ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cup opinions

RB 182 cup,astra sri
I know there are a lot of mixed opinions on the 182 cup but i dont really understand why people hate them so much.

I hear people saying they are GASH and pointless. At the end of the day, whether its a 172 172 cup 182 or 182 cup, its still a clio. No one looks at one or the other and says 'oh but that one has half leather and climate control'. Its a clio regardless. I personally have just opted to buy a 182 cup in racing blue. My main reasons for this were that i wanted a racing blue 182 and the best example i could find was a cup. Never did i debate whether to go for it just because it didnt have a great interior or xenons or climate control. These are not the things that i was looking for in a car. If they were, i wouldnt have been buying a clio. Yes its nice to have the luxuries to an extent, but in not having them, it does not make it any less enjoyable to own. Regardless of whether my arse is sitting on leather or cloth, the enjoyment of driving it is the same. If its warm i put the window down (unless its peeing down) and if its dark, the lights work the same regardless of what type of bulb is shining.

I can understand that the main reason for the cup version was to make it a little more affordable and appealing to new car buyers who werent so keen on spending so much money on a clio, and can accept that it was not a real attempt at making a stripped out lighter weight car. If i were buying this car new i probably would have opted for a cup to save the cash anyway.

This is of course just my opinion but i would welcome others to express their views on the subject. Probably opening up a can of worms here and its probably been debated loads before but i just wanted to tell my side of things as i am quite excited about becoming a renault sport clio owner again in picking the car up tomorrow!

PS, in a way i am glad there are less electronics in the car as my experience in renault electrics has not been good and have had a few problems with them in the past.

Cheers,

Craig

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Typical CS mini-bandwagon. The 197/200cup aren't pointless, but the 182cup is? Idiots!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Options sell cars!

As a whole, we are car enthusiasts. To the masses, they prefer things like air con and half plastic seats, personally, i know what id prefer.

To put it this way, the cup isnt as "track orientated" as an R26R which compared to a normal R26/225/F1 Megane, so for me makes it a pointless addition, if it were as track focused it would have got a more welcome reception i would have thought, its no quicker, not alot lighter and lets face it, that interior is fooking jailbait looking!

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Options sell cars!

As a whole, we are car enthusiasts. To the masses, they prefer things like air con and half plastic seats, personally, i know what id prefer.

To put it this way, the cup isnt as "track orientated" as an R26R which compared to a normal R26/225/F1 Megane, so for me makes it a pointless addition, if it were as track focused it would have got a more welcome reception i would have thought, its no quicker, not alot lighter and lets face it, that interior is fooking jailbait looking!

fair points. As i said, the material of the interior when i was looking for this car would have been bottom in a scoring matrix. Lets face it, they are the same seats as a non cup only a different material. It doesnt make them any less / more comfortable. 182 cups do have air con, i have air con in my other car and it gets used about 2% of the time. I am not sure that i agree that it was ever intended to be track orientated. I dont know exactly how it was advertised but it is really just a cheaper way to enjoy a renault sport clio like any other cup i think.

V6 255
Options sell cars!

How do you exain all the 200 cups being bought?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
fair points. As i said, the material of the interior when i was looking for this car would have been bottom in a scoring matrix. Lets face it, they are the same seats as a non cup only a different material. It doesnt make them any less / more comfortable. 182 cups do have air con, i have air con in my other car and it gets used about 2% of the time. I am not sure that i agree that it was ever intended to be track orientated. I dont know exactly how it was advertised but it is really just a cheaper way to enjoy a renault sport clio like any other cup i think.

Very valid points, i had noticed myself that it was dismissed almost in every thread straight away...! The thing is, 182 Cup's arent much cheaper than normal 182's though are they?

Its funny how the 172 Cup people adore yet the 182 Cup gets absolute pelters lol...

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Very valid points, i had noticed myself that it was dismissed almost in every thread straight away...! The thing is, 182 Cup's arent much cheaper than normal 182's though are they?

Its funny how the 172 Cup people adore yet the 182 Cup gets absolute pelters lol...

I dont know if they are that much cheaper because essentially there isnt that much difference in them. If you were to offset the cost of a 182 with cup packs, they probably would be significantly cheaper than a 182 cup, because of the added cost that comes with the cup packs.

I owned a 172 cup for 3 years and out of everything, the one thing that really annoyed me was the steering wheel. If anything, the steering wheel on the 182 cups doesnt seem to wear quite as badly. But i dont know enough about that to say whether thats true or not.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
It will ultimatley boil down to personal preference i suppose! Variety is the spice of life and all that!

Yeah thats spot on. I suppose in posting this i was just annoyed to see so many people slating the 182 cup for the reasons i mentioned.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The wheel in the 182cup is more basic, so doesn't melt as a result. Also slightly thinner rim, I preffered it. To some people pleather and xenons aren't that important. To other people, they just wanted the cheapest option.

M3 SMG
My main reasons for this were that i wanted a racing blue 182 and the best example i could find was a cup. Never did i debate whether to go for it just because it didnt have a great interior or xenons or climate control. These are not the things that i was looking for in a car.

Craig

You answered your own question there mate.

If it suits YOUR needs, who cares what a bunch of people on the internet who arent you think?

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I appreciate 100% what Craig has asked and presented.

I've just bought a 182 Cup in Racing Blue.
The main reasons being the overall condition, mileage and service history of the car.

Sure I could have got a full spec'd 182 with cup packs for the price I paid, but it would have had 20k more miles on and not been in as good condition.
My car is absolutely mint, and this is why I bought it. It has been meticulously cared for, and I think I would have found it hard, nigh on impossible to find one anywhere as good.

So to conclude, I actually bought my 182 Cup out of chance more than anything. If it had been a FF182 I would have bought it.
The leather/ climate/ xenons/ auto wiper make no odds to me. I've had them before on one of the 172's.
I would have liked them, but would rather have had the mint car and Cup spec, than not so mint and all the trinklements.

What makes me laugh a bit is people on here waxing lyrical about 172 cups, yet poo-poo'ing the 182 Cups as a poor mans version.
Having owned a 172 a few years back and having driven many, I'd personally say the 182 Cup is a far better handling car than the 172 Cup.
In essence just adding the A/C makes it a much more useable daily driver in the hot weather, and ABS adds a little confidence in the not too hot weather.:eek:

Maybe this ones been better looked after than the 172 though.

The auto wipers in the FF are comical anyway. Proper s**t. The xenons shine half as far, and the climate needs adjusting more than manual AC. The FF heroes have always cracked me up, as though they're driving around in a f**king Maybach just because the have the same chairs, covered in bin liners.

182Cup has everything that makes the 182 great, and none of the stuff that makes it s**t by never working. The steering wheel does still melt, though.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
The auto wipers in the FF are comical anyway. Proper s**t. The xenons shine half as far, and the climate needs adjusting more than manual AC. The FF heroes have always cracked me up, as though they're driving around in a f**king Maybach just because the have the same chairs, covered in bin liners.

182Cup has everything that makes the 182 great, and none of the stuff that makes it s**t by never working. The steering wheel does still melt, though.

Have to agree with that, although i have a 172, as you say the Auto wipers are a joke, a little bit of rain they go f**king nuts, the xenons aint that bright, i might just need better bulbs though... Also my climate is stupid, if you want it to blow hot air it needs to be blowing at max speed, any lower and it blows cold air. Id rather have a cup tbh..

M3 SMG
The xenons are excellent, the climate is excellent wipers aren't great but everything else is fantastic. I wanted a car that did everything my M3 did toy wise and the FF Clio suited me to a T.

This bashing of cup/FF cars because you own one or the other is just pathetic imo

JMR

RB 182 Cup

Well summed up. :approve:
Like I say, I've had full spec without cup pack and Cup spec alone now. I'm more than happy with this one.

The FF heroes have always cracked me up, as though they're driving around in a f**king Maybach just because the have the same chairs, covered in bin liners.

This cracked me up..:lolup:

Yep, my auto-wipers, climate control and xenons all work superbly. I wouldn't be without them.

Of course others may disagree. Personally I'm not that arsed about having the cup packs but I'm sure others would rather do without a RS Clio at all than go without the cup suspension. Choices choices, to each his own etc etc. Wouldn't life be boring if we all wanted the same thing and drove around in identical cars.

Clio 182

Personally I think that the 182 FF does everything that the 182 cup does + adds the spec!

I genuinely cannot grasp the argument.

Also its just something less to go wrong well, how often to xenons, leather/suede seats, or wipers go wrong?

Ok A/C can go wrong, but the majority of newish cars have A/C so don`t really see that point.

If you dont want something just incase it goes wrong, then sell your Clio

Last edited:
  clio 182 cup
the clio sport, as a marque, no matter what version, or model type , are some of the best hot hatches ever devised, ever. alot is made of the fact that the 182 ff has aircon, and so must be less focused, i suppose thats true, but if u ever actually saw, and felt the weight of all aircon components, well were talking maybe 10lb bag of spuds? max. normal people, using there sports normaly wouldnt notice the weight anyway, what im trying to say, is its all good, always has been, and unless renault go like peugeot, allways will be, hurrah!!!!

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
When I bought my 182, instead of focusing on whether it had xenon's and half leather seats I focused on the best available for the price at that time.
As it worked out, I looked at a FF model before I got my cup, it had a lot higher miles and the condition was nowhere near as good and the cup was a lot better drive. That's what led me to buy it, not to mention the fact it was a lot cheaper. I wasn't too bothered about the extra's the full fat version had.

My advice would be not to focus on the small things unless you are rediculously anal. Focus on the condition of the car as a whole, whether its a cup or FF version.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
the clio sport, as a marque, no matter what version, or model type , are some of the best hot hatches ever devised, ever. alot is made of the fact that the 182 ff has aircon, and so must be less focused, i suppose thats true, but if u ever actually saw, and felt the weight of all aircon components, well were talking maybe 10lb bag of spuds? max. normal people, using there sports normaly wouldnt notice the weight anyway, what im trying to say, is its all good, always has been, and unless renault go like peugeot, allways will be, hurrah!!!!

The 182 cup also has aircon. It's just the 172 cup that doesn't.

The whole point is that they are both great cars for the money. If one chooses the Cup, then great. If one chooses the FF, then that's great too.

The context here is the classic perception of the Cup being a pointless car, usually from people deluded enough to think their FF 182 is the best car ever made.

Everything that makes it great, yes. But not everything that makes it good. If that makes sense.

You gain nothing by losing nicer things. They aren't the best seats/lights/auto shiz, but it's still nice to have them. The only advantage a 182 Cup has is the price. Even then you've got a 50/50 chance of a s**t colour.

It's not the only advantage is it? The Cup has better headlamps and the wipers don't need adjusting every 30 seconds. The steering wheel is smaller, and it doesn't have those rubber grips that crumble off in your hands. I've spent a lot of time in an FF, and there was nothing in it that made we sad I had a Cup. There were, however, plenty of things in it that made me glad I had a Cup.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
i have owned both 172 cup and 182cup and the 182 grips better is more stable and slightly better top end. 172cup is rawer and is more throttle adjustable quicker off the mark slightly. i dont want leather in my hatchbacks so cup was the only option for me hence buying 2 cups.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i have owned both 172 cup and 182cup and the 182 grips better is more stable and slightly better top end. 172cup is rawer and is more throttle adjustable quicker off the mark slightly. i dont want leather in my hatchbacks so cup was the only option for me hence buying 2 cups.

And one girl?

RS 182 CUP
There's only 539 182cups made. Only 39 more than a trophy. Thinner windows just to make a cheaper version, er no!

RB182cup&golf gti
When i bought mine 6 years ago (time flies!) I wanted a 182 with the cup packs as that was what mattered to me (the engine and the handling). The day I went to the dealer was the day they brought this model out so it was perfect timing for me as got the car I wanted and saved some dosh as well. Still love it today and touch wood it's still mint but hardly get to use it. Has the belts done earlier this year at Birchdown and it's only on 16k miles. The only thing I didnt like at the time was the lack of colour choice as I wanted the artic blue, but so glad I got racing blue.