ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup Road/Track

Cup In bits
Had another good day except the fog and rain all morning, I got bored of the tarmac at one point so took to the 'grass' (if you can call it that)

8A2F7057-30D6-477D-BD35-2988E96F1719-726-00000065BEB9679D_zpse58115ff.jpg

05F0C14A-3F4C-450B-AFF3-8BE934FC797D-726-00000065C1B7E0E9_zpsb35e97ba.jpg

Quick drive to a car wash and I was back on track for the next session :p

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Top of the chicane? What happened? Glad it was all ok though, noticed you not coming round but then saw you driving off at the end of the session

172 cup, Impreza P1
Lol at the off!

Did you not use the pressure washer at the gate? Saved me once when I had a messy off.

Cup In bits

lol indeed, ARB full stiff and a spinner in front of me = OFF

Top of the chicane? What happened? Glad it was all ok though, noticed you not coming round but then saw you driving off at the end of the session

^^^^ at Duffus, came over the brow of the hill to a pirouetting golf in the road.

Lol at the off!

Did you not use the pressure washer at the gate? Saved me once when I had a messy off.

Broken, quick blast to Cowdenbeath with a horrendous wheel imbalance and back in time for the next session haha.

Morgan, get the video up.

;)

Away to start uploading them, some need trimmed first though.

I really need a decent pair of tow eyes lol.

You do indeed, Knockhills 'grass' was up past my ankles when I got out.

Cup In bits
So had another track day at Knockhill yesterday. The weather was shocking again in the morning with fog/mist and track dying late afternoon. It was good day except the avoidance spin I had into KH's water feature. I was over driving a fair bit but needs must with only springs fitted.

Tyre pressures were hard to keep on top of with continual drying during the day. RS-R's were really sensitive to pressure, I thought I had a flat at one point but after stopping it was up at 36 hot. I was never out with a steady pressure to get a good feeling for them which was a shame. I kept getting understeer through Scotsman corner, little but too fast in but the turn in could have been better. Overall i'm impressed with the all round capability of them though.

Most sessions were cut short or waved yellows due to offs so not much track time was had. Sorry about the video quality, I uploaded them in poor quality as they take days otherwise.

Video of spin, some choice words spoken.

[video=youtube_share;jgaiHHwhWAA]http://youtu.be/jgaiHHwhWAA[/video]

Video of a later/drier sessions

[video=youtube_share;HhRjRRIIqIw]http://youtu.be/HhRjRRIIqIw[/video]

Cup In bits
Final session of the day, cut short again.

[video=youtube_share;qKvmu47a0JA]http://youtu.be/qKvmu47a0JA[/video]

Cup In bits
To keep this up to date, the car got a new thermostat and full coolant flush (again) Saturday night after it failing just before It was required on Sunday (typical) and a new filter and oil tonight. The RS2 will be going on tomorrow if I can get a hold of a mapper and a date to get it booked in.

I also stainless lock wired the pads for piece of mind.

50BE36B8-1091-439F-B748-D7A7B8452A5B-1630-00000157FA761C8C_zpsa4367b12.jpg

Cup In bits
hahaha no not me but the lad I share a unit with has, he buys new things and paints them, has storage boxes with printed labels on, has an FRP, you would think he had a fud if you didn't know him lol.

Yeah went 'okay'.......brake fluid was boiling over for some strange reason, I think the DS2500's were creating too much heat and I had far too much understeer, a combination of high pressures and spanking tyres I think.

​Did you have your camera out?

Cup In bits
Data overlay using Harrys lap timer app, well impressed with it although the GPS speeds are higher than indicated if you compare them with the speed gun on the pit wall.

[video=youtube_share;qBf4e1_drOo]http://youtu.be/qBf4e1_drOo[/video]

Cup In bits
Good idea for the pads mate, yea Harrys lap timer is a good little aid, I did notice that the speed can be a bit off, think its due to the GPS delay.

Its a bit of a worry after last time so thought it best to be safe.

Yeah the speed is a little delayed although pretty accurate if you compare it to the cars speedo.

I had a mate who also had a pad slip out of the calliper at Brands, unfortunately he ended up in the barrier (Druids), car (Clio) was a write off.

Only thing I dont like about Harrys on the iphone is the lack of an iris in the iphone, it tends to black out when facing direct sunlight. Snetterton seems to be a nightmare for it due to it mainly being flat and open.

