ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential new owner advice sought

996 GT3, 458 Spider
I wonder if I could ask for a members for some advice. I’m looking for a fun daily car.

I have a track car and something for high days and holidays road trips etc. what I’m after is something that could turn the mundane daily into fun when the mind takes me. my mileage is typically on decent roads, some of it inevitably stuck in traffic.

Looking to spend around 10 to 12 K. I’m wondering what would suit best, 182 trophy or 200 cup etc.

Thank you in advance

Stuflac

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup

Buy this. High mileage, apparent well looked after example. 7.5k.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I saw you were after the Blue 200 Cup on Collecting Cars.

182 are lighter hence feel torquier but older and parts getting more difficult.

200 are newer (but still old). Weight means you need to chase the redline.

With the 200. Most people seem to like Full Fat ( Non Cup) with Cup Packs and Recaros/Speedlines (although you can add both later). Colours have big factor on Price too.

My Ideal would be the above in Green/Yellow.

There is a low miles 200 Cup on Ebay which looks good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17610146...NiDG95x+O8zIdunAghGCSyyQ==|tkp:Bk9SR7jKw6eXYw

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As a car itself I would prefer a Mk2 but as a daily I think I’d probably choose a Mk3.

Mk2’s are rusty now, parts are getting harder and harder to get and if you’re anything like me you’ll just drove it like a dickhead everywhere. 😂

The Mk3 is a bit more civilised, more comfy and I think I’m right in saying you can still get every single part for them.

NickReilly063

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy Rs265
Andy’s Trophy is a great car @ £7500 - very well looked after and pretty much depreciation proof.

However I have just bought a RS265 to use as a daily now and again too.

This looks a nice example however it’s not a track spec car - 2 owners though not 1 like the advert says

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I've been driving MK2 182 Clios to work for 5 years. My RB is fully restored with new genuine parts, except for the exhaust. It's factory, comfortable, and great for long distance business meetings. Insurance is £17/month, averaging 35 mpg. Road tax is £32/month. Consider a factory 182 Trophy for a nice drive; avoid modifications to prevent constant issues. Some parts are NLA, and a 200 was too boring for daily commutes. Despite access to new cars, I stick with my MK2s. Gearbox concerns exist, but I drive respectfully. Rust is a major issue, but restoration keeps it at bay. Good luck with your search!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Andy’s Trophy is a great car @ £7500 - very well looked after and pretty much depreciation proof.

However I have just bought a RS265 to use as a daily now and again too.

This looks a nice example however it’s not a track spec car - 2 owners though not 1 like the advert says

My mates have the 250 Cup and it’s really good. Both have high performance Audi and BMW cars but love driving it. I’d definitely consider one of those or a 265 once the old girl goes the journey. A 200 just doesn’t inspire me. I’d rather go back to an N or perhaps a GTi or GTD Golf. The logical step is 182 > Megane in the Renault world.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
To be fair I just gave you an update on Clio's.

Had 182, Trophy,197 Cup, 200 Cup Pack, R26 Lux and now a 275 Cup-S.

All were daily's although Trophy was only Clio I drove to Scotland ( 550 miles each way)

Had each of the Clios for a year. R26 for 5 years and just over 5 for the Cup-S. So Meg for the win!

182 & Meganes capable of 40 mpg on motorway. 200/197 more like 36 mpg due to Grearing/wt/lack of torque.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Have you considered a mk4?

£12k would get you a low mileage 2015+ car.

Don’t be put off by the auto box. My Mk4 trophy is an absolute hoot. I’ve had a 182 and 2 x 200’s and the mk4 p*sses alll over all of them in my humble opinion.

996 GT3, 458 Spider
Thanks for all the feedback its really valuable hearing the wisdom of years of experience.

I'm a sucker for an n/a engine and manual box so the mk4 I have to unfortunately set aside.

Andy's 182 trophy looks lovely - I need to think through it I have never bought a car with that high miles but I see the work that has been done on it.

This trophy also looked quite good to me https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/15645122

And this 200 too https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/15564309

Would welcome any thoughts on these or if anyone knows the cars.

Thanks again

NickReilly063

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy Rs265
The Trophy is a really great looking thing - looks like it’s had loads done to it which is great 👍🏻

Only issue is can it be trusted to the reason why it’s on the register - shame really.

I’d do a VCHECK on it to bring up the history

Attachments

• IMG_1350.png
    IMG_1350.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1351.png
    IMG_1351.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1349.png
    IMG_1349.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 32

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
For a NA manual the 200 is a good shout. The 182 is a great car but if your going to put miles on one the lack of parts availability has to be a consideration imo. Only the unique body panels are nla for the 197/200 as far as I'm aware. The mpg is poor and the cup pack is stiff but when you're driving for fun it definitely hits the spot.

And they look the best too.
IMG_20230917_095431.jpg

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
The Trophy is a really great looking thing - looks like it’s had loads done to it which is great 👍🏻

Only issue is can it be trusted to the reason why it’s on the register - shame really.

I’d do a VCHECK on it to bring up the history

That Grey 200 looks quite modded. Sits very Low. Did Yellow Dot Recaro's come with white headrest rear seats? Maybe retrofitted which is no bad thing but seller makes quite a bit about there rarity. Quite a bit of Engine work there. Not sure NA responds that well to tuning? Others can comment. May make worse lower down the rev range which it can ill afford,

The Blue 200 on Ebay looked a better less messed with car.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I've had 172 cups and used a 182 for a bit, and then had the 197.
172 and 182 great on fuel for what they are, and not bad drivers at all.
197 lovely drive, better handling, better brakes , soooo comfy with the Recaros but underpowered and crap on fuel in comparison.
Swings and roundabouts really.
If the 197 felt as nippy and did similar on fuel to the 172 and 182 then I would consider another.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
The Mk3 is a bit more civilised, more comfy and I think I’m right in saying you can still get every single part for them.

Aux belt kits are a nightmare, The MK3 has gone like the MK2 and everything seems to be NLA.

Renault now no longer have any stock of the Aux belt kits in the UK or France and there is no date given for it :(

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
few points id make having owned them all over the years.

there's no reason imo to own a trophy over any other mk2 RS as a drivers car especially given the price, for me the 172 cup was the best drivers car, and you will have just as much or more fun in a cheap ph2 172 with change to overhaul it, but your money will probably be safer in a trophy?

at that budget you have your pick of the mk3s, I've bought a brand new one, a cheap as chips one a very good used one and every single one has fucked me over, my current one (the cheap one) is now almost mechanically perfect, but if you don't spanner yourself then buy a good one and budget that it will screw you from time to time.

mk3s feel like something a lot more serious to drive, they feel like a proper drivers car from the first time you drive over the dropped kerb coming out your drive and you feel how stiff the chassis is!

mk2s feel like something your big brothers mate built in his garage (not always a bad thing!) given the fact they are basically a normal mk2 clio with a tuned laguna engine and bigger brakes and suspension!

I wouldn't worry about the whole 172s feel faster, or are faster, side by side a strong 197 is faster than a weak 182 and vice versa. the rawness of the 172 makes them feel faster than they are, but the short ratio 6 speed box makes the 197/200 feel brilliant when you get it on the boil

fuel consumption on the mk3 is horrific for performance, but not really relevant these days if its a toy

Tarticmonkey

ClioSport Club Member
  CLIO 197 CUP,
I will also add to the above point about mk3's being shocking on fuel is that they sit at like 3.5k and higher at motorway speeds.

My friend has a very nice low mile LY 200 with an Akra on it and won't do more than 65 on the motorway due to the noise!