ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banther's New Golf

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Sooooooooo - still not actually made a decision on tyres as cancelled appt. due to a very last minute trip to Deutschland.

The car has been mostly with VW Evesham having a few niggles sorted & major service etc. asnd, weirdly, this has made me love the GTi again. I was given a GTD courtesy car and, although very good, still very much a diesel and didnt get on with it - after that a HATEFUL Bluemotion - stepping back into the GTI was amazing. So, enough silly talk, its here to stay.

New wheel caps incoming. I actually love how this car looks when clean. Thanks Jacob (@The Russian. ) for the snowfoam lance. Will post pics shortly!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mk6 gti is one of the best all round cars you can buy Imo . If you have never driven one do it of way better that you would believe rare too !

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I going to fit an anti lift kit and rear arb to the octavia. Should make it feel a bit more lively

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Seen a f**k load more now! Took it down to Cornwall for a long weekend - performed admirably.

2 things have changed;
1. The wheel centre caps. Old ones made the whole thing look s**t. Good, cheap mod.
2. I washed my own car. Crazy crazy times. Pretty pointless exercise that took up a whole afternoon (oh hai Christ Almighty - prick ) . Wish I hadn't bought all this car cleaning stuff - its so boring!! Why do people do it for fun?

Having to make a decision this month whether to buy my new Oris, a new painting, or intake / remap for the car.

Getting used to the power delivery now. Starting to think should have got the DSG as changing gear doesn't add that much to the experience.

Any alloy recommendations?

Last edited:

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Turning into a bit of a monologue lol.

I've just been on the blower to have the car booked in for a REVO remap (might not go for them) and the chap is on about going for Stage 2 instead of just Stage 1 as I already have an exhaust ( although need to check if catback or mani back) but need a CAI & possibly Intercooler, engine mounts & throttle pipe (?!?).

I would probably go for the REVO intake as easier but before I go ahead a few questions;

Stage 2 worth it over Stage 1? I already have the exhaust but the CAI & Intercooler I'm imagining will be £££. Is the intercooler necessary or overkill? Feels like an upselling tactic otherwise why is it only optional?

Any other CAIs I should consider? I know it needs to be one piece.

Has anyone had the 'linear throttle' map? Is it just a load of b****cks?

linear_throttle.jpg

I want an intake anyway (because noise) - would I be better off just going to Shark Performance for a custom map with those choice mods and forgetting the other parts?

Is it worth getting the Revo SPS to switch maps?

Cheers all. Sorry for being a car spaz.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
SPS - No. They are good for playing but pretty pointless really.

Get a filter and stage 2. They still have parameters to play with to make sure it's not detting.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah just need to make sure exhaust is turbo back (which I doubt).

I think I'll have to request at 97 RON as I literally never go to Tesco for the 99 stuff and its a bit out of the way. Pretty sure the BP stuff I use is 97/98.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing as this is a "media" thread, is there any chance of some pictures? 4 is a little poor imho.
Also, doesnt Stage 2 kil the clutch?
I have no idea what you're on about with media to be honest. I didnt create the thread. Mods can you move to other marques in that case (@Rob @Cub. )? Do you really want 46 thousand pictures of a boring white golf? Or do you really want to see what new VW centre caps look like? I actually use it as a car..... not something to show off on instawank. I dont go anywhere interesting (on account of me driving 600 miles per week so come the weekend I hate the f**king thing) and my photography skills are crap.

As to your question; To my knowledge all that's needed is mentioned above. I would have thought the Revo chap would have suggested it if necessary - they don't seem shy about upselling (£140 + labour for a piece of pipe lol). TBH I'm more likely to just get the intake and see what I can get. I dont need silly figures I just want it to feel a bit more driveable and hoping with the intake to actually hear whats happening, the noise is most unsatisfactory which robs a lot of the enjoyment. I've even done a few tunnel runs (because pleb) and its very tame - certainly in comparison to the MX5 / MCS / 172 that came before it. I can only imagine how dull it is with the standard exhaust.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst deleting all the dick pics you send I stumbled across these..Thought I'd add them for you..This a media thread and all :wink:

25185100973_b9b4d61c1c_h.jpg

25511036470_05abf7d51a_h.jpg

Still enjoying it?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Ha!! Just shows how s**t my phone camera is.

Yeah its good. I like cleaning it a lot now! Weird huh. Really not as fast as I would like though...... but I can't go much faster without seriously diving into my wallet for fuel. I managed to take it around the track / cones at the airfield which was a lot of fun. The e-diff thing is so f**king intrusive though but it does stop the manic understeer haha.

I really don't like the wheels that much anymore though...... I just don't want to sink loads of cash into it as think it will be gone by the end of the year. Really struggling to find a replacement though. Only diesel I fancy is the 125D in Estoril Blue as I had one for a bit and it was awesome.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Cleaning cars is therapeutic. I enjoy it.
Just stick how it is if you are getting rid later in the year imo. It's goes well enough.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I think it will need to go before 80k is all to get a decent return. The price I got it I think I can have 25k motoring depreciation free - prices are all over the shop for these. Good news its top spec with the (seemingly rare) xenons & leds with only me an another owner and full VWSH - all at the same dealer too.

Definitely going to go DSG next time. For the 5% of the time a manual is better is not worth the 95% in commute.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Had a little play with a lease (Golf R) - definitely definitely lost very badly. They're rapid!!

Went with Michelin PS4 in the end - epic epicness. Love them. Grip is insane!

Back in love.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Cannot recommend the anti lift kit, and anti roll bar enough. They've made a massive difference to mine, think I'd rather give up the remap than the suspension mods!

banther

ClioSport Club Member
f**king school kid hit the rear passenger side of the car with a scooter and has left a dent about the size of a 10p. Also need a bonnet respray / touch up from numerous stone chips - one about the size of a 5p and has gone through the paint and primer down to the metal.

Any idea how much I should be looking to pay? Absolutely no idea.