Cup In bits
I had a mate who also had a pad slip out of the calliper at Brands, unfortunately he ended up in the barrier (Druids), car (Clio) was a write off.

Only thing I dont like about Harrys on the iphone is the lack of an iris in the iphone, it tends to black out when facing direct sunlight. Snetterton seems to be a nightmare for it due to it mainly being flat and open.

Never good, I'm just lucky it wasn't at the hairpin and it was only one pad, I must have pumped it 3 times and yanked the handbrake so I did get some retardation.

I've never had any bother with rear pads, don't know what people do with them to get them to fall out.

Me neither, do you fit the anti rattle springs? TBF it was the on the side where the wheel came off ao might have knocked something. I bought a full new caliper fixing kit just to be safe. Ian speedy had a set come out a high speed too.

Cup In bits
So got the car up on stands and got all the dubs out from underneath, gave the wheels and outside a wash too.

Obligatory snow foam shot.

2615FFAE-F575-4F2A-9A14-F38985313893-878-0000006D358D4873_zps96fc0e6a.jpg

The line has appeared.

048A8A4E-DA44-4BEF-878D-6890B792F0E9-878-0000006D3F57EDCB_zps815f2920.jpg

Someone's been pulling wheel spin's tut tut.

AAD275F0-6021-4656-AE42-88989B8367A0-878-0000006D443A8E7E_zpsef76ea5b.jpg

Fitted window deflectors again after the clips finally arrived, and the door Cup badges.

09299A7C-AF81-435D-9BE5-CB1A2426DD4F-878-0000006D4D910940_zps339a83fc.jpg

176BB150-50B3-4FC2-B740-5C146AD6169E-878-0000006D55E579CB_zps7c23aa23.jpg

Started fitting the RS2 tonight, its made what isn't a great car to work on worse. I'm ooked in for a few hours road mapping on Friday and possibly a trip on the RR on Saturday.

182cup & 172 racecar
Me neither, do you fit the anti rattle springs? TBF it was the on the side where the wheel came off ao might have knocked something. I bought a full new caliper fixing kit just to be safe. Ian speedy had a set come out a high speed too.

​Yep, just the standard kit.

Cup In bits
Got the inlet on today, Still need to get some spacers and a few bolts to mount the coil pack properly but its on, Had to trim the slam panel and might swap to a ph1 catch for space too. Just need it mapped on Friday now.

from this

8BB8F478-1920-45CE-8B77-0F80364AE1A1-878-000000D8FD45AD9E_zps914f6174.jpg

to this

FBB15E8B-44DE-4B3C-92F3-3DF969FF81BE-878-000000D8F6C8FF8B_zps7d5337ed.jpg

Cup In bits
Hahaha b**ch please ;)

I bought it just to beat you buy more of a distance.

​You know of any TD's before Monday?

Cup In bits
Looks good! in the last pic of the car the exhaust looks like it sticks out miles ha

Cheers, yeah it does (trip hazard) as its meant to be fitted with the Oreca decat which is shorter than the original cat that is on, I refuse to cut anything as its only on this thing untill my racecar is ready.

Cup In bits
Got a sun strip fitted today and wet vac'd the carpets and mats after the weekends escapades. Anyone who's running an RS2 manifold did you get the odd misfire mostly when cold and below 4k?

AE05C4C7-FCA2-4870-B701-BB6223782C4C-118-00000000C38FD7C1_zps09daa3d7.jpg

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Ran mine for about 4 months before I got it mapped without any issues at all.

Always started first turn of the key and no idle issues that I recall.

Cup In bits
Hhmmm, will double check everything tomorrow morning but it just seems like it needs mapping, feels like its running lean at the low and high revs, you get flat spots and just generally not a linear power delivery. 5k kick has gone now yo.

^^^bop??

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Car looks great Morgan, Dave and I briefly discussed going to get this one but was too far away. I didn't really introduce myself but I was with Dave on Sunday when you were in the land rover

Cup In bits
Cheers it was a bit rough to begin with and its no show winner tbh. It was a bit too far for me too but worked out perfectly with my trailer, less than 4 miles apart. I bought a grill from you right? I lose track between DJW lads and the 3 or maybe 4 GAZ's lol.