ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup Road/Track

I've done the trailer test, was pretty easy tbh, just a normal test, with a trailer hooked up.

You do a reversing manoeuvre with it and get asked questions about hooking it up etc.

Need to use the old push and pull and mirrors etc

Cup In bits
Nah Sonny I ain't done my test yet but want to so I can tow my trailers full capacity if needed. I just go by this which is a snippet off the DVLA's site, I have asked a couple of Grampians finest traffic cops and they agreed so I'll go by this for just now. My trailer and load is always well within the safe allowable braked weight for the vehicle I use, basically don't be stupid and you should be fine.

CE774514-DE11-4383-9DEB-B360C8A5E152-1554-0000011542489E5D_zps18863196.jpg

Cup In bits
Well... had another good day again, had loads of fun and a few spins. The weather was shocking at points and the track constantly greasy with constant 4 wheel drifts :) The clutch failed 40 minutes from the end so got a good run. The g/box is needing a recon too which was known, 1st synchro was non existent and 3rd didn't like to be rushed on up shift. I was struggling for gears as the day went on putting me deep in corners sometimes and out of sync.

Fraser still no feckn lap time on Harry's, no idea what I'm doing wrong. Too wet for a good time anyway, only use for hooning.

Two videos to follow, was having way too much fun I forgot to switch the camera on half the time.

Morgan I think you will be towing illegal. Your jeep will have a mam of at least 3 tonne? And the man if the trailer must be what about 3? It's stupid but its the maximum authorised mass not the actualy weight of what your driving/towing. I didn't want to risk it so just done the test, can't go wrong that way!

I have no idea how you can't get it to work lol!

Hope you have a good few spin vids like last time ;) getting worse than me!!

Cup In bits
Im booked on, trying to get guaranteed time off work plus the gearbox I need is still attached to the racecar engine haha. Away Tuesday too so its looking doubtful.

Cup In bits
Morgan I think you will be towing illegal. Your jeep will have a mam of at least 3 tonne? And the man if the trailer must be what about 3? It's stupid but its the maximum authorised mass not the actualy weight of what your driving/towing. I didn't want to risk it so just done the test, can't go wrong that way!

I have no idea how you can't get it to work lol!

Hope you have a good few spin vids like last time ;) getting worse than me!!

Yeah I am looking to get mine done as well but two different officers confirmed that quote was right. Jeep kerb weight is 2510kg iirc trailer 2800kg with 500kg kerb Clio 1000kg ish so well within that guidlines. I see what your saying about MAM but they said it would be the weight on the day. Its one of those grey areas that loads do illegally.

I just tried the lap timer today, no video. Passed the start line pressed ref set, came round still no times. Done it several times and nothing, just full session time :S

Your not pushing if you ain't going off.... On a serious note I just enjoy having this thing in all sorts of shapes, its so much fun for a car with springs and RARB. I could go around all day with the rear in check but wheres the fun.

Cup In bits
Pics and videos from yesterday. As said it was the slickest I have been out on, a few couple if cars dumped oil round the whole circuit early.

DAC4074B-04F5-47E6-B82D-213960147B13-156-0000001A59F74F54_zps4fc12c3b.jpg

6B7C2FBD-8260-486F-AACE-1D37D9AA4346-156-0000001A56BE072A_zps9efc0fc7.jpg

89FF27CD-7D3E-42E5-A50E-2607E6E1ACB7-156-0000001A53AA3D97_zps7303c647.jpg

DB423ADB-77AF-4D96-B897-B9305D6B9E1A-156-0000001A5025C80D_zps24cc81d5.jpg

BDCC3F39-1F70-428D-B214-0CDCD0F49B31-156-0000001A4CEF0F6B_zps2339e107.jpg

E7B11886-5F0F-421A-8358-63824121CEDD-156-0000001A4AB4F723_zpsd6e7f19e.jpg

First of the two videos I remembered to film, full spin half way through at Duffus, don't know what I was up to looking back at it. First session after the oil being put down so I'll blame that.

[video=youtube_share;qJ4m_VXKHEA]http://youtu.be/qJ4m_VXKHEA[/video]

Another session split in two parts

Forgive me for putting the gloves on and off, I was trying to get my lap timer working.

[video=youtube_share;pbjndq7NST4]http://youtu.be/pbjndq7NST4[/video]

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Part 2

Loaded in poor quality as YouTube is being difficult.

[video=youtube_share;hbtqLlVO7B0]http://youtu.be/hbtqLlVO7B0[/video]

Just got to get a new box and clutch fitted and hopefully be back out on the 5th July.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Optimistic entry speed there Morgan, about 80 odd I'd guess?

Only other comment is I find the whole driving down the straights 1 handed thing odd. Dunno why, I do it all the time on the road but it just seems too relaxed for track. Happy to be told I'm talking out my ass though!

Cup In bits
Optimistic entry speed there Morgan, about 80 odd I'd guess?

Only other comment is I find the whole driving down the straights 1 handed thing odd. Dunno why, I do it all the time on the road but it just seems too relaxed for track. Happy to be told I'm talking out my ass though!

Yeah I'm doing 80 through the top of Duffus consistently though, when I spun out it was a bit twitchy under braking and turn in, just run out of talent lol.

re one hand, don't even think about it half the time i'm quite a relaxed driver, you will know when i'm really pushing though I'll have two hands on, usually in the dry though.

2004 Clio Sport 172
First, congrats for the Project. What model of brembo are de calipers? Im lookin for a long time some option of upgrade.
Regards

Cup In bits
First, congrats for the Project. What model of brembo are de calipers? Im lookin for a long time some option of upgrade.
Regards

Thank you, they are Megane 225 or Clio 197/200 callipers with custom brackets to suit the standard 280mm disks. 197 braided hoses and longer caliper mount bolts.

How you finding the PMS shifter, on track?

Aye its good, I fiddled around with adjustment mid last week and made it worse than Initially had it, I was trying to stop the knock going into reverse when I should have left it as it was sweet. Never got a chance to change it back again before Sat and it was tricky coming down into 3rd some times (you'll see me cursing in my videos )but how much of that was the adjustment and how much was the clutch on its way out I don't know.

When I get this low milage box and new clutch in this week it will be a better test as the old one was pretty tired selector wise.

Cup In bits
I really fancy it myself! Aye, I heard you moaning lol.

Go for it, decent thing. Your booked on the 5th ain't you, come have a play with my stick ;)

Nice driving there Morgs, track looks greasy. What tyres you running?

Just the Federal RS-R's mate, great all round tyres. You can see how useable they are in that shocking conditions but are also a ball hair away from most R compound tyre in the dry, in fact i think they last better than a 888 does. The track was never really totally wet or dry (in scottish terms) most of the day and finding out later there was fuel and oil put down a couple of times, a few said it was the slickest they had seen.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Still got some life left in it yet

16EE7062-4C7A-4539-BFA3-203DCA7459A6-159-000001E99F7DB8BD_zps0e7dbc07.jpg

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the original clutches????? Im pretty sure this box has never been out in the near 108'000 miles its been going.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Still got some life left in it yet
16EE7062-4C7A-4539-BFA3-203DCA7459A6-159-000001E99F7DB8BD_zps0e7dbc07.jpg
Does anyone know the manufacturer of the original clutches????? Im pretty sure this box has never been out in the near 108'000 miles its been going.

Good effort there Morgan!! I'd imagine the original item is a Valeo mate and they seem to come highly recommended as an oem replacement by a lot of people on here.

Cup In bits
I thought the same maybe but that box felt like it had never been out, just the way all the bolts came out/looked. That's a transmech clutch, it has pony straps on it that Burpspeed have broke before.

Cars looking good mate, makes me wish i had the knowledge to do something similar myself, made for an interesting read, infact the only build ive read cover to cover :)

Cup In bits
Swapped out the gearbox and clutch from the racecar on Saturday for the upcoming track days this fri and sun. Its back on the standard inlet and the RS2 is sold.

P1000584.jpg

867D38DE-1B3B-48A3-8474-492D50D526A2-159-000001E9986A28C6_zpsa616d0d0.jpg

Finally fixed my glass rattle with a cable tie through the slider guide.

0FC7ED4B-A0A6-4AB5-B6A2-91C1E2E87877-3381-000002FDFBF10F4C_zps3d8ded42.jpg

Just needs fuelled, gbox oil changed and full spanner check to put my mind at rest and its ready to go.

Cup In bits
I'll be safe to leave my slip at home but same applies ;)

Haha lol'd at breaking.

Its looking like the first dry day I have been too as well, 1:03's? (Just jinxed the weather there ain't I)

Cup In bits
I haven't updated this in a while now but I have another TD coming up so I will fill in the blanks.

I had 2 TD's at Knockhilll booked for 5th & 7th July, I made the first one which was a private OPL night but unfortunately the car developed a bad misfire 10 laps in which I couldn't cure on the day so the toys were thrown well clear of the pram, that was the 2nd trackday the cup had let me down although this time with little laps done.

The car was trailered back up to Aberdeen that night to find the problem and have it ready for the Sunday (the plan was to leave it there) I replaced the ht leads, coil pack, spark plugs and TB on the Saturday after a few hours trying to find exactly what it was. The car was ready again for the next day although I wasn't after my dads 60th celebrations the night before. I ended up missing that day so wasn't a great weekend for me or the car.

Since then the cars been fine the 30 or so miles I have driven it, the only thing that was annoying me was the exhaust mount, it was sagging and I bodged it previously to stop it knocking on the axle. Exhaust mount mod done and wheels swapped front to back to even out the wear on the RS-R's edges, full check over done and I'll wash it today and its ready to go for Sunday at PFC Knockhill.

F10D2796-1716-4B7B-B37B-C44D6BC9A948-1256-000000B92760EC40_zps47bbd9d2.jpg

56EC8FD2-DD55-4496-BFAD-B4122C4ECAFE-1256-000000B922E6A42F_zps56f10017.jpg

Cup In bits
That's alright, got to go for 2x for that price. Is that on there website aye? I might book closer to the time as that closer to the time I SHOULD be going away.

Cup In bits
  Cup In bits
Toe out in the rear? Shims?

Printer was broken so couldn't get a printout.

Its just the way the axle is, there's about 8 minutes difference in the camber from side to side on the rear and 8 minutes toe out on the NSR and 10minutes on the OSR