ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Vs Vee 255

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Went for a little drive with Riz (and his new Vee) last night. Was quite surprised, the Vee corners much harder (and flatter) than I thought they could. Speed wise, not much in it if I was in the right gear just below 5k revs, Vee pulled slightly (but steadily). If I was in the wrong gear, owned! Just disappears up the road. In short, awesome, and def my next car!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
The sheer in gear grunt of the Vee's is what makes them so handy in the real world, it's a brilliantly torquey engine. They do handle very well - it's just if it does let go because the limits are so high, they're tricky to catch - especially with the short wheelbase and mid engine.

Dan

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yeah, thats what it looked like. The in-gear grunt is light years ahead of a hot hatch. Major worry for me, is if we hit the £1.50 litre, with my mileage the additional fuel cost would be ~£1500. But TBF there aren't many cars at that price point that are so enjoyable regardless of speed.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
lol! good feedback! Nice to see people judging the car after they've been in them, and not quoting others 'Lack' of knowledge!!!

The Vee is Alot quicker than a 182 imo...Esp after 100!! Out the bends on tracks too, the torque is effortless!

Not to mention they look and sound amazing!

You should try one on coilovers! ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
lol! good feedback! Nice to see people judging the car after they've been in them, and not quoting others 'Lack' of knowledge!!!

The Vee is Alot quicker than a 182 imo...Esp after 100!! Out the bends on tracks too, the torque is effortless!

Not to mention they look and sound amazing!

You should try one on coilovers! ;)
That an offer;) . Steering is strange (coming from FWD), almost no weight but still decent feel. Think it's a car you have to learn to trust, but I'd rather take the time in a Vee rather than get in and just put my foot down in a rice rocket.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
bearing in mind riz can't drive it properly yet either, he was changing gear at 6000 LOL
You think he ever will;) . He does look a mong driving it, too tall. Looks stooped over the wheel, Lurch style.
lurch2.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
One word that 182 owners fear about the V6...

Torque.

I don't think i want one anymore, but i can definitely see the appeal and i still love a good Vee.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Tell me how!

I'm going to take vids in gear to show you the difference... Bored of this chat about 182's being quicker

182 - 6.9 to 60
V6 - 5.7 to 60

Doesn't take a genius to figure out it's quicker across the board, standing or in gear.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
We were both going for it yesterday, even if I was in the right gear the vee pulled away. Not masses, but def pulled away. Nothing wrong with my 172 either, was dead level (if not pulling ever so slightly) against Riz's previous (182). In gear, no contest.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Yeh. 1*2's arn't slow, but it's the arguement that the vee is slower which makes me laugh! I've owned both! And a mod'd 172 at that!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Some scottish dude told me a fable about running water, inside toilets, no more open sewers. Explain that? Beheaded him for troubles, damn colonies.

Golf R soon...
I would have had a Vee if I had never bought the 182...the interior is too similiar...thats why I went for the R32 in the end. Completely different.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I would have had a Vee if I had never bought the 182...the interior is too similiar...thats why I went for the R32 in the end. Completely different.

Aye...Thats reno all over tho, Recaro's make a big difference to the overall driving experience but it's not in the same league as the VW's!

Then again it's also not as boring as the r32! ;) - You see my post in general automotive wi my bro's and dad's R's?!

LY V6 with Recaros
The vee is definitely quicker than the 182. I've owned both, and although the 182 is quick, my boyfriend was following me in my old 182 last night and I was pulling away from him. Both great fun cars to drive, the vee just takes some getting used to I think.

Agree with Ali, Recaros make a massive difference to the interior.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Tell me how!

I'm going to take vids in gear to show you the difference... Bored of this chat about 182's being quicker

182 - 6.9 to 60
V6 - 5.7 to 60

Doesn't take a genius to figure out it's quicker across the board, standing or in gear.

Balls ^^

Look you trout, i'm right your wrong. Deal wi it!

can a v6 corner as well as a 1*2?

less nimble...other thing to pass me on the RS trackday was a 172 on slicks and driven like a pellet and a cup racer.
Add coils and it's leagues ahead imo.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
can a v6 corner as well as a 1*2?
Standard, not a great deal in it but requires a completely different technique. Vee's all about exit speed, sacrifice entry speed to get the right exit and a standard 1*2 will struggle.

Pmsl at all the banter.

In the real world (not cs world where vee's are a pile of crap lol) Having driven a standard 172 a lot of times & a standard vee (all be it a 230) There is no real comparison imo, the vee takes it all the time. The vee can & will launch off of the line soo much better than a 172/182 and when it does it'll be a good few car lengths in front already.

One thing I notice every time I do drive the 172 is that when taken above 5k the noise inside the car is awful, it sounds like you should have changed gear along time ago, not with more revs to go. I find the complete opposite when in the vee tbh.

The only part that the car (vee) isn't so good with, as mentioned is the corners (which is to be expected really) The 172/182 would catch up a bit there, but in no way when driving it do I think it's going to lose grip & put me in a barrier. As we all know the 'poor handling' tag (talking on a mk1)only came about by motoring journo's pushing it to complete limit then losing it (that and folk getting hold of them & just going for it no matter what):rolleyes:

In every day driving, you'd have to be a complete dick to push any car (let alone one where all the weight is in the back) so hard that you risk stacking it.

Just my thoughts, i'll probalby end up getting my coat ;)

V6 Exige, GTR R35
here we go - i'll try and write a post without getting banned!

having driven ali's vee a couple of times and having previously owned a 203bhp 172 i'd say the vee would leave it quite easily. the vee does take a bit of getting used to and it was pissing it down one of the times so i was affraid to push it on, even when ali fell asleep! :boring:

It felt pretty planted and cornered well but again you need to find its limits as with any other car before you start pushing it.

however he did have some problems trying to pass teg the other week - didnt you son! :rasp:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
here we go - i'll try and write a post without getting banned!

having driven ali's vee a couple of times and having previously owned a 203bhp 172 i'd say the vee would leave it quite easily. the vee does take a bit of getting used to and it was pissing it down one of the times so i was affraid to push it on, even when ali fell asleep! :boring:

It felt pretty planted and cornered well but again you need to find its limits as with any other car before you start pushing it.

however he did have some problems trying to pass teg the other week - didnt you son! :rasp:

lol! yes! 60-140 side by side!! And a DC5 is a lot quicker than a 172..So logic dictates is the Vee and Dc5 are side by side...The 172 will be miles behind.

Aye the Dc5 would hammer it on track and on the road. On the way to knockhill i could see you fillin my mirrors! lol