ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Vs Vee 255

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just been out for a good, long drive with a Vee. All I can say, even from another car, fantastic machine. Not perfect (far from it), but amazing sound, amazing looks, love it.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Just been out for a good, long drive with a Vee. All I can say, even from another car, fantastic machine. Not perfect (far from it), but amazing sound, amazing looks, love it.

yeah but would you take it over an s2000? it was top of the top gear survey you know

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
I looked at a Mk2 Clio V6 before buying my TVR. I test drove one and thought it was great, but too slow and still just a Renault Clio at the end of the day.

They do sound good, but not compared to any TVR - especially the Rover V8's. I'd had the 172 Cup and felt that was about the pinnacle for Clio ownership. The V6 just struck me as a bit too expensive and slow for what it is.

Saying that - I commend Renault for putting the money into creating a car that drives the correct wheels and is aimed purely at drivers.

Torque is great - I just love the lurch forwards in any gear at any revs that my Chimaera gives - but that's 1060kg and 300lbft of torque though. Lovely part is - you still get a top end rush with 280+bhp as well :) Low torque, high revving engines only really make sense on race tracks and traffic light grand prix's.

TVR now thats a car not an s2000
aye ollie told me there amazing, bit of a heavy clutch though

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

i saw a mk1 the other night for a bit and it does sound the business, cant deny that.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Honda S2000, Porsche Boxster, Nissan 350Z...

All turn heads, handle, are fun and challenging.

Z3M Coupe would have to be in the list;)

Has to be said the V looks top but imo looks faster than it is which is a shame.

i looked at z3m's before i got the vee but good condition ones still command a relatively high price and have vanos issues but a fantastic car nevertheless.

This is all down to personal preference but, an s2k better than a vee is just absurd IMO

Lionel Richie
out of all the cars i've driven/instructed in i still "feel at home" in a V6, i really do find it that special!

i don't rate ferrari 360's for example (i've spent a long time driving them) but that's my opinion

Clio

I think that sums it up, its not perfect, its not practicle, its not cheap to run, its not going to destroy any performance car, but it is what it is, some mad loony frenchman threw the profit making book out the window for a short period of time and did something completly different to any of their competitors!!

Can anyone name a car during its production life that it was in a market to compete with?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Seems to be 2 type of driver on here. Those that want the most capable car, regardless of fun factor and enjoyment. Then those that don't mind a less capable but more characterful/fun car, even if it's slower. Hopefully I'm in the second group.:rasp:

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Matt - "the old dog" as you put it, was it running NOS ?? If not what are the two canisters behind the seats ?

Yeh its gas - 100 jets with prog controller. Blew the engine as well due to a bad set up ( Renault kindly fitted a new one for free under warranty )

I think that sums it up, its not perfect, its not practicle, its not cheap to run, its not going to destroy any performance car, but it is what it is, some mad loony frenchman threw the profit making book out the window for a short period of time and did something completly different to any of their competitors!!

Can anyone name a car during its production life that it was in a market to compete with?

yeah thats how i feel about it.

on the bank holiday weekend i was driving up the m40/m6 and saw a gallardo, an F430 and an rs200. all of them gave me the thumbs up and the lambo and ferrari had a little spirited play too. the vee is not quite a supercar, but it can certainly rub its shoulders with them!

you couldnt really say the same for an s2000. great cars, but they are ten a penny.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
PMSL @ this thread.

Gaz - Give up mate...Your fighting a loosin battle. I'm all all us Vee owners would agree a 4k skyline/evo/scoob would beat it in a drag race. A 10k DC2/DC5/R27? would beat it on track...

Do we care. Do we f**k!!!!!!

The S2000 is faster than a 182, probably on par with the DC5 as std...touch quicker i believe. And the Vee is faster than a std Dc5...You do the math.

How can we sum this up.

I spend a fortune on fuel, but i'd rather spent 60£ on fuel to make me smile than 60£ out on the lash!
If you can't justify the lack of room/seats/fuel/tax/looks/stickon kit/same interior as 172/crap handling?/slower than 172 performance then by an Evo like every other c**t!

