ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

540'd off a Dual Carriage way this morning..

Dropped my dearly beloved off at East Midlands airport this morning at 6, driving back like a soppy t**t with music on blast, came off the M1, Round a roundabout, came off the roundabout with a slight bend approaching, driver of the year over here doing around 40 on it in some serious rain and well, lost control and span off.

Was on this road coming down on the right, the tire tracks on the verge I was facing backwards already in a full spin...

D9097EDA-83DA-4515-90B9-0A56624ADA23.jpg

Ended up here, nice lorry dude slowed down, looked at me and drove on. I'm fine, no bags went off or anything.

9971BECA-B709-4FCC-828F-E75F99171797.jpg

No warning lights on dash. Fires up straight away, feels like I'm going to take off around every corner again now. Took it to a garage at around 8 (hour ago) apparently I got off lightly.

NS Track rod end busted.
2 Rear shock absorbers need replacing,

Steering alignment is slightly off aswell.
Can hear a slight hissing noise from the tire that hit the grass verge curb. Guessing deflating?
Took a nice serious curbing to ns alloy.
And I shat myself.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I've seen A LOT worse on here with motorway losing control collisions and what not. Thankfully the road was empty I was on and same on the other side where I ended up apart from the lorry dude slowly approaching.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Unlucky that!!!! As soon as you said it I though bet read shocks are buggered.

Confusing thread title though, thought it was about a BMW.

I've spun before in the wet. I was doing 50 in the rain. If anyone knows the m4 by neath on the west side (blud!!) of the Briton ferry bridge. Standing water is a massive problem. Aquaplaned into a spin and ended up slowly backwards towards the outside barrier. All I managed to do was pierce the bumper on the bolts on the barrier. Standing water still makes me s**t myself to this day

Yeah I did it when the rear tyre pressures were too high in damp conditions. Did a 180 on a right hand bend, went some distance down the road and the rear wheels bumped up the kerb. No damage whatsoever because of how much speed I scrubbed off by the time I got to the verge, the wheels literally rolled up as though I reversed up the kerb. Very lucky for me and still lucky for you.

It's more scary when it happens in normal driving and you're not dialled in like you would be when trying to make progress.

Lesson learnt for me, always check tyre pressures, don't rely on someone else having done it.

It's Definitely given me a driving lesson! Forever going to be a Sunday driver in all types of rain now. Especially the corners. First lesson was to not speed around dodgy lanes/roads/areas I know nothing of.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
very lucky. i spun off a roundabout into a bush, which hid a wall :( smashed rear quarter/ door ( bent door jam in by 4'' at the seatbelt point )
bent subframe from smacking up the curb and obliterated both track rods.

no airbags either :/

alteast your ok, metal is metal. lesson learnt to drive even more carful in the rail. greasy roads after days of sun.

Also! What's the correct way of handling losing control? As stupid as that sounds haha. My instant reaction was to slam on the brakes, clutch in, shout OH s**t over and over and try to correct myself.

After later thinking of this, here's my conclusions;

Dont slam on your brakes, as if they're locked like I was and you're spinning surely they could catch and flip you?

Also trying to correct myself, steering the opposite way I'm going to spin off to is going to make me flip aswell isn't it?

End of the day there's nothing much you can do when pure terror and instincts kick in. Thinking fast in a fast situation is something I'm really not good at.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
slamming the brakes on will just put you into a spin just as easy.

steer into a spin, altho it does sound very dodgy to do so.

Ph2 172
If in doubt, flat out.

But seriously if you feel the back end starting to come round then power on (in a front wheel drive)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I spun the car not long ago in the wet, have had a fair amount of sideways moment too. I have parada spec 2's on the rear so on a cool wet morning its a bit iffy.

clio 182 trophy
Glad your ok fella.
dajones, yeah i know it well. There are a few dodgy sections on the m4 around there that hold a lot of surface water. I had a bad spin in my zetec s some years ago on bute tunnel roundabout in cardiff. Was late for work early on a sunday morning and had lift off oversteer which i over corrected and put me into a spin. Was going backwards around the roundabout at speed, managed to stop the spin but the handbrake wouldn't help me back around as it was too far gone. Luckily missed the lamppost and all was ok. Learned the seriousness of lifting off from then on.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Also! What's the correct way of handling losing control? As stupid as that sounds haha. My instant reaction was to slam on the brakes, clutch in, shout OH s**t over and over and try to correct myself.

This:

But not ina RWD car. But you need a serious sized man hood to do this as that speed!

When I span at Coombe at Camp I just left it as I knew I was going to spin onto the infield as my front corner was already on the grass. I could have been cocky and tried to save it but there was a Civic on my outside and I knew I would have hit him. Plus I have seen many people try and save it there and end up in the barrier half way down the straight after fish tailing it.

As mentioned steer into the skid and don't go anywhere near the brakes! Totally not a natural thing to do really. Oh and never brace by putting your hands ont he roof or doors, or hold a roll cage if you are the passenger

Clio 172
A lot worse than mine. Span mine a few weeks back after getting new tyres fitted. Similar circumstances, wet roundabout low speed and the back end just came around. I steered into it but as the car was having non of that and I needed up 180 facing back where I came from. Only my pride was damaged!

Spins are never much fun!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
guaranteed the rear shocks were fucked before the spin and it was them that caused it, been there many a time in RS clios luckily never ended up hitting anything though! I now change them once a year with an oil change!

Renault Clio182 bean
I had a similar issue like this. I was exiting off the A46 in Leicester and the road surface is very uneven (huge dip in road) on a slight bend and I hit it at 65-70mph and the back end stepped right out (almost sideways).
Im not sure how I managed to recover it to this day but after checking the car over I found the offside rear shocker to have leaked all of its oil.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Unlucky that!!!! As soon as you said it I though bet read shocks are buggered.

Confusing thread title though, thought it was about a BMW.

Exact same, where's the beemer? lol

Was esp off?

I thought if I was in the 182 I owned (FF Arctic) for a week (long story short too expensive to run so sold on) I probably would've been in a worse predicament. Wondered myself if the ESP would've actually done much?
wouldve been going faster than this one in it so I may have actually flipped the real 182.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Hitting the brake was likely your fatal error. It happened to me too with the same end result (although I didn't exactly have a choice, it was brake and possibly avoid a crash or crash.) However it was likely initiated as previously stated by the shocks.

Don't give it more than an armful of lock when steering into the skid. And be ready to apply some small steering input back again to slow the front end down when it comes out or you'll likely find yourself spinning the other way.

However the above advice is a lot harder than it sounds and it's worth practicing getting the arse out in a safe space.

All the advanced driftin' techniques aside, the main thing is that you didn't get hurt and the car isn't too badly off.

ST
Hitting the brake was likely your fatal error. It happened to me too with the same end result (although I didn't exactly have a choice, it was brake and possibly avoid a crash or crash.) However it was likely initiated as previously stated by the shocks.

Don't give it more than an armful of lock when steering into the skid. And be ready to apply some small steering input back again to slow the front end down when it comes out or you'll likely find yourself spinning the other way.

However the above advice is a lot harder than it sounds and it's worth practicing getting the arse out in a safe space.

All the advanced Mcdriftin' techniques aside, the main thing is that you didn't get hurt and the car isn't too badly off.

EFA.

Clio 172
I had a shock go on me at the beginning of the year, and had similar results as you, car just wanted to swap ends rather quickly, just one reason why I get under the car every couple of months and check things out.