ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

197 or 1*2

What would you rather have

Votes: 213 41.0%
  • 172/182

Votes: 308 59.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
  ST
Lets settle this with a few choice photos....

197.gif

1974.gif

1973.gif

1975-1.gif

Note the lack of 1*2 photos...

197 is where its at now....gotta face it and move with the times.

But by f**k does my car look good...pmsl

Filthy mate utterly filthy...running H&R's??

Family Bus
Really disliked the 197 when I first saw it, still not too keen on the 1.2's tbh, but the 197 Cup has really tickled my fancy tbh, grown a lot on me.

Still, I prefer the old shape!

clio trophy No56
I prefer the 182 Trophy, thats why ive got one but if i had to go for a 197 it would be the R27 or cup.
Having driven both my Trophy and my mates R27 i would say they are on par around the twisties, the R27 seems to pull slightly more low down but then the Trophy pulls it back as speed builds up. The R27 also feels better build. After driving the R27 and getting back into the mine the Trophy just felt much more raw, like a go-kart. Few pics:-
DSC01203.jpg

DSC00561.jpg

DSC00893-1.jpg

^^That's lovely. Pretty much the only pictures of a Trophy I've seen that have made me stop & look. I'd still have the Nimbus R27 though :approve:

surprised you say the 197 pulled better low down as doesnt it have less torque than the 182 at the bottom end of the rev range?

ST
Hmm mine pulls well at low revs but it doesn't start to get into its stride til nearer the 4.5/5k mark...at over 6 it sings pretty well indeed..

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Hmm mine pulls well at low revs but it doesn't start to get into its stride til nearer the 4.5/5k mark...at over 6 it sings pretty well indeed..
yup, I heard off of a tuner that the 197 is very similar to the 182 up to about 5k, then the power goes up obviously lol. also heard that most RRs are giving figures close to/slightly over what renault claim for the 197 :D Like you said, it sings above 6k

clio trophy No56

I would say 2nd gear from about 20mph initial foot down he pulls away about 1-2 car lenghts, (i have always been behind him when this happens so maybe he is putting his foot down before me), but once the Trophy gets in its stride it pulls it back. If im infront they seem the same, i dont pull away but he doesnt gain, strange:S .
Wouldnt mine getting them together on a strip to see which one would win.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I've just been showing pics of Tim's 197 to my mates, and there are a few of the French hater types in there as well, and everyone without exception said it looked absolutely awesome heh. Just thought you'd like to hear that Tim, get your ego swelling a bit more ;) It does look fcuking fabulous though, really does.

Elise/VX220/R26
172/182 is a far far superior drivers car to the 197 but the 197s do look great and are not bad cars at all. IMO the 1*2 was the last of the proper drivers hot hatches. Any newer cars dont have the steering feel (anyone remember that?) and outright connectedness.

Quotes from various publications for the Clio Trophy.. (taken from renaultsport.co.uk)

"World's Greatest Hot Hatch"
"One of the greatest enthusiast's cars on sale in the UK"
Autocar, 5th July 2005

"Best Hot Hatch ever"
"A match for the most powerful and exotic cars in the world"
Evo, September 2005

"It's a car built by people who not only know what they're doing but why they're doing it"
Car, September 2005

"Understand the Trophy, and you understand performance cars"
Autocar – Top Ten Cars of 2005, 3rd August 2005

"World's greatest-ever hot hatch 182 Trophy"
"There will never be another like it"
Test Drive, October 2005

:clap: ;)

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Quotes from various publications for the Clio Trophy.. (taken from renaultsport.co.uk)

"World's Greatest Hot Hatch"
"One of the greatest enthusiast's cars on sale in the UK"
Autocar, 5th July 2005

"Best Hot Hatch ever"
"A match for the most powerful and exotic cars in the world"
Evo, September 2005

"It's a car built by people who not only know what they're doing but why they're doing it"
Car, September 2005

"Understand the Trophy, and you understand performance cars"
Autocar – Top Ten Cars of 2005, 3rd August 2005

"World's greatest-ever hot hatch 182 Trophy"
"There will never be another like it"
Test Drive, October 2005

:clap: ;)

Its 2008 now........ ;)

6/468 17poo
Ive got a monaco 172, never liked the mk3 clios until the 197 came out but kinda taking a shine to it now as you see alot more about, i suppose it looks a little more special with the vents, brakes and the generally newer shape, times change!

For money reasons id say 1*2 all day long, but wouldnt say no to a 197!

ST
Love nimbus...good look with no roof graphics either, so glad i had mine taken off by the dealer before i picked it up..

clio trophy No56
Love nimbus...good look with no roof graphics either, so glad i had mine taken off by the dealer before i picked it up..

Got to say i didnt like the roof graphics in pics i had seen but on my mates Nimbus they look mint, think it would look a bit plain without them, just my opinion..

M135i and the shed
yup, I heard off of a tuner that the 197 is very similar to the 182 up to about 5k, then the power goes up obviously lol. also heard that most RRs are giving figures close to/slightly over what renault claim for the 197 :D Like you said, it sings above 6k

Thats strange cause i've spoken to KTEC, RST and BPM racing and they all said that they've never seen a stock 197 make 194bhp on a properly set-up dyno dynamics RR. Its probably due to the shocking quality of the inlet manifold which myself and Paul discovered at the weekend at RST! So thats the next job on the list for mine.

clio 172 cup
how much weight do u guys think renault could take out of the 197 when they do eventually make the 197.R.
there must be a massive saving on them alloys swapping them for ultraleggras?
extra 20bhp and 100kg less imo will make the best hothatch out.

Octavia vRS tfsi
I'd be hard pushed to choose. Would depend very much on which variation of 1*2 or 197 we're talking about.

I'd choose a ph1 172 over a ph2 172/182.
I'd choose a ph3 R27/Cup over a ph1.
I'd choose a Trophy over any of the above.

Peugeot 307 sw; Clio 197
I don't have that mucht experience with a 172 of 182, because here in Belgium, they are very rare. Belgians all drive bloody dieselcars.

But now, with the 197, you begin to see them quite often. Which can only mean one thing: the new clio RS is a faaaaar better product. If even Belgians dare to buy one, it must be so much more attractive than the previous rs.

In my opinion it really is. It's a far better, more mature car. The overal quality feel is soo much better.

The way it handles and brakes is also very good.

The 197 just feels so much better built.:) Imo it's also alot prettier.

Peugeot 307 sw; Clio 197
Btw, what's so special about that trophy?

We don't have those in Belgium, as they ware UK only, you lucky b******s ... :rasp:

Status
Not open for further replies.