ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banther's New Golf

banther

ClioSport Club Member
No, Wednesday morning at 9.15am then straight up to Coventry over the Cotswolds :up:. I'm on a project with Special Vehicle Operations at the moment :)astonished:) so not home for a few days. Really annoying although the wait has got me a free valet / amateur detail so not too bad.

Fresh MOT on today as well with some new tyres on the front.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
First drive today on the A46 to Coventry. Impressions;
1. It's pretty swift. Accidentally hit 130 bananas per gravity pushing it through the gears.
2. It's very quiet even with the exhaust - think it needs some induction noise.
3. Adaptive Suspension actually works. The car really tightens up in 'sport' setting.
4. It has a bottle opener in the cabin.
5. The speaker system is amazing - really.
6. Sat nav is surprisingly good - even has live traffic which I wasn't expecting.
7. The seats are comfortable - I like the fact you can adjust the lumbar support.
8. I like the toys.
9. I got 39mpg (although this is a VW.....) on a 'non cruise' trip over 60 miles.
10. The gear change is lovely. So glad I went for the manual. As good as the DSG is reported to be it just wasn't for me.

That's all folks if anyone gives a s**t.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've just checked, yours runs the k04 the same as mine (the standard mk5 GTI's use the k03)

With Revo it maps to 300bhp on stage 1.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I've just checked, yours runs the k04 the same as mine (the standard mk5 GTI's use the k03)

With Revo it maps to 300bhp on stage 1.
Oh sweet well Badger5 is the Revo guy round here so that's awesome, thanks.

Will probably be buying an air box as well tbh. It's very very quiet - don't want ridiculous but some notification other than the world moving past quicker would be nice :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I was tempted by revo. Too many reports of flat spots etc. If mine gets done, I'll be using shark performance.

But like all these things, depends who you talk to. I've met folks convinced ktec is the place to go for Renault tuning.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know any different mate tbh. Haven't looked into it that much just always heard of Badger5 but maybe because he's local to me - Gloucester.

I'll do some.digging before I do anything

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The revo maps seem to go for headline figures. Big early slug of torque that tails off. It's why (on the mk5 platform) some people have had issues with clutch slip in 5th and 6th.
If you Google shark remap dyno graph, one of the Skoda boys put all the maps on one graph to show the differences.
I think the mk6 has the tsi engine, which had a better torque curve as standard than the mk5.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Lol!!

Just took the woman-what-lives-with-me-and-occasionally-does-the-sex out for her first joyride. Thumbs up from her - phew!!

I posted in the Detailing thread but anyone who can link me to a reasonably priced, decent car wash starter kit I would be really grateful :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Internet scaremongering at its pinnacle!
Revo are known for peaky maps aren't they? That thread was just an example of a direct comparison.
I've been looking for a while, from what I've read, shark/apr/r-tech>revo.

But it's like the ktech thing. Depends who you talk to ;). I've read people on the forums swearing that bluefin is the best option. I'd rather give a toddler the laptop and let him have a go.

Snotter's
Afaik they run the k03, the edition 35 ran the ko4 in the mk6. To be fair they are much better on fuel than the mk5 ko3/k04

banther

ClioSport Club Member
So (almost) one month in. Really annoyed as just got a response from Badger5 stating he can't remap my car - disappointing! Really needs it - suspect it's been (badly) mapped.

Need to wash it - grime builds up pretty quickly on white. Still can't use the SatNav - only lets me input the first half of a postcode? Can't imagine having a car without heated seats and an auto dimming rear mirror now.

So - induction - talk to me - simple remove and replace job? Remember something about the Rs3 airbox - any help?

MPG ok averaging 38mpg at the mo over mostly A-Road commute. Not too bad. Can't help but think I should have got the diesel though - it's pretty boring to drive anyway.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure you get a one piece I/K otherwise they tend to whistle like a kettle. I'd go for a P-Flo or Revo

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Saw this last night;
A. It's lovely.
B. It's quicker than he'll have you believe.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Lol I didnt say its not quick just a bit 'meh' at the moment. Needs noise. Even the militek doesn't seem to add much - dread to think how boring it must be with a stock system. Doesn't help that I've been bombing around in my bosses XE S that sounds like a Ferrari for a couple of weeks. Anything after that will seem quite tame.

Booked in for a custom remap at P-Torque in Wolveringhampton, now just need to buy the airbox.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds nice from the outside. Not loud but a but more purposeful than the normal lawn mower sound they make.

Satnav is gash, the half post code thing is the same on most vag motors unless they're recent lol. Was the same in my A3 and Edition 30.

38mpg seems decent too, how many miles to a tank?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Satnav is gash, the half post code thing is the same on most vag motors unless they're recent lol. Was the same in my A3 and Edition 30.

38mpg seems decent too, how many miles to a tank?
365 with motorway / 260 to 300 mixed but its a VW so who the f**k knows!!! This morning I got mpg down to 31 with a bit of 'on boost' driving.

The Satnav is proper gash. My clock has been out the entire time I've had the car as haven't figured out how to change it!! Its an illogical system.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The Satnav is proper gash. My clock has been out the entire time I've had the car as haven't figured out how to change it!! Its an illogical system.
Haha you just go through the settings and you'll see the time. You do need to be stationary though.

365 with motorway / 260 to 300 mixed but its a VW so who the f**k knows!!! This morning I got mpg down to 31 with a bit of 'on boost' driving.

That pretty decent from that engine!

If you change the clock on the centre console using steering wheel buttons or wiper stalk buttons that should then update the nav.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had the Octavia remapped by shark. Absolutely superb. Feels quicker than my mapped r26 did.

Does the golf have a small fuel tank? I'm getting 34ish mpg, 380 to a tank.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
So noticed something - maybe worrying.

Accelerating in 6th from 3k RPM foot flat on the floor massive hesitation in acceleration at 4k where the revs just hold for a second (I might be lying but I swear the needle moved backwards) before carrying on. Dodgy map or something to worry about? Quite hard to test as that sees me at 90+ mph

Do like the car a lot now. Appreciate it for its massive versatility - had 4 people in comfort and a boot full of luggage for a schlep up the M5. Came back via the cotswolds and then its a sports car! Boring to mention things like boot size but coming from the R53 (which I still have lol) its a god send.

@ForceIndia I'm booked in with a company called P Torque at the recommendation of @TomSx - just need to get the intake sorted now.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Ah that may be it as I only noticed yesterday & had to do an emergency fuel stop in the country. Good job I only put a £20 in (baller).

Will fill up on Super Unleaded and see if it persists. #massiveamateur

Saying that next week I have a very nice premium 4x4 to snob about in so the car wont see much action!

I could have sworn it has an LSD but just found out its an electronic diff! Helps for swiftly exiting roundabouts :wink: . This car does make me drive like a bit of a pellet tbh, think I might have to get something a bit slower next year. Just when you're having fun you look down and you are exceeding 90 kiwispermetre - worried for my license!

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
So noticed something - maybe worrying.

Accelerating in 6th from 3k RPM foot flat on the floor massive hesitation in acceleration at 4k where the revs just hold for a second (I might be lying but I swear the needle moved backwards) before carrying on. Dodgy map or something to worry about? Quite hard to test as that sees me at 90+ mph

Do like the car a lot now. Appreciate it for its massive versatility - had 4 people in comfort and a boot full of luggage for a schlep up the M5. Came back via the cotswolds and then its a sports car! Boring to mention things like boot size but coming from the R53 (which I still have lol) its a god send.

@ForceIndia I'm booked in with a company called P Torque at the recommendation of @TomSx - just need to get the intake sorted now.
I went from an r53 to the Octavia. I think I could fit the r53 in the boot.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
WOT at 4k and in 6th is major labour on the engine. This mixed with s**t fuel and it automatically banthers the timing to save det.
May be worth cleaning your MAF too.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I had to move the R53 from the neighbours drive to mine yesterday and it pissed me off in 6 metres. Such an unrefined car!! Good fun but the rattles and lack of arm rest got my goat.
Mine was a bit of a freak. Rattle free, wish I could of kept both!