ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

197 or 1*2

What would you rather have

Votes: 213 41.0%
  • 172/182

Votes: 308 59.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Have to Agree with Warren the Trophy is an all time great, whereas the 197 (at the moment ) is just a very good car, whether its better than a 182 tho'?

No issues with a 197 but i dont see it as alot better than a 182 if any.. hence why i wont be buying one in the next few months. For a 2.0 litre engine its MPG is shocking.... worse than a 3.0 BMW unit? It isnt any quicker than a 182 also. But i still think the 197 is a very good car.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Yup, that's all absolutely fine, and I agree the Trophy is a very, very good car - but some people on here think the 182 Cup is better for example, and in Evo the 182 Cup did set a quicker lap time than the Trophy on their track. See I'd disagree with those people, as I think the Trophy is the pinnacle of the 182 range.

But as I said before, for me personally, I prefer the 197. The mpg is pretty poor, does seem to get better with miles, as does the power, just comparing a few very low milers I test drove compared to mine on 13k now - which does feel quite a bit perkier. Although the mpg is still only 27/28 average - but I do drive it pretty hard whenever it gets warm.

Wonder what the 197 Trophy will be like ;) ?

Dan

Last edited:

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
a 182 cup or a ff with cup packs in RB with turinis would be a close match for a 197. I just cant get over the fact on how poor the MPG is even on the newer 197 variants.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Imo 197. Shape is more grown up

all the V's

If Renault started to make the 182 again and the 197 was priced the same 90% of buyers would have the 197.

182 is great and was really great when it came out, but with arguably identical performance the 197 comfort and safety would win buyers over, making it the better car. Hence why Renault decided to ditch the 182 and built the 197 in the first place.

Last edited:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yea, mines the older gearbox, and as I say 27/28 average mainly driven pretty hard where possible. It does 30 on a run without much hassle, one guy on Clio197.net said he got 40 but tbh I don't beleive that. I reckon a steady run 35 is the best mine would do, without really taking the piss on driving slowly.

Dan

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I loved my 172 and they are still excellent cars, but times have moved on.

Plus i'd rather have warranty

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
172/182 for me on looks.

yes if it was year 2000....... or 1997 when the shape came out in its first guise......

Interesting that on renaultsport there's a few people looking to trade 197's in for trophy's/182's. Main complaint (there words) "having to rev the tits off it just to keep up with normal cars".

For some strange reason you seem to have this mental block that the Trophy is majorly quicker than a 197, its simply not the case. As i've previously mentioned, i've had a 172 Cup, 182 Cup packed, and now the 197. I was fortunate last year to put my 182 (standard) against a mate in a standard 197. 197 had 6k on it, 182 20k. There was NOTHING in it, it was to whoever got on the loud pedal first. Yes the 197 needed stirring more, but out right pace was bang on.. Its time to move on....

May i point you to post 15 in this thread

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=348058

Marks hardly a shabby driver from all the vids etc posted....... Also just to add, i'd hardly call rexinatrophy loads of people ;)

Last edited:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Is rexinatrophy that guy who bragged about his school where he learned to loathe the working class? I'd suggest that nothing he's ever said is worth an ounce of dog s**t.

prefer the look of the 197 - it's more cohesive. i've always thought the Mk2 looks like a car of two halves - front and rear don't match in my eyes

Clio 182.
I have a 182. But id rather a 197.

Having said that, if i could afford a 197 right now, i doubt id have one. Sick of the typical renault quality issues tbh.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I have a 182. But id rather a 197.

Having said that, if i could afford a 197 right now, i doubt id have one. Sick of the typical renault quality issues tbh.

Yea fair call, I bet Renault have lost a fair few people for good with past quality issues. Although I must admit, I was surprised how well built the 197 was when I first got in it, and how nice the interior was. And mind is standing up very well to use - although I know a lot of people are having issues with the seats.

Dan

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mines fine, 20k no rattles or whatever, much better build/refinement

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'd take the old shape I'm afraid.. the new shape just isn't the Clio as I know it. For me it's not a case of not liking the mk3, it's just that I like the mk2.. how they handle, the balance of power etc. I'm sure the mk3 continues these traits, but it's lost it's uniqueness. I look at one and all I see is a generic example that could, with a little imagination, be the new model Peugeot, Vauxhall or Renault hatch. It's probably down to new safety regulations or something. I'm sure given the chance I'd prefer the increased road presence of the mk3.

I guess people were probably saying the same thing when the mk2 came out, but that's a bit before my time. I suppose you could also argue that the mk1 Clio resembled the Peugeot 106 and Ford Fiesta of similar age and that was still a good car.

End of the day they are both Renault and they are both Clios, nothing has changed drastically. Mk1s are getting rarer and given time so will the mk2, things move on, things change, but for now I'll spend my money on the mk2. :)

ITB'd MK1
For me the 197 is just too heavy. The chassis is nothing short of amazing but performance wise I have to say I found it a little tame in the midrange. Still a really good car. Ph2 interior in a Ph1 would be about ideal for me

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Hmm... Ideally I'd like to pay off the 172, then put in in the garage as a bit of a project to mess about with, and have a black 197 with the cup pack and Recaro's as a daily driver. I guess we'll find out in just over 2 years...

Suppose I could just buy a set of the recaro's to replace the fast vanishing alcantara in the 172... :D
Who's going to be the first to fit a set in a 1*2? Or have I missed the boat?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
haha, having just finished driving my dads civic for the last 2 months and getting back in the 197 every-one who says the car is gutless under 5k and that its not really that fast and blah blah blah have no idea. The car has enough grunt to pull up a steep hill in 6th gear from 30 mph, will accelerate from 30 to 40 in 6th in no time. Sure to get the best out of the car you need to rev it a bit but its no different in the 1*2, otherwise people wouldn't continuously go on about the '5k kick' now would they...

ST

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
hi, did anyone know i like the 197? lol

even consdiering keeping this RS beyond 2 year... along as it doesn't become a chav chariot icon though. at least this one hasn't broken numerous times like the 182. i'd only be temtped with a change into a R27R ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
hi Alan, lets keep the class in this thread alive ;)

but yeah, really can't see why i would sell the 197 at present... nothing comes near it in it's class for how it drives. only thing i may be up for changing to is the updated 197 whenver that is... considered a new mini Cooper S, but tbh, i ain't ghey looking enough ;)

ST
hi Alan, lets keep the class in this thread alive ;)

but yeah, really can't see why i would sell the 197 at present... nothing comes near it in it's class for how it drives. only thing i may be up for changing to is the updated 197 whenver that is... considered a new mini Cooper S, but tbh, i ain't ghey looking enough ;)

Pics to prove sweetie..x

If I was in the market for a Clio, the 197 would be it. As good fun as the 172s & 182s really really are, they're actually pretty s**t as complete cars by todays standards. 197 better than 182. Period :D

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
check my cs dating profile... x

hmmm 197 in nimbus.... or red... both sexy as tbh. the only thing to make me sell it would be if my daily commute of 50 miles was increased.. but i have been seeing 32mpg over the tankfuls on my commute. so come on down sar197!!! i have humble pie to eat :D

clio 182 sport
would only consider selling my 182 for r27 in red. the only thing is i just dont like the interior dash etc as much as mine.

White clique
i love the 197 way more than the 182/172 - but you have to get the colour right. There are a couple of 197 colours that make it look a bit mundane, whereas the 182's look good in all colours i think.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Lets settle this with a few choice photos....

197.gif

1974.gif

1973.gif

1975-1.gif

Note the lack of 1*2 photos...

197 is where its at now....gotta face it and move with the times.

But by f**k does my car look good...pmsl

Status
Not open for further replies.