Ali Ouuuttttttt!!

MCS R56

yeah thats how i feel about it.

on the bank holiday weekend i was driving up the m40/m6 and saw a gallardo, an F430 and an rs200. all of them gave me the thumbs up and the lambo and ferrari had a little spirited play too. the vee is not quite a supercar, but it can certainly rub its shoulders with them!

you couldnt really say the same for an s2000. great cars, but they are ten a penny.

Nowhere near a supercar is closer. It's a Clio with a big engine and a big body kit. Unique - yes. Exotic - I guess. They are not bought for their performance.

This could go on and on but for me, the Vee is a waste of money. I would have an S2000 over it. Infact, I wouldn't ever look at a V6, no matter what they cost.

Thank you and good night.

MCS R56
PMSL @ this thread.

Gaz - Give up mate...Your fighting a loosin battle. I'm all all us Vee owners would agree a 4k skyline/evo/scoob would beat it in a drag race. A 10k DC2/DC5/R27? would beat it on track...

The S2000 is faster than a 182, probably on par with the DC5 as std...touch quicker i believe. And the Vee is faster than a std Dc5...You do the math.

How can we sum this up.

I spend a fortune on fuel, but i'd rather spent 60£ on fuel to make me smile than 60£ out on the lash!
If you can't justify the lack of room/seats/fuel/tax/looks/stickon kit/same interior as 172/crap handling?/slower than 172 performance then by an Evo like every other c**t!

Ali Ouuuttttttt!!

Funny how the V6 people get very defensive when their Clio get's a mention.

I didn't say the Clio was slower than a S2000. I just said the S2000 is a better car, which it is.

Don't be mad at Evo owners.

Clio v6 & Atom 300
The thing people always forget is that the handling of a Vee is a challenge. Its harder to drive well. I needs finesse and skill. Smooth inputs. A skilled driver will be MUCH faster in a Vee than any standard CUP etc in ANY conditions. Many on here will be slower but its not the car its the driver!;)

Proof
Top Gear test track. The Vee in the PISS DOWN RAIN / MONSOON (i'm sure you have seen the vids) was faster than a cup in the dry. Yes the poor handling car with RWD and mid engine is faster in the wet. Funny that eh? Same time as a Aston Martin Vanquish in the same conditions. Slow eh? Pah.:rasp:

If your faster in a cup its cos you can't drive! Fact. Proven as above! The end!:approve:

Peter:)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
PMSL @ this thread.

How can we sum this up.

Ali Ouuuttttttt!!

I didn't say the Clio was slower than a S2000. I just said the S2000 is a better car, which it is.

Your opinion. Just as many people don't want a vee, many don't want an s2000. Have you driven one out of ineterest? I have, s2000 (this was a pre 2008 car) has the most nervous chassis I've ever driven, you have no idea how much grip the rear has.

MCS R56
The thing people always forget is that the handling of a Vee is a challenge. Its harder to drive well. I needs finesse and skill. Smooth inputs. A skilled driver will be MUCH faster in a Vee than any standard CUP etc in ANY conditions. Many on here will be slower but its not the car its the driver!;)

Proof
Top Gear test track. The Vee in the PISS DOWN RAIN / MONSOON (i'm sure you have seen the vids) was faster than a cup in the dry. Yes the poor handling car with RWD and mid engine is faster in the wet. Funny that eh? Same time as a Aston Martin Vanquish in the same conditions. Slow eh? Pah.:rasp:

If your faster in a cup its cos you can't drive! Fact. Proven as above! The end!:approve:

Peter:)

Good facts. Very amusing.

Megane 225 Cup | 106 GTi
Why do threads involving V6's have to drag on for so long with people bickering about what better cars there are out there :rolleyes: It's personal preference!

I've noticed the same thing whenever there's a Trophy related thread.

Arguably 2 of the best cars Renaultsport have ever produced, and theres never a good word said about them, on a forum which is supposed to be Clio enthusiasts?!

We should have all bought 172 cups and put them on H&R's then we could all be friends :)

Nippy white cup
Why do threads involving V6's have to drag on for so long with people bickering about what better cars there are out there :rolleyes: It's personal preference!

I've noticed the same thing whenever there's a Trophy related thread.

Arguably 2 of the best cars Renaultsport have ever produced, and theres never a good word said about them, on a forum which is supposed to be Clio enthusiasts?!

We should have all bought 172 cups and put them on H&R's then we could all be friends :)

Ahh the real star of Renault mentioned at the end ;)

Chris

I love all of the vee related banter tbh (shall I resurrect the thread on - have you ever driven a vee ??) As some I bet, haven't at all.

Also, I lol'd hard at a porsche boxster & an s2000 being head turning cars, no they aren't at all !!! A boxster is common as, out of twenty cars I think at least two would be boxsters. S2000's are rarer, but it's not un heard of seeing one on the road at all.

The 350z on the other hand is rare, so that car will (and does turn heads) and I like them.
The vee of course, does do it:) but soo many people look & then pretend not to see it :rolleyes: (in my experience they look & then turn their head away in neck snapping fashion, i've no idea why tbh:S )

MCS R56
I love all of the vee related banter tbh (shall I resurrect the thread on - have you ever driven a vee ??) As some I bet, haven't at all.

Also, I lol'd hard at a porsche boxster & an s2000 being head turning cars, no they aren't at all !!! A boxster is common as, out of twenty cars I think at least two would be boxsters. S2000's are rarer, but it's not un heard of seeing one on the road at all.

The 350z on the other hand is rare, so that car will (and does turn heads) and I like them.
The vee of course, does do it:) but soo many people look & then pretend not to see it :rolleyes: (in my experience they look & then turn their head away in neck snapping fashion, i've no idea why tbh:S )

Well if you say so, then I take it all back.

Clio v6
The v6 is rare and quite different to look at. Some people are just a bit scared of different.

It's not all about speed which I have finally realised. I did the want more power thing, and now I'm back to a standard, but working car. It still looks brilliant, and you can still add nice new wheels and things to make it even more special.

Each to their own.

MCS R56
The v6 is rare and quite different to look at. Some people are just a bit scared of different.

It's not all about speed which I have finally realised. I did the want more power thing, and now I'm back to a standard, but working car. It still looks brilliant, and you can still add nice new wheels and things to make it even more special.

Each to their own.

True

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Your opinion. Just as many people don't want a vee, many don't want an s2000. Have you driven one out of ineterest? I have, s2000 (this was a pre 2008 car) has the most nervous chassis I've ever driven, you have no idea how much grip the rear has.
Gaz, as above, have you driven the honda or the v6

Renaultsport Clio V6
FWD clio's can get boaring!
RWD clio's have not boared me yet!

It's all about how much fun you have driving.

£19000 worth of fun. Worth every penny. ;)

Last edited:
  Mk4 .:R32
FWD clio's can get boaring!
RWD clio's have not boared me yet!

It's all about how much fun you have driving.

£19000 worth of fun. Worth every penny. ;)

Mead_wild_boar.JPG

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner

And whoever signed off those ridiculous gear ratios needs shooting. You only have decent go on Vtec, and to get to Vtec you need to be doing over 60mph in 2nd gear ffs!

Dan

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I'd also just like to add, aside from Vee meets and driving into FCS - I've never seen another Vee on the road :)

Dan

MCS R56
Gaz, as above, have you driven the honda or the v6

Driven a S2000 but not a V6.

Remember how this started though. £35K to spend and I gave 3 examples of what I'd rather buy. I've never once said that the Vee is $hit. I just don't rate it, starting with the looks.

gaz - go & drive a vee, then comment. "Don't rate it but never have driven one" you sound like half the forum who comment but have never driven one tbh.

I'm bored now.

MCS R56
gaz - go & drive a vee, then comment. "Don't rate it but never have driven one" you sound like half the forum who comment but have never driven one tbh.

I'm bored now.

So you have no opinion on cars you haven't driven?

Even if it was the best car I had ever driven, I still wouldn't. You've got to actually like the car first.