ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Racecar.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Hope you sort out the electrics out soon nick!

I don't suppose you have pictures of the rear 1/4 plastics bonded in, just give me a bit of help as to how well they can be fitted :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Hope you sort out the electrics out soon nick!

I don't suppose you have pictures of the rear 1/4 plastics bonded in, just give me a bit of help as to how well they can be fitted :)

172 cup, Impreza P1
So it seems things have gone pete tong....

Got a complete untouched interior loom off ebay to try and see if it fixed the problems with the loom I put back in. Seems that it is something much more than the loom thats gone wrong at one point or another, all I got was the same immobiliser fault and when plugged into Fastchip and genuine Renault CLIP software it couldn't even read the ECU :(

Not sure if it related in some way or another but when I had my old Mk1 16v I disconnected the battery and ECU for over a month, then it never started again. Sold it to a mate who looked into it and he had to disable the immobiliser some how and unlock the ECU, not sure if its that easy with the Mk2's though.

So racing has been kicked into touch for the time being, for the money spent putting