ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup unveiled

cup 182 mit stripes
LOL All joking aside, the fundamental flaw with the 197 is this. NOT ENOUGH POWER FOR THE WEIGHT IT'S DRAGGING AROUND. as Reno will never stick the turbo mill in it ,all the tinkering with gear ratios and shaving off a kilo here and there will allways mean it's just another bland euro-box.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hence the weight reduction.

Have you been keeping up with the thread jack?

Let me help, Renault have decided to launch a new 197 "Cup" and they have taken some things out to make it lighter.

cup 182 mit stripes
OK sarcastic *****, how heavy is it? You don't know,do you? Not as light as my cup I'll wager.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I don't know and neither do you.
Im not a betting man, it got me into trouble.

As for sarcastic. Find a mirror and say hi for me.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
bet the recaros weigh fack all!!! Wont longer gearing in 5th and 6th mean slower accleration time though?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
why anyone bothers to speak to this troll (ja.jack for anyone to dumb to realise.) is beyond me. Total waste of time as no discussion takes place. For anyone wondering, i have been absent form posting purely becuase i was wanking over a picture of a 182 cup. it has been a long few days...

As for the 197 cup - good to see the gears are changed. I'll be having a spin out next year to see if i want to upgrade :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Dont rise to it mate he's bored.

Shame its the worst kind of bored, bored and wrong.

VaVa
Well CynicSport all come out with the same drivel every time a new variant is launched.
If they had thier way we'd be driving megane engined clios that could eat supercars without you waking up do drive it.

YAWN!

Try something before you slate it. Then you are welcome to moan.

Well said. We don't even have the spec of the thing finalised, yet people have already written it off as rubbish!

Typical!

M135i
as i was getting at Laingo, i dont see how anyone can 'internet road test a car'

most are probably airfix test pilots anyhow ;)

cup 182 mit stripes
[/quote]

Better chassis, better brakes and no power sapping aircon pump though.[/quote]

I'll be ditching aircon and uprating brakes when I go for make-over at GDI.

Seb seems a bit hostile, I must have upset him somehow.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
nah not at all, takes a lot to upet me and some lonely little troll on CS will need to try harder. i'm just enjoying you sounding like a twit lol :D carry on.

SLK 350
Trouble is, I'm more than certain Renault would lovingly blow it's horn to the media for advertising the car and making us want to go to a dealer and buy one - It's their perogative.

Our perogative is analysing the car from the information we have and talking over the points mentioned to summise if we see the changes mentioned as being the difference between a hypothetical 0.1 seconds to 60, or whether we're talking about 1-3 seconds quicker on a track. Of course anybody buying a Cup will certainly be buying it for track performance shaving seconds off their PB's, as opposed to being stuck behind a dozen cars on the commute to work :rolleyes:.

The changes they've made in day to day driving will hopefully be better economy and more comfortable motorway/dc cruising, and less body roll. Sure that's great, but personally I'd prefer to buy a 197 with the new box, and cup chassis and be done with it.

With all of that said, I guess choice is no bad thing and therefore if someone wanted a poverty spec motor safe in the knowledge they're a fraction of a second quicker then that also is fine.

So my question is, who is the Cup aimed at?

*edited :)*

Last edited:
  SLK 350
Indeed I waffled almost full circle, but I just struggle to understand why someone buying a Clio would opt for such sacrifice in return for a fraction of a second.

Be interesting to see the book price on the Cup vs. 197 vs. R27.

SLK 350
So my question is, what is the point in this Cup model and who is it aimed at?

same customers as the 182 cup demographic?

Guggenheim_Mug.jpg

(Not aimed at yourself Seb btw :))

VaVa
That's another key point - If you can pick one of these up for like 12k people will snap them up.

Still find the gear ratios a bit strange - I had though they may just introduce the longer gears to the 197FF and leave the Cup with the shorter ratios. Seems strange to introduce a more performance oriented car, yet tone the gear ratios for better motorway cruising.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd buy it for sure. All my cars bar my current 182 have not had aircon. I could easily go to a car that didnt have it!!! The white option is Cup only from what i can make, and you can have the normal R27 alloys, satin balck ones being an option. So my spec would be Recaro's, no aircon, white, R27 alloys, then get some nice coilovers :)

SLK 350
True, if they do indeed knock them out for 13k then they'll have an audience no doubt, would probably also put a stop to dealers doing decent discounts on the 197FF - They must be worried though, either all the 197's sold purposefully avoid me, or they've sold none cause I've seen 2 on the roads I think not including those at meets/dealers.

Very true Laingo, as with the 172 Cup I'd have thought they'd have geared 1/2/3 more aggressively for the cup, but 5/6 needs sorting regardless of 197 variant...you cannot drive around at those revs at normal speeds, just daft.

SLK 350
...then get some nice coilovers :)

Interesting, people already talking about Coils despite the Cup chassis. The 197 does sit too high though I agree, and 7mm isn't really going to make much difference.

Renault should offer an option on Cup models for lowered suspension or go into partnership with someone like Eibach/Koni like Mazda did with the RX8-PZ.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just decided i'm gonna buy one of these. In white with recaro's and air con, sorted.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
How much weight will they have removed. Have to be a significant amount to make its performance competitive imo.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but just playing about on RS website and you can spec up a 197 F1 in Glacier White. Didn't think it was available yet in white.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not in this country iirc.... they are only 500 marked for the UK only?

Scirocco GT 210
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Renaultsport 197 Cup gearbox features a taller 5th and 6th gear ratios, raised from 16.1mph/1000rpm to 17.1 in 5th and from 18.9mph/1000rpm to 20.5 in 6th. This new specification will be fitted as standard to the Clio Renaultsport 197 from October this year.[/FONT]

People seem happy that the gear ratios have changed, but they haven't changed by much! A extra 1.6mph per 1000rpm in 6th? It's still going to be a poor motorway car IMO.

Although small, is it a least an improvement though.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
you sure a f1 in white?! Ill have a look when i get back on my comp.

Yup here's a screen grab of the page. Although I notice no LY colour option there either so could just be the website being crap.

Not in this country iirc.... they are only 500 marked for the UK only?

Nope I thought it was like the Megane R26, it's not a limited run but a special edition.

Last edited: