ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apex Springs

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Is it easy to replace standard springs with a set of Apex -40mm?

I can get the springs for around £80 on the internet but don't want to have to pay stupid money to have someone fit them!!

Whats actually involved? Do you need to compress the springs to fit them e.t.c.???

BTW - my car is a Mark 2 Phase 2 172 FF

Lionel Richie
no compressors needed on 172/182's

i can do them in 45min (all four) but for a first timer it'll take you 2hours max

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Whats involved in changing them - is there a guide somewhere I could follow?

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
mate you dont need a guide i did mine myself and it is really easy i did the front in about 40 mins and no joke the back you could do in 10 to 15 mins

J

jamesy

yeh just jack it up till the beam drops low enough for them to just drop out;) never touched the front on one of these mind?

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
jamesy said:
yeh just jack it up till the beam drops low enough for them to just drop out;) never touched the front on one of these mind?

Thats all there is to it? I thought they were attached somehow..! Anyone have any idea on the fronts?

Monaco Blue Mk2
^^
Yeah back is a piece of pish. Just undo the lower strut bolt on each side and jack the rear. Pull springs out, put new ones in.

Loosen top mounts and wheel bolts. Jack up, wheels off. Take off two bottom strut bolts. Completely remove top mounts and take strut out from the arch. Remove retaining nut on top of strut. Take sping off. Put new spring on ensuring it is sat correctly in the seat. put strut back together in reverse of taking apart. Put strut back in arch, loosely fasten top mount to hold in place, do up the two bottom strut bolts, tighten top mount, don't overtighten to avoid unseating the spring.

03 172 cup
i might be interested in them mate if nezza aint,take they fit the 172 cup.just worries me -40mm coz some people have said about the front splitter on the cup getting ripped off or scrappin.

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Where are you onpoint productions !!! "Last Activity: Yesterday 12:33" :( I want those springs!! he he

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Mods, I need to get in touch with Onpoint Productions - please can you PM me their email address?

Ta

Liquid R27 067/500
Blue4Ever said:
^^
Yeah back is a piece of pish. Just undo the lower strut bolt on each side and jack the rear. Pull springs out, put new ones in.

Well the 182 you must need to jack the whole rear of the car(both sides) up to do this, because at the mo i have the drivers side jacked and the bolt removed and even with someones bodyweight on the wheel the spring wont come out!!

Monaco Blue Mk2
Yeah thats what I meant...undo bolts on both sides of the lower strut. Jack the rear, as in whole rear, axle stand on each rear sill. Should pull out then but can be done easily just jacking one side. Use something to lever rear beam down and pull spring out or get your helper to bounce up and down on the hub and you work/pull the spring out from underneath.

Liquid R27 067/500
Got it done, however car doesnt seem to be sitting much lower than it was with the cup springs in??!! dont think they can be put in the wrong way can they!! lol

Iain, dont you have these spring fitted to yours too if i remember right?

Monaco Blue Mk2
Did you make sure they were seated correctly? They do take a bit to bed in. Best getting out and road testing it to make sure it's all good. If so get throwing it round some roundabouts to help the bed in.

Liquid R27 067/500
Just put them in the same way as the old ones cam out, so think so! hehe

Took it out for a couple mile drive and seemed to be ok, no strange noises etc etc. we'll see...........

ST
Jobo said:
Got it done, however car doesnt seem to be sitting much lower than it was with the cup springs in??!! dont think they can be put in the wrong way can they!! lol

Iain, dont you have these spring fitted to yours too if i remember right?

Iains on Sportlines like myself matey....give good handling and a good drop over standard...