ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Found a bolt in the engine bay. Let’s play “where does it go?”

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi all.
Changing the oil on the 172 today and as I got the oil filter off, there was a long, flanged-hexhead bolt jammed behind.

IMG_3386.jpeg

Now have I been a dumb s**t when changing the alternator a few weeks ago and it’s slipped out during the wrestling-into-place? I’ve not driven the car since but I have had it idling with no noises or belt slippage, and the alternator seems pretty secure.

Looking at this diagram it’s not that type of bolt for the alternator either… at least not the one I’d have removed…

c221f4ad-285e-4226-ab22-188933711263.jpeg

I’ve checked and the alternator has both bolts in.

Any suggestions?

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Good thinking. Although that’s not been touched for years. Will check in the daylight tomorrow.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That looks like a bracket bolt to me - number 2 in your illustration - that goes into the engine block. The AC pump bolts are M8 and a lot longer with more thread.

View attachment 1681561

Yeah it is thicker with less thread and no smaller diameter locating end. Forgive me, but I can’t find no.2 on the diagram… it’s been a long day lol.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Wait I’ve misunderstood. It IS the circled bolt and it goes behind the alternator? So I’ve got to take it out again?…

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Wait I’ve misunderstood. It IS the circled bolt and it goes behind the alternator? So I’ve got to take it out again?…

Yes, it does look like the bolts keeping the bracket attached to the block. Been a while but thought they were behind the ac compressor, have you still got ac? Don't think they can get out without moving the compressor.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks like a glovebox bolt to me.

As in “put it in the glovebox til something sounds loose”? :LOL:

Yes, it does look like the bolts keeping the bracket attached to the block. Been a while but thought they were behind the ac compressor, have you still got ac? Don't think they can get out without moving the compressor.

Yep still got AC. Only thing that’s different since last time I changed the oil filter was the belts were done. Might it have escaped during that?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I seem to remember there being some similar looking bolts either on the bottom of the inlet manifold or on the fuel rail cover. Think it was the manifold tbh.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
AC compressor bolt, big long 10mm f*****s that go right thru the unit
I’m going with this as well as I don’t recongnise it and AC is the only thing I’ve not seen in a Clio engine bay for long time.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Threads too long on that bolt, his is deffo the AC compressor bolt, or at least that's what's in mine!
Just saw his is a 172, mines a 182, but I understand they both use the same bolt. The part number is the same for both cars - 7703002771 - which is the bolt I posted.

I have a few bolts off a pump from a 172 Phase 1 engine and those are the same length as my 182 as well 🤷🏻‍♂️ They definitely look different to the bolt he’s holding in his hand.

0DD1F054-98AA-4AF8-BAE0-DE6DB7302C0A.jpeg

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Okay so general consensus is that it’s either the AC or more likely the bracket to the block. And that it’s free weight saving.
Can also confirm that the fuel rail guard is studs and nuts, and that the AC pump and alternator are rock solid

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Did you ever change the alternator?
As that looks identical to mine, based on where it landed, could well be as its in its proximity. Bottom bolt goes from engine side to the outside of the alternator.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yep I changed it a few weeks ago but was sure I'd done everything up. Going to take the slam panel off tonight and have a proper nosey around with a torch.

So despite it being a flanged head, we think its no.11 in the below?

c221f4ad-285e-4226-ab22-188933711263-jpeg.jpg

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Yep I changed it a few weeks ago but was sure I'd done everything up. Going to take the slam panel off tonight and have a proper nosey around with a torch.

So despite it being a flanged head, we think its no.11 in the below?

View attachment 1681757
Number 11 yes. Looks similar to mine and that is flanged.
You should be able to see it without taking the slam panel off or feel for it.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Cracking stuff! Cheers all. Looking forward to getting home and trying it tonight!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Still looks like the one that I circled in the OP’s image 🤷
Yep it does

I'd 100% be refitting that bolt. That bracket is clearly designed to a specific clamp load. You're now not clamping to that load. It won't take much for the other bolts to work themselves loose over time.

It's not so bad normally but if your alternator belt then becomes loose if the bracket falls off, your aux belt is wrapping around your cambelt.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Okay so came back home, straight out here, tried the bolt and…………..

There’s already one there. Under the electrical plug.

IMG_3397.jpeg
IMG_3404.jpeg
IMG_3406.jpeg

Any hints? I’m leaning towards it being for the AC bracket again now.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is there? Am I presuming it’s bolt no.11 but it’s actually bolt something else?

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bolt number 11 is what I took a photo of above. Bolt number 2 there are two of.

See this image, it's actually got the reference numbers that are missing above.

diagram.png

Last edited: