the trip to Le Mans we will take a lot of the camber out of the front and also take some of the Tow out off the car to make it more stable which should work okay with the dampers on full soft ;)

Once I had been out in the car and established that it was all going well then I jumped in my roadcar and nipped over to Silverstone to go and pick up a rear view mirror that I had forgotten to order in advance :s. I then headed back to the workshop to fit the mirror as well as a passenger seat and the video system. These three jobs that I have done for the project were to a very poor standard compared to the rest of the build and resulted in me recording the trackday on its side!

The car was then loaded onto the trailer at TDF ready for the 5.15 start the following morning
1210bab7.jpg

5954b928.jpg

e31b8bd5.jpg

82b7757b.jpg

94cba1a6.jpg

Saturday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] Shakedown Test:

We arrived at the circuit nice and earlier to get a garage and Alan prepped the car while I went off to briefing so when I got back it was ready to go and he had sorted out the noise testing aswell! I really can’t thank both Alan and Matt enough as not only have they done a superb job on building the car but the advice and support they provided today were great. They worked really hard all day going over the car spanner checking and making detailed notes at every available moment.

To start with the track was very wet and with the track new to me aswell as the car then it was a matter of going out very slowly and the aim for the day was to create a list of jobs that needed to be done for next time and eliminate any slight issues that we may have.

Once the sighting laps were over I went out and had a good drive round and got a feeling for the car and conditions. The car felt so good and the amount of grip that it provided even in the wet on the R888’s was incredible this was before we had done any setup work. For the first day I had asked that we disconnected the rear ARB and also went full soft on the suspension all round and this way I was hoping just while I was getting used to it then it would want to understeer rather than oversteer and this seemed to work well and in fairness was a nice neutral balance. I couldn’t believe straight out of the box how well it drove and how it handled. The slight issue in the rain was the pad’s are a very powerful compound and when braking heavily it was trying to induce the ABS to kick in. We are very lucky to of had the wet conditions as we will get hold of a soft set of pads that we can run in the wet to prevent this been an issue for future. The rest of the morning went very well and we did limited laps and then kept checking over the car. While Alan did an extensive bolt check I went out in my roadcar just to try and get a bit more of an understanding of the circuit and lines etc.

In the afternoon the circuit dried out fully and this allowed us to get some decent temps into the tyres and brakes and this transformed the car! We still hadn’t adjusted any of the setup but it was great to drive! This is when it sunk in to me how much of a success the project had been. There was obviously a massive amount still to come when we start to push on at future days and tweek the setup but for the first day it was running very reliably and as a bonus driving very well also. In the dry the brakes are unbelievable they really are great and the system integrated perfectly with the ABS so when it was wet then I had it helping if I overcooked it. Talking of overcooking I missed the Apex on the same corner twice within about 15mins and ended up running wide onto the grass and filling up the arches with mud and getting the car slightly dirty but its all part of the fun ;)!

The car has now gone back to TDF for the final touches such as a few more bits of wiring and also flocking the dash. We have also created a list with a few jobs that we need to sort out before the next time the car goes out such as the softer brake pads for the wet etc. Apart from that we have hopefully established it was all running reliably and we can head to Donington on the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] February with the plan to start on the setup work and then once we have fine tuned the setup then think about pushing on bit more!

Unfortunately as mentioned my dodgy skills meant I mounted the bullet cam on its side and I also don’t have a clue how to post it up on here so I can’t show the video but I will try and get this sorted for Donington if anyone is interested to see it.

I really do owe TDF a massive thank you as they have built this from scratch and for it to run how it has done today has been totally beyond my expections! I am really looking forward to competing in the car and will be having Matt and Alan to help support me throughout. I'm very glad that the car is going to continue to be looked after in their more than capable hands. If anyone is looking for some work doing to their clio or any car for that matter then I can recommend TDF all day long and would have no doubts about sending anyone to them. They really do make a great team with the guys being so approachable and so friendly as I'm sure anyone who has met them will clarify!

I have attached the photo’s I have got from the day although didn’t really get that many. Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long!

e87d57c1.jpg

d0f0bf48.jpg

f1f82bc6.jpg

e35ec373.jpg

13ee12ad.jpg

09a6f52d.jpg

57b0a11f.jpg

ca1f5697.jpg

80e42ac6.jpg

3deac3ef.jpg

e28ebf31.jpg

91dad155.jpg

93a6c075.jpg

7cbfc644.jpg

07c8b24e.jpg

664d2e7f.jpg

75b782a4.jpg

6608c421.jpg

2b3916d5.jpg

172 Race Car

Sounds like a good first run