ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 track car

Burgandy 174 sport t
buy a full fat 172 for the same price as a cup and sell all the bits u take out that the cup doesnt have to make some more money. leather aircon xenons spare wheel engine cover. Payin the same price for something that has less is pretty stupid imo unless the colour really is worth it but imo as good as i is it aint worth the extra cash!!!

Lionel Richie
more fun, well me and BenR are the only 2 that think so anyway

they have a cable throttle body instead of the shitty FBW, the gearbox is better too IMO and they come with 15's

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Sounds expensive....if I were you I'd buy my car and whack some buckets and cage in.;)

If you fancy something newer (and fatter/slower:rasp: ) I'd deffo go ph1 172 or 172 Cup....FF172 is slowest of the lot!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
more fun, well me and BenR are the only 2 that think so anyway

they have a cable throttle body instead of the s**tty FBW, the gearbox is better too IMO and they come with 15's

I'm interested to hear more on this Fred.

I'm getting a 172 within the month, I thought the gearbox was the same between the Ph1 and 2. Obviously getting a Ph1 would allow more modifications, even ITBs perhaps!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
re-profiled cams - hillpower £370 + vat exchange - http://www.hillpower.co.uk/ 01530 273633
viper induction - k-tec £200 ish
re-mapped ECU - Chipwizards in rochdale £400 01706 651000
de-cat - £50 - 01254 207008 RCR
polished / ported and matched inlets - GAY BENR / Hillpower 01530 273633

Copied from another thread somewhere by MATT BLACK

ian

Take all the money you were going to spend on all the other crap.

And buy the best new cage you can afford and get it welded / bolted in by a pro. Get second hand buckets and harnesses. Spend the rest on a set of slicks (and a new set of bearings and ball joints for when the slicks eat your suspension).

The rest of the rubbish is just window dressing. If you want to gain 1 bhp from a deat and ss exhaust, just buy a faster car to start with. BHP sounds good on forums and down the pub. Good tyres and brakes make you go fast.

plus any other advice would be very welcome as i have very little knowledge of the clio and need your expert advice
Forget tunning IMO as others have said much more to be gained by ligther and better gripping car.

what is your opinion on fse boost valves?
how many ponies do you think we'd be sittin on then coz my CTR is running about 220 bhp and i don't wanna be going backwards, and i know a clio is lighter but i still wanna be over the 200 mark
Forget the FSE boost valves waste of time. Lighter car will make up the HP deficit.

Is it not worth getting a cup?

not too sure on the differences, apart from it being lighter but i'm planning on lightening everything anyway. carbon door cards etc so is the extra money 4 the cup worth it?
Just bin the cards altogether then its ligther again.

Cup is ljust a bit ligher no air con etc its quicker as there less bits although personaly like BEnr and Fred have siad I'd get a phase 1 172 Ok its got air con and ABS but the air con can come out the ABS well just live with it or sort it out. Its got a proper cable throttle body and less complex computers etc plus the throttle bodys don't fail like mad.

if you dont wanna go backwards, then dont get a clio.
the 2.0 16v is already a pretty stressed engine, and its hard to get much more out without spending stupid amounts.
Its not realy stressed just not cheap to tune realy.

yeah, but i quite like what S22 said about the ff havin shorter gears and when i strip it out it'll be lighter than the cup, and i think the cups r more expensive.

The 172 Cup has the same ratios as the full fat 172's the phase 1 have longer ratios slighter as its lighter the later car gained a bit fo weight o keep the same 0-60 they cut the gearing a bit its not huge though.

does air con add much weight and is it a ball ache 2 remove if it does? never had air con before and don't really see the need, as long as ur window goes down :D and the seats would get pulled out in exchange 4 some buckets

and if it's cheaper for a cup that also sounds good,

Its not a huge issue to remove just need to sort a 172 CUp alternaotr bracket and bin the teniosners the full fat belts uses as the CUp uses the alternator bracket to tension the bent instead of tensioners.

insurance isn't really a problem, i hate ABS, and all the other computer crap they put in cars these days. i think the cup sounds better though coz of the lack of driver aids and air con
It has a quite complex computer (UCH computer) setup and with costs of new UCH when they fail thats why I'd keep away from them. Plus the phase 1 has the better throttle response.

I'd got for a phase 1 172 strip it remove the air con eveyhting realy then bilstein or Leda coilovers slicks and 4 pots personally.

Then again I think I'd just got buy a RWD kit car.

Megane Trophy
its probably cheaper to buy an ex clio cup race car now

£8k you can pick one up for

SVA test, register it and away you go as a crazy road car!

its probably cheaper to buy an ex clio cup race car now

£8k you can pick one up for

SVA test, register it and away you go as a crazy road car!

Would be great quite easy to do you can get them for less there was one for £5k reciently been crashed reshell it and your off.

Unusable on the road realy though its to stiff a suspension setup.

If you want to gain 1 bhp from a deat and ss exhaust then buy a s**t one.

Here here.

There is data on the net (french) on rolling road sessions before and after on a Clio Williams. They took the same car on the same day and bolted on and bolted off various combinations of breathing mods (all devil, all used by renaultsport in rallying). It was then rolling roaded by the same person using the same rolling road. Gains from a decat and ss exhaust were zero. The torque curve moved slightly for the decat. But it just moved down the power band. Probably the reason people think they give gains.

There was a small gain from a ss manifold, and a small gain from a remap. Both small.

I cant comment on the Mk2 cars, as i have seen no data. But a ss exhaust and a decat is a waste of money on a valver / williams unless the engine is tuned. A lot of people find a williams more drivable with a cat rather than a decat. Do a search, the info is out there.

Last edited:
  M2 Competition
Clio cup race cars... mint and very very fast, but...

Left hand drive, so a bugger to live with, Gearbox needs frequent rebuilds with hard use, would have to spend some cash on getting it road legal and sva'd, and is set-up for smooth race tracks, so not ideal on bumpy b-roads.

(lol, ive looked into this before)

Well the proof is in the data. You can beileive it, or ignore it. Either way, the decat and exhaust gave no gains in this test. Something i tend to agree with.

A quote from OMP regarding their inox motorsport exhausts goes something like this 'our exhaust is more free flowing than a standard system. But to get the most out of it you will need to alter the air fuel mixture'

Rather like saying 'our exhaust wont give any gains unless you tune your engine'

Youd think they'd know wouldnt you.

evo 6
kit car sounds nice but i need 2 be able 2 use it 2 nip down the shops etc and kit cars ain't much use in that respect, and a clio cup car would be nice but a sequential is a #*$! on the road and always need rebuilding and i ain't got that amount of time or expertise

the ph1 is starting to sound better, plus i can sell all the bits i pull out

CTR--VX220D
Have a look in my blog.

Been there and done it..... it will cost you a fortune to do it. If I could do it all again I would buy an Ex Cup Racer - job done!

Always buy a ready done track project - let someone else take the hit!

<------------Blog

M2 Competition
Been up on here a few times bri. I think maz was interested in buying at one point, she may have some details.

Cage is nice :) a few mickey mouse looking mods though