ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Austin’s Clio dci 100 Initiale

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
It still runs , not scrap yet mate.

Check the timing ; I’m betting on its jumped or by chance the cam pulley key has snapped off and advanced the cam.

I’ve done plenty that come in sounding like that. If it was bottom end , it’d be knocking like hell

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Oh no.. is the belt tight? Did you do up the tensioner the right way ?

Im not sure mate. A few people have mentioned this. You mean angle torquing it?

Its back up on axle stands now stripped down ready for the timing to be checked during the week.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Im not sure mate. A few people have mentioned this. You mean angle torquing it?
Its back up on axle stands now stripped down ready for the timing to be checked during the week.

He means have you turned the tensioner the right way to tension it , some tighten the belt anti-clockwise or clockwise depending on kit installed

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It still runs , not scrap yet mate.

Check the timing ; I’m betting on its jumped or by chance the cam pulley key has snapped off and advanced the cam.

I’ve done plenty that come in sounding like that. If it was bottom end , it’d be knocking like hell

My first thoughts were this straight away??

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Nah injector comes under the glow plug light

Along with 3000 other injection and intake faults Renault seem to have?
Lol. I think injectors are spot on tbh mate. My old dci had the glow plug lights fault and would loose power at 3k revs etc but this one is fine running wise.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Lol. I think injectors are spot on tbh mate. My old dci had the glow plug lights fault and would loose power at 3k revs etc but this one is fine running wise.
Yeah it will probably be the timing is jumped Haha

Luckily it's not a massive arse to real-time them up and you can do it with some drill bits and a bolt?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Yeah even a faulty injector , if it was that fucked to make a hammering / tapping noise , it would be chucking white smoke out the back and be a fucker to get to start

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah even a faulty injector , if it was that fucked to make a hammering / tapping noise , it would be chucking white smoke out the back and be a fucker to get to start
Do get a bit of white smoke when booting it and changing gear but tbh i think they are all like that. Drives great and starts straight away every time, even in the cold.

BMW 320d SE
Glad to see you got it running properly again, and didn’t resort it to binning it, given all the work you’ve put in to get it nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to see you got it running properly again, and didn’t resort it to binning it, given all the work you’ve put in to get it nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate. Was starting to work out what parts i was going to strip off it haha!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Crank pulley bolt not tight enough this letting the the bottom pulley slip ( if it’s not a keyed one ) is the only way i can see that happening other than incorrectly set tensioner.

Either way atleast it’s sorted, 1tooth is cutting it close , 2 tooth out and it’ll do damage.

fair play for getting stuck in and saving it tho !

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Good to hear its sorted. How come did the timing slip ?
No idea mate but assume Ryan below is right. I forgot to mention in the post, but when the cam cover came off it was worn down with bits of plastic coming off so it looked like the belt had maybe been rubbing on it. Not sure if that coud have caused it?

Whatever it was, I know that clouting it up the slip road is what made it start. Silly really not sure why i did it, actually dont think i realised what gear i must have been in. Maybe this hasnt caused it and its just a coincidence.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I can only assume the same that tensioner not set properly or crank pulley incorrectly torqued. Mine gets flogged quite often and not had an issue.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I went for a look round the scrap yard while one of the cars was getting mot’d and spotted a non sport with a sport grill on it. I gave the bloke £10 for it, along with 2 sets of dash strips. It was going to go on with the rest of the spare parts i have built up for the 182 but thought I might aswell put it on the dci.
66090AE0-A389-4760-90C7-16202885C008.jpeg

FB543C35-F982-47CE-828E-AFD1F8CEF8DC.jpeg

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
7457AE44-B2E4-4ACA-ABDB-D79485C320CD.jpeg

Not updated here in a while as not much has happened other than it being used daily without any issues at all.

I removed the sport grill and put the standard back on. I have put some £6.50 eBay wiper blades on it and this morning it ticked over to 150k

The engine management light finally disappeared after a couple hundred miles after relacing the egr valve and it has not been back since.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
View attachment 1417575

Not updated here in a while as not much has happened other than it being used daily without any issues at all.

I removed the sport grill and put the standard back on. I have put some £6.50 eBay wiper blades on it and this morning it ticked over to 150k

The engine management light finally disappeared after a couple hundred miles after relacing the egr valve and it has not been back since.

Fantastic!
Mines just soaking the mileage up too. Mines just turned over 125k. I’d like it to last to the 200k mark. I need a few little jobs doing and actually clean the car, and it should keep plodding along.
It’s not a car that I hammer in the slightest, so I’d imagine the mechanical sympathy should take me to the 200k mark.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I serviced the clio tonight for the first time since buying it and doing all of the initial work. A simple oil, oil filter and air filter which cost £31.50. Also cleaned the egr valve again.

Current mileage is 152300. Car is going well although there is a knock from somewhere, sounds like a clunk or as if a stone has hit the car from underneath. You can hear it when going over speed bumps, turning left or right and also when braking at low speeds. I will get it to a garage so it can go on the ramps and hopefully see where the noise is coming from.

I have noticed the coolant is constantly dropping and I'm needing to too it up every few weeks or so. Any ideas what would cause this? There are no visible leaks at all.

23E9D623-470E-4B26-B5A2-35927376C7B4.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I serviced the clio tonight for the first time since buying it and doing all of the initial work. A simple oil, oil filter and air filter which cost £31.50. Also cleaned the egr valve again.

Current mileage is 152300. Car is going well although there is a knock from somewhere, sounds like a clunk or as if a stone has hit the car from underneath. You can hear it when going over speed bumps, turning left or right and also when braking at low speeds. I will get it to a garage so it can go on the ramps and hopefully see where the noise is coming from.

I have noticed the coolant is constantly dropping and I'm needing to too it up every few weeks or so. Any ideas what would cause this? There are no visible leaks at all.

View attachment 1426774
Or sounds like a top mount!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Arb bushes on these dont cause a knock due to them being a tiny bushing.

Check balljoints, top mounts and also check your hubs because the hubs wear elongated. Had it on my 100, I must have gone through 4 sets of balljoints before it was really noticeable

Nice work, glad you got rid of the engine light.
Wouldn't bother with cheapo wiper blades, you'd have to buy them three times to outlast a Bosch one, euro car parts sales are always your friend.
Knock sounds like top mount to me, although with knocks and rattles is always hard to tell behind a keyboard.
I've just clocked 130k last month, and due an oil change.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing exciting to update with other than the car ticked over 155k last week and is still going well.

I went to the scrap yard to try and get an engine under tray but they didn't have any in. I did manage to get an update list head unit for £5 though which i have wanted for a while so I can add an aux wire in. Anyone know how this works when there is a 6cd changer plugged in? Do I need to loose the cd changer to have an aux?

9C3F2476-FE29-48E4-A113-98795CF61EFD.jpeg