ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup Road/Track

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers it was a bit rough to begin with and its no show winner tbh. It was a bit too far for me too but worked out perfectly with my trailer, less than 4 miles apart. I bought a grill from you right? I lose track between DJW lads and the 3 or maybe 4 GAZ's lol.

Im the good looking one. Yeah at the first track day you bought one off Dave and Gaz but it was Dave and me that were there.

Cup In bits
Im the good looking one. Yeah at the first track day you bought one off Dave and Gaz but it was Dave and me that were there.

Haha so I haven't met you yet then ;-)

I'v got you know, then there's one more DJW lad, right?

I'm the ned Gaz with the grey X5 lol.

Lol aye remember you with your loon and then Gaz 85's who I met at the weekend.

Also, should've fitted a TrackScotland sun strip ;-)

Not for me, I have to drive this thing daily, don't want to look like Ali G haha.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Yup I'm the one you got the grille from haha, and met at te weekend lol

Cup In bits
"bop" as in backfire. lol

Yeah I'v had a couple of backfires through the inlet too when cold and starting up, never mind its away to get mapped at 5. Going to move the coil pack away from the exhaust mani as I'm sure its getting too warm with no heatshield there and double check all the plugs, ht leads etc. I did a compression test last night which hasn't changed from when it was rebuilt so that's good, cyl 1 still 20psi down cold.

Cup In bits
Trackscotland sun strip FTW!

Wouldn't have one full stop on a road car but each to their own and all that. ;)

Aye same, done all that shiz back in tbe day. Its only on as it will be on track every time I'm home.

Aye there's djw Dave and me, you know Dave, I'm the one who drove the flamer over when he brought the grille to you. Tall djw and short djw ;)

Aye I know you two, I thought there was a third member of DJW?

Cup In bits
Went a bit heat shield daft today as I'm convinced my coil pack was getting warm hanging over the manifold and the brake lines and bottle take a roasting on track and in traffic.

Chopped down breather plate

97F7CDFA-46A7-43F2-B2DD-78A55EA9F6BF-118-0000008A09841AEC_zps0979ec2b.jpg

Spun coil pack mount round away from mani

2745BF07-0DD5-424F-9ACD-A237806E5807-118-0000008A02872866_zps6ec866fa.jpg

Made up some heat shields

B5176224-3DC8-40AE-9249-A452AFAEB4B2-118-00000089FBFCDD0B_zps47dce052.jpg

1969E1FD-7B36-4E07-A938-38F5C591C0D4-118-00000089F5A573C4_zps11978e87.jpg

Finished article, should see any heat soak now and the clutch feels 10 times better too as the cable isn't getting roasted.

FAF51288-CC8E-476D-AFFF-A17C38FE4828-118-00000089EEC33935_zpsf29ac104.jpg

Cup In bits
Looking good Morgan, good old Nimbus heat shield comes to the rescue.

Love the RS2!!!

Cheers Sonny it is a nice looking bit of kit and I'm probably going to go against the grain here but I'm pretty un impressed with its performance, IMO it ruins the standard engine and I am convinced its slower. I have had a guy round tonight putting a generic map on it with some adjustments for fuelling, although it improved things a bit there was still holes in the torque throughout the rev range and on/off accelerator at low revs is hideous tbh.

The standard map has been put back on for now, I have two options.

Option 1... get it live mapped and tbh I can't see it changing the characteristics of it that much other than smoothing things out a little

Option 2.... Sell it on for cams potentially or group n cam settings.

IMO it steals torque from exactly where you want it in order to give some lower down, not really suited to a track car and is quite dull.

I would like some advice (Chip,Dan,MWM) do you think I am right in what I'm saying as far as it won't change much by mapping it properly other than smoothing it out? And also do they bring on a lot of light load misfiring at low revs before mapped?

Mapping made a MASSIVE difference to mine. And mapping is the key, ktec couldn't get it to work iirc.

I've always said to anyone who asked, don't expect it to be like OMFG y0. Just think how it pulls at 4000-4800rpm, now it'll pull like that from 2000rpm-7000rpm. Or in my case 2200rpm-7800.

Cup In bits
Yeah I imagine it smoothes out a fair bit, mid range I don't think its going to do much there as its not running bad or it doesn't appear to be. This is why I'm quite disappointed as I thought the flat 150lbft on tap would be more useable but iirc the circa 160/165lbft that the standard engine makes is just far more useable even in short doses.

Currently on mine there's an induction/engine note change at 6800-6900rpm and feels quite flat after, also 4th & 5th gear seems hard to gain speed from 5000rpm up.

Yeh mine didnt disengage the VVT, which is why it was still making power on the limiter.

It's very useable on track as I found I didn't need to drop to 2nd for some corners to be in the power band. It could stay in 3rd.

Interesting, do you think it may have something to do with the open filter in the engine bay, radiant heat effecting the intake temp? I fitted a GruppeM intake system a few years ago to my RS4 and that suffered very similar symptoms unless it was 1) Mapped and 2) cold air feeding directly into into the intake.

I know a the clio cups etc had open filter (albeit the headlight feed) but they retrained the inlet manifold.

