ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 manifold and de-cat to 172 cup

2x 172 cups
As Title

What are the issues with fitting one to a cup re
loss of power till mapped?
will there be any benefits when fitted and mapped?
does it make any difference?
any suggestions welcomed,
thanks guys/ girls

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The difference is pretty minimal, and hence the changes in the map will be minimal, so running without them is unlikely to cause you any problems, but obviously to get the absolute best from it you will need it mapping to suit, but most people who have these cars just have a generic map anyway thats probably no closer on a 172 manifold than it is on a 182 one anyway.

Its a b**ch to fit by the way, need to either drop the subframe down, or lean the engine forward or take the head off, none of which is pleasant.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its a pain to fit but worth every bit of effort imo, best mod i ever done.

drop subframe, undo steering collum pinch bolt, remove manifold lying on floor cursing and swearing, realise after all the swearing that the 182 manifold is even bigger! sqeeze it back in, refit it all back together and your done!

2x 172 cups
Not worried about the work as got ramp / workshop facility
just looking at the implications behind it,
what gives the 182 more horses?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not worried about the work as got ramp / workshop facility
just looking at the implications behind it,
what gives the 182 more horses?

The exhaust manifold helps a little (well its more the cat than the manifold really TBH), the inlet manifold helps a little, and the map is slightly different, but the net effects is only a couple of bhp on average and in fact all the highest fairly standard cars ive seen so far have been 172s, dont fall for the names and thinking it has 10bhp more, it doesnt.

2x 172 cups
The exhaust manifold helps a little (well its more the cat than the manifold really TBH), the inlet manifold helps a little, and the map is slightly different, but the net effects is only a couple of bhp on average and in fact all the highest fairly standard cars ive seen so far have been 172s, dont fall for the names and thinking it has 10bhp more, it doesnt.

cheers chip!!
not looking for great power just a little less restriction, going to spend on susspension and tyres

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well if you dont mind the work, I think the 182 manifold and cat arrangement is better, in fact when my mrs car did the cambelt earlier in the year and hence we had to rebuild the engine, a 182 manifold was one of the changes we made.

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Mines got a 182 manifold, decat and (yes I know) dastek unichip and couple other mods. Like it when I got it, so,don't know how different it is to standard cup. Ever fancy a ride give us a shout. Apparently 197 bhp according to print out I got from 05.

2x 172 cups
Mines got a 182 manifold, decat and (yes I know) dastek unichip and couple other mods. Like it when I got it, so,don't know how different it is to standard cup. Ever fancy a ride give us a shout. Apparently 197 bhp according to print out I got from 05.

yeah mate happy to have a ride up to you,
got a traders policy so no probs with insurance.
what exhaust system are you running?

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Just put on a ktec supersport, no centre silencer, hardcore lol!

You in the trade then?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Unless the other mods include some pretty hot cams there is no chance it's that power.

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hence the word apparently lol. Not lumpy enough to have cams, wanna get it on a RR myself. Performance mods are 182 manifold CDA decat n Stainless so I gotta agree.

although it feels a lot quicker than the 182 lad at works got.