ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banther's New Golf

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Any offer over £1500 would take it. I didnt pay very much for it and not unrealistic about getting money spent back. Might strip out the airbox and sell separately

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Any offer over £1500 would take it. I didnt pay very much for it and not unrealistic about getting money spent back. Might strip out the airbox and sell separately
Really? FFS let me sell this golf..

banther

ClioSport Club Member
So I had a REALLY f**king COOL letter drop through my letterbox this morning from my insurance informing me that someone has taken out an insurance claim against me for a major collision incident in Leicester.

Spoke to insurance company - have to provide proof I wasn't in Leicester on that day (ermmmmm how??!) and that my vehicle is not damaged or repaired. Again how??!?!? I don't even know what I was doing on that day. Apparently the driver was called Danny Martin so just hoping he isnt a 6ft 2 fat posh oaf with a downs syndrome face so I pass the personal identification test.

Hate s**t like this.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Oh..
(I heard your's was the clone)
What phone do you have mate? Most track where you are with dates unless you turn it off.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
So I had a REALLY f**king COOL letter drop through my letterbox this morning from my insurance informing me that someone has taken out an insurance claim against me for a major collision incident in Leicester.

Spoke to insurance company - have to provide proof I wasn't in Leicester on that day (ermmmmm how??!) and that my vehicle is not damaged or repaired. Again how??!?!? I don't even know what I was doing on that day. Apparently the driver was called Danny Martin so just hoping he isnt a 6ft 2 fat posh oaf with a downs syndrome face so I pass the personal identification test.

Hate s**t like this.

Letter from employer to state you were working on site at whatever location if it was a work day and sickness records confirm you were definitely in work?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Letter from employer to state you were working on site at whatever location if it was a work day and sickness records confirm you were definitely in work?
Twas a Saturday unfortunately - that was my first thought :(

Mobile tracking doesnt work at all - according to both phones I've been to about 4 places since 2014.

Spoke to the previous owner of the car just to clear that up that he didnt know this Danny bloke and he says will help me (copper) with advice etc if it comes to it.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Twas a Saturday unfortunately - that was my first thought 😧

Mobile tracking doesnt work at all - according to both phones I've been to about 4 places since 2014.

Spoke to the previous owner of the car just to clear that up that he didnt know this Danny bloke and he says will help me (copper) with advice etc if it comes to it.

Any CCTV / ANPR camera near the alleged accident to show the car involved to verify it definitely is you?

Or CCTV at work that would show your car arriving on the Monday damage free? (with such a major accident you'd not have had it repaired and driving again within 24 hours?)

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks @Bubbles - I would have driven through main security at JLR on the Monday so will have a word with them :)

Hoping common sense prevails on this one!!! I've told the insurance co they're barking up the wrong tree but just in case I want to have my ammo of info ready.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
1. So I've been cleared of the insurance debacle. 2. Almost wrote it off today with a cheeky 360 on a dual carriageway.

6000+ miles in now and, tbh, I dont really know what to do. Its a nice car, well built, fast, looks pretty good etc. but it really is very dull to drive or certainly not 'special'. Just feels ££££ to enjoyment ratio is way way off especially when you pile on the low mpg / insurance hike etc. Don't think I would enjoy a Turbo diesel any less. Also the issue of quite how quickly it pushes on - easily lose your license in 3rd gear.

Still haven't hoovered it.

Needs new tyres - sooooo many conflicting threads on the interwebz. Anyone got any anecdotal experience? Money not an issue.

Swift Sport
Tyres don't matter, as long as they're stretched to within an inch of their lives and rubbing your arches they'll be fine.

Seriously though, I'm kinda glad in a way that you've been honest about the car as all my mates are trying to get me to buy a Golf Gti.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Tyres don't matter, as long as they're stretched to within an inch of their lives and rubbing your arches they'll be fine.

Seriously though, I'm kinda glad in a way that you've been honest about the car as all my mates are trying to get me to buy a Golf Gti.

Not a scene boy mate. I drive 140 miles a day in it so need it to be comfortable!!

Dont get me wrong - good car but I think a little compromised in the fun/wow factor department but then it was always going to be as the good 'all rounder' option of the hot hatchback world.

@TomSx lol not in the DK sense but I never skimp on tyres.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Not a scene boy mate. I drive 140 miles a day in it so need it to be comfortable!!

Dont get me wrong - good car but I think a little compromised in the fun/wow factor department but then it was always going to be as the good 'all rounder' option of the hot hatchback world.

@TomSx lol not in the DK sense but I never skimp on tyres.
Well rainsports are cheap but they are good imo. Great on a FWD car in England which perma rains.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Its got Continental PC somethings on at the moment with about 6mm of tread and they're f**king awful. Stutter if you pull away even mildly aggressively and really really shite in the corners - if it wasnt for the diff I dont think they would still be on the car.

Rainsports a compromise though?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Premium contacts. Not actually too bad tyres from reviews but not something I've had experience with.
Everyone seems to love Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's. I think you've just experienced a FWD with a bit of power on a cold morning tbh.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've put Continental cs5 on the octavia. Very grippy, much better traction than the kumhos that it came with.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Got Conti Premium Contacts on my Clio and have found them to be really good. Hard wearing and perform very well in all conditions I thought.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Premium contacts. Not actually too bad tyres from reviews but not something I've had experience with.
Everyone seems to love Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's. I think you've just experienced a FWD with a bit of power on a cold morning tbh.

Maybe - I had them on the Clio and they were great. Ive thought it since I bought it so definitely not a one off as temperatures were in the low teens then. TBH it could be the way I set off too - never had a car with quite so much power before. But pulling out at roundabouts there is always that slip - traction control kicks in and I almost get T-boned.

Will have a ganders at both suggestions - thanks @ForceIndia.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I just don't like Contis anymore. For a premium tyre, Michelin embarrass them and they just don't last.

I'd seriously rather put Rainsports on my car.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I just don't like Contis anymore. For a premium tyre, Michelin embarrass them and they just don't last.

I'd seriously rather put Rainsports on my car.
Yeah this is the problem with tyres - everyone has a conflicting opinion! I'm only booked in with a local place so can change by end of today. Might ask my mate to pop over at lunch as havent been out in his.

Other option is Goodyear Asymetrics or Pilot-sport 2/3s

RB182cup&golf gti
I just bought a mk7 performance pack gti at beginning of Dec. Not run in yet as only on 700 miles but it's a nice solid place to be. Don't think it will be too dissimilar to yours. Can't wait to get some more miles on it.