For those that have had the RS2 fitted, do they suffer from heat soak, where the carbon body soaks heat and retains it? Wrapping it in heat reflective tape may be a bit overkill but might reduce intake temp ('if' thats that problem).

Cup In bits
When you say didn't disengage? You mean you changed the switchover point when it was re mapped or it just didn't disengage off its own back. (Can you tell I'm clues when it comes to mapping)

Yeah I would think it suits more flowing circuits better but the standard cups are almost perfectly matched to Knockhill except the hairpin where some low down torque would be handy.

Cup In bits
Interesting, do you think it may have something to do with the open filter in the engine bay, radiant heat effecting the intake temp? I fitted a GruppeM intake system a few years ago to my RS4 and that suffered very similar symptoms unless it was 1) Mapped and 2) cold air feeding directly into into the intake.

I know a the clio cups etc had open filter (albeit the headlight feed) but they retrained the inlet manifold.

For those that have had the RS2 fitted, do they suffer from heat soak, where the carbon body soaks heat and retains it? Wrapping it in heat reflective tape may be a bit overkill but might reduce intake temp ('if' thats that problem).

The manifolds do get mighty hot for being carbon tbh, I have the burns to prove it. Open filters are always going to suffer a bit without ducting but I just expected a little more from it (wasn't expecting miracles either)

Chip did say it wouldn't warrant the spend but it went on deaf ears as I was getting excited to have it fitted.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The hairpin requires a diff more than low down torque IMO. It wouldn't go amiss don't get me wrong but I think that corner alone with a diff could save a good Clio half to a full second a lap.

Cup In bits
Yeah totally agree, stiffer shocks would help my case too for stopping the inside wheel becoming un weighted so much on this car but mehh. I can't wait to fit my gripper box to the racecar, between the chicane, carlube and the hairpin I think there's a few seconds as your on two wheels for so long.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
100% agree, its in our long term plan for the caged shell. Next track day I plan to play about with the konis a bit, tha a048s can take a bit more punishment so gonna ramp them up a bit, they're currently set right in the middle with the ARB on the softest. 1 change with notes being taken at a time!

The chicane and hairpin are massive time suckers and carlube is my nemisis!

When you say didn't disengage? You mean you changed the switchover point when it was re mapped or it just didn't disengage off its own back. (Can you tell I'm clues when it comes to mapping)

Yeah I would think it suits more flowing circuits better but the standard cups are almost perfectly matched to Knockhill except the hairpin where some low down torque would be handy.

Yes, it still engages at 1800rpm but didn't disengage.

Cup In bits
I have decided to go back to standard with the engine so my RS2 is up for sale, PM if interested, it can be supplied with the heat shields I made too.

I had an RS2 on the race car until this year.

It was hesitant at low revs before I had it mapped. The VVT normally disengages about 6500 rpm, but with the RS2 it is best to keep it engaged all the way to the limiter.

I never had any problems with the coil pack or heat soak.

Cup In bits
PM me a price ;)

PM'd you fairy.

Lovely car mate :)

Thank you :)

I had an RS2 on the race car until this year.

It was hesitant at low revs before I had it mapped. The VVT normally disengages about 6500 rpm, but with the RS2 it is best to keep it engaged all the way to the limiter.

I never had any problems with the coil pack or heat soak.

Yeah they run a bit rubbish un mapped, most people wouldn't notice but I'm fussy, waiting list to get it mapped up here is long hence a different plan.

Did you run the standard heat shields? I removed them all when rebuilding it and fitted my own just the other day, coil pack was getting red hot with the position it was in before being directly above the manifold on the coil pack mount.

I have the std bit of carpet just cut back. I have some of the nimbus stuff but I haven't got around to fitting it yet. I've never actually felt the coil pack to see if it was hot.

I ran mine for months without mapping and Paul at RS tuning reckoned it had trimmed itself to almost the correct AFR.

Cup In bits
Yeah the whole area gets pretty hot when you stop at traffic after giving it some.

Mine is a bit better now as well after I had the standard map re flashed on at the weekend and went for a long thrash, its just not my cup of tea tbh. These cars need all the torque they can get even if it peaks for 2000rpm, the standard power band suits me fine.

Cup In bits
Update

Finally got myself a tow bus off a friend to take this and the race car to track/race days. It was a bit of an impulse buy but couldn't be refused for cash she wanted.

Shogun sport 3.0 V6 elegance
100,000 miles
Tax until Aug, MOT July.
TV/DVD
New shocks all round
New brakes all round
Full stainless exhaust
Full service
IAT sensor
Fuel control solenoid
All parts fitted within the last 8 months and I bought it for less than 90% of Clio 172's :D

Excuse the dubs and spacers they will be coming off come time and the lower half will be painted body colour.

Need my JMS RS2 inlet manifold gone now so PM me if your seriously interested.

Few pics

03B1CFC8-7D6E-4106-BB59-526ECB832EDB-3303-000002E043D92913_zpsedb62035.jpg

30F6FD5A-246D-402D-AD5A-4E14F3F56B57-3303-000002E03A628E6A_zps5017cd12.jpg

F9602016-20D0-44DF-BBF4-DA61DE25DD2D-3303-000002E0411D0AE7_zps528556ba.jpg

Last edited: