ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

62 plate clio 200

Rs200
Well I have just bought my first rs and am going to collect it Tuesday.

At the tender age of 19 I don't think I'm doing to bad really. I have owned 3 non sports before this car and as soon as I saw this I knew it was the one. I don't know a great deal about the sport models but I am a vehicle technician by trade and just want ideas really.

I have already got the following

6k hid kit, osram diadem indicators,led bulbs heko wind deflectors. Cheers guys pictures to follow when I figure out how to upload!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
One of the last on a 62. Leave it standard and enjoy it for what it is.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
This.

Also keep money aside for the annual rebuild of the front calipers

No money required as they don't need to be rebuilt. All they require is servicing. Strip the pins & pads out, clean and grease everything up put back together. 30-60mins per side and a small number of hand tools. Maybe £50 if you had to get them done at a garage, free if you do it yourself.

The scaremongering on this site gets tedious at times!

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Well I have just bought my first rs and am going to collect it Tuesday.

At the tender age of 19 I don't think I'm doing to bad really. I have owned 3 non sports before this car and as soon as I saw this I knew it was the one. I don't know a great deal about the sport models but I am a vehicle technician by trade and just want ideas really.

I have already got the following

6k hid kit, osram diadem indicators,led bulbs heko wind deflectors. Cheers guys pictures to follow when I figure out how to upload!

So yeah, ignoring the amount of s**t people say about not 'wasting' money on them. Keep money for the sensible things; yes, but if you can afford a few things the wind deflectors are a must have. I hate the look of them on a Mark 2 but on the Mark 3 sports they look amazing. At 19, make sure you understand that if you push the car hard and understeer, the traction control WILL try and kill you if it's on. It looks easy to handle, but try for yourself. Go around a long roundabout when it's quite and keep pushing it harder and harder, you'll eventually get to a point of understeer and your traction control will try and kill you by ramming you in to the curb. Understand that it can also save your life too.

I'd leave it on to be honest and learn the cars limit safely as I have.

First things first, you'll want to pick up some wider tyres for the front, maybe Nankang which are excellent in the dry but shyte in the rain; a bit of incentive not to drive like a bell end in the rain. Keep the back the same size but keep rainsports in the back so if you do end up overpushing on a turn, you'll understeer instead of flipping over to an oversteer. But this is entirely your choice, I've done it and it works excellently. PS: I'm 20.

Save for a Megane conversion when you've done all you're bits and bobs!

ST
No money required as they don't need to be rebuilt. All they require is servicing. Strip the pins & pads out, clean and grease everything up put back together. 30-60mins per side and a small number of hand tools. Maybe £50 if you had to get them done at a garage, free if you do it yourself.

The scaremongering on this site gets tedious at times!

No scaremongering mate.

I'd to have both front calipers rebuilt on my R27 and the 200 I recently sold due to them seizing, even with regular maintenance.

The brembos are good but they require care that a lot of people simply ignore.

Last edited:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I found that mintex ceratec grease holds up quite well on brake parts.

That is the strangest reply regarding car handling I've ever seen. Why buy a 200 and then ruin it's handling balance!?

Each to their own I guess.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
No scaremongering mate.

I'd to have both front calipers rebuilt on my R27 and the 200 I recently sold due to them seizing, even with regular maintenance.

The brembos are good but they require care that a lot of people simply ignore.
Strange...have had R26 calipers on my car for nearly 3 years now....yet to run into any problems.
Just remove and ceramic grease the pins once a year and grind the edges off the pads when putting them in ( as per Fred)

Suzuki Jimny
I found that mintex ceratec grease holds up quite well on brake parts.

That is the strangest reply regarding car handling I've ever seen. Why buy a 200 and then ruin it's handling balance!?

Each to their own I guess.

That guy is properly crazy from what i've read.

Recommends turning off the traction control and fitting wider tyres, preferbly nankan, with narrower rainsports on the back. Nice.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Anything unusual regarding the gearbox. Especially any crunching or even gears that are stubborn to get into. Seems to be a running issue with some cars.

I'd also look for any evidence of it kissing a kerb or having left the road based on recent evidence.

Clio 172 Flamer
I wouldn't be 'putting it to the test' too early on in your ownership mate, just enjoy it and drive carefully :)

Don't go sticking it in around roundabouts when it's quiet!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Worst "I'm gonna ruin a 62-plate 200" thread, ever.

So yeah, ignoring the amount of s**t people say about not 'wasting' money on them. Keep money for the sensible things; yes, but if you can afford a few things the wind deflectors are a must have. I hate the look of them on a Mark 2 but on the Mark 3 sports they look amazing. At 19, make sure you understand that if you push the car hard and understeer, the traction control WILL try and kill you if it's on. It looks easy to handle, but try for yourself. Go around a long roundabout when it's quite and keep pushing it harder and harder, you'll eventually get to a point of understeer and your traction control will try and kill you by ramming you in to the curb. Understand that it can also save your life too.

I'd leave it on to be honest and learn the cars limit safely as I have.

First things first, you'll want to pick up some wider tyres for the front, maybe Nankang which are excellent in the dry but shyte in the rain; a bit of incentive not to drive like a bell end in the rain. Keep the back the same size but keep rainsports in the back so if you do end up overpushing on a turn, you'll understeer instead of flipping over to an oversteer. But this is entirely your choice, I've done it and it works excellently. PS: I'm 20.

Save for a Megane conversion when you've done all you're bits and bobs!

What the f**k are you talking about?

Rs200
I would just like to mention that I come from a Motorsport background and have been around vehicle maintenance all my life. The thread is a genuine enthusiast asking for general upgrades and pointers that could add to the already brilliant drive. Thanks to those who aren't taking the p**s

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I would just like to mention that I come from a Motorsport background and have been around vehicle maintenance all my life. The thread is a genuine enthusiast asking for general upgrades and pointers that could add to the already brilliant drive. Thanks to those who aren't taking the p**s

Keep it as it was made. Seriously. No upgrades needed.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Which apparently leads to understeer and not oversteer. Very odd!

It will if you have Nankang in the front and Rainsports in the back, you'll understeer much earlier at a slower speed in the rain rather than flipping over to a lift off oversteer at a high speed which is dangerous in the rain.

Safer driving.

In the dry however, the Nankang will perform much better than the Rainsports, but when does the Clio oversteer anyway? Very rare.

Another reference would be Audi when testing the RS3. They put fatter tyres on the front and kept narrower ones on the rear.

I am giving a 19 year old advice on safer driving in a 2.0l vehicle. He's clearly not an expert in track driving so I have tailored advice to him so he can have fun in a safer manner because we all know he's going to throw it in to a bend now and then at high speeds, who the hell doesn't?

About 15 minutes ago, I had a run in with the 5-0. Yes, I'm a crazy guy, this is how I expect the 19 year old OP to drive once he is confident and I know it will come to it, so I'd rather he do it SAFER than most. The car is FWD so the most important wheels are the fronts, if he oversteers he can just pull out of it nicely and easily.

PS OP: http://www.cazanracing.co.uk/nankang-ns-2r-93435-p.asp

Last edited:
Giving him valid advice.

What about you?

Your "advice" is utter nonsense.

Having owned a 200 at the age of 19 and driven it like a 19 year old would, I never once thought "I need to put wider semi slicks on the front of this". How the f**k is it safer to tell an "inexperienced" driver to set the car up so it's more likely to oversteer?

The car is FWD so the most important wheels are the fronts, if he oversteers he can just pull out of it nicely and easily.

More nonsense. Tyres with the most grip should always be on the rear looking from a safety point of view, understeer is easier to correct than oversteer.

To the OP, handling wise at least, there generally isn't really anything a 200 really "needs" upgrading. Ridiculously good handling cars straight out of the box. Just make sure to keep decent tyres on it, and that includes not mixing semi slicks with all weather tyres.

As above, you always put new tyres on the rear because you want better grip on the rear.

As you said earlier - just try and ignore some posts, and have fun in the 200 :) sounds like a great purchase (when you get one)!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
More nonsense. Tyres with the most grip should always be on the rear looking from a safety point of view, understeer is easier to correct than oversteer.

To the OP, handling wise at least, there generally isn't really anything a 200 really "needs" upgrading. Ridiculously good handling cars straight out of the box. Just make sure to keep decent tyres on it, and that includes not mixing semi slicks with all weather tyres.

THIS.

what is going on with this place recently. I only kept my 200 for 10 months, 15k miles but it was the best handling car ive ever owned out the box, no need to change anything. factory tyres (think it was conti 3's on it?) had bags of grip, wear rate was good and they wernt too expensive, altho Arnold clark paid to replace mine lol

anyone getting understeer on the road in a clio 200 cant drive.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Lift Off Oversteer - and they are proper snappy with it. Lovely french handling :D

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
But easily recoverable lift off oversteer. Unlike the snappy kind some cars I've had the past have which means a minor correction error will leave you fish tailing all over the place :)