ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Racecar.

Evo 5 RS
Took me more weekends than I can remember to prep mine, it's a lot more work than you think if you've never done it before :/

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Two thirds of any total painting time is the prep. The physical act of applying the paint is the quickest part but the overall finish is made (or broken) by the quality of the prep.
And prepping an interior with cage in situ is, i quote, " a ballache". To paint it isn't simple either!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Pretty paint isn't going to make the car go any faster mate, I wouldn't worry. Leave the interior polishing to Ollie ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
To be fair, im sure once you're in 'the zone' on the race track, the interior could be sprayed in pink & brown dots and you wouldnt notice ...

It'll be fine Nick, just leave the poncy stuff to JLS ;)

Clio 172 RS2
Keep the updates coming! :approve:

Great find the ex. Clio Cup suspension... nice work also on getting loom down to what's needed.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I did say that the colour clash really won't matter......if you are hammering down Paddock Hill and worrying about whether or not your bum looks big in this colour then I really think your priorities are askew! ;)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Nick once you have a seat, part dash, padding over cage etc, I'm sure it will look great.

PMSL at JLS btw :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
great work on the doors, very interested in what you have lost from these....
hame on the interior, sure it will be fine

will be in contact shortly on the rear windows.

TrackCar & F30 330d
As people have already said the prep is pretty important and although it's a huge ballache it has to be done throughly, took me days of sanding to prep my inside. I went for the same colour as the outside and there is a slight difference in colour but only a little.

Once everything is back inside you'll forget it.

Also now your car is all painted how are you bonding in your rear 1/4 windows as I've not done mine yet!

As people have already said the prep is pretty important and although it's a huge ballache it has to be done throughly, took me days of sanding to prep my inside. I went for the same colour as the outside and there is a slight difference in colour but only a little.

Once everything is back inside you'll forget it.

Also now your car is all painted how are you bonding in your rear 1/4 windows as I've not done mine yet!

Yeah I know Chris, tbf once people look at it with all the doors and interior bits fitted it probably wont look that bad.

The windows I ordered supposedly had a bonding agent with them, wasnt in my package but Tom assures me he has some! I know I certainly wont be doing it thought! lol

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Come on then Nick, get these pictures up of your "awful" interior paint job......the one thats not actually that awful at all. You big drama queen....;)

Righty then! Some pictures of cage after paint, having looked at it again since being at the painters the way the sun was hitting it made it look worse than I thought but i'm growing to it now! :)

0306111.jpg

0306112.jpg

0306113.jpg

0306114.jpg

0306115.jpg

0306117.jpg

Both "work in progess" racecars! Which one will be done first? ;)

0306116.jpg

Today I got the front polycarbs fitted as well as the doors and bootlid, I havent cut anything out of bootlid yet as i'm going to wait for my polycarb rear screen to turn up that Neil (ph-reebone) is sorting out. Got all the rubbers back on with all of that, and it's starting to look like a car again now! Just need the rear quarter windows and front windscreen bonded in, pull Tom's finger out of his arse to start work on my updated RS-2 manifold and fix a random rear braided line thats started leaking for some reason since it's been away and she's ready to almost go on the road!

0406111.jpg

0406112.jpg

Also finished off the 'thinning' out of the loom, a shed load of weight saved and a lot more managable to get back in the car now! Just need to tidy it all up wrapping it up and sealing the cut wires and that can go back into the car also!

0406113.jpg

Cannot wait to drive the bloody thing again!

Cheers
Nick

Golf GTD Mk7
Looks good mate. Subtle! Looks a bit racing blue from the pics. When everything is in that will look ace

Cro

Meg'd r27
What was it you didn't like nick? Looks dead on to me!

Not sure if I've read it or not but what cage is that?

You'll have that going next weekend Nick.

Lol I'd would love to Tony trust me! But got Lemans on thursday and now waiting upon other people to complete work so out of my hands unfortunately!

Will give you a shout regarding what trackdays/test days you'll be doing other the coming months! Will come join you guys in mine hopefully! :)

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 172 ITB
been following this from day one nick! looking epic mate! and i really cant wait to see this back on the road / track! :D

Clio Sport 172 ITB
deffo dude! now i have my v2's whiteline arb oh and took your advice on the rc6 pads... squeel much?!?!? neighbors love me now :D guess next year will have to let you look at my loom :p

What was it you didn't like nick? Looks dead on to me!

Not sure if I've read it or not but what cage is that?

Yeah the colour on the inside looked very different the day I first saw it, but i'm putting that down to the car being very dirty (darker colour) and the light flashing of the inside to make it look lighter than it actually was.

The cage is a custom one made 'in the car' as some call it, a guy called Mike Edwards@ Edwards Motorsport.

Coming along very well mate, like it. Oh and thanks for the name drop... Lol.

You running the rc6 pads?

Cheers! Thought I'd put your name in the frame just incase anyone else was interested in the rear screen. :)

Yeah ill be using the cl rc6 pads more than likely that I've used before, great stopping power that don't kill disks like the pf97's! Plus there reasonably priced!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Yeah the colour on the inside looked very different the day I first saw it, but i'm putting that down to the car being very dirty (darker colour) and the light flashing of the inside to make it look lighter than it actually was.

The cage is a custom one made 'in the car' as some call it, a guy called Mike Edwards@ Edwards Motorsport.

Do you know how much weight the cage has added?

I think the paint looks very nice indeedy!

Do you know how much weight the cage has added?

I think the paint looks very nice indeedy!

Not sure on exact figures as said it was made in the car but the given the fact the cage is all 'CDS' material, its formed as actual steel tube rather than most OMP/other cages which are a lot heavier because they use sheet steel and bend it/weld it into tubing. If you get me? lol

People will probably look at the cage and say its not very thick, it doesnt need to be thick because of the way its formed so its easily strong enough and is also in turn ALOT lighter! The cage doesn't utilise any gussets as my cage sits on the pillars and the cage itself is welded to the body so i've saved weight there, I was also told not to bother with having the doorbar/cross section parts of the cage as there's no benefit, just 'to look good' as the fabricator put it! lol

Will be having the car on a local weighbridge once its all back together, if its under 900kg i'll be very happy!

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers! Thought I'd put your name in the frame just incase anyone else was interested in the rear screen. :)
Yeah ill be using the cl rc6 pads more than likely that I've used before, great stopping power that don't kill disks like the pf97's! Plus there reasonably priced!

thats what i have fitted up to mine but yet to use them yet, can't wait to get back in mine, so many changes have happened since i last drove it... will be like a new car.

Not sure on exact figures as said it was made in the car but the given the fact the cage is all 'CDS' material, its formed as actual steel tube rather than most OMP/other cages which are a lot heavier because they use sheet steel and bend it/weld it into tubing. If you get me? lol
People will probably look at the cage and say its not very thick, it doesnt need to be thick because of the way its formed so its easily strong enough and is also in turn ALOT lighter! The cage doesn't utilise any gussets as my cage sits on the pillars and the cage itself is welded to the body so i've saved weight there, I was also told not to bother with having the doorbar/cross section parts of the cage as there's no benefit, just 'to look good' as the fabricator put it! lol
Will be having the car on a local weighbridge once its all back together, if its under 900kg i'll be very happy!
Cheers
Nick

i think people get a bit lost when it comes to cages, they over-look things, you make some real valid points here, i was looking at the touring cars on tv just a minute ago and was looking at the cage in andrew jordans vectra, that is thin... but thats because it has built strength....
I wanted to go a bitmore to town on mine but i don't see the point, i have a great cage that (hopefully) works, and doesn't weight a crazy amount...

phase 1 172 sport
As long as the cage complies to race regulations i know someone who had a cage fabricated by a so called motorsport development firm and with no certficate or paperwork had to be ripped out and done to regulations of the series he was racing in.

182cup & 172 racecar
Ours has a FIA approved label rivited to it,I'll have a look though the blue book later if I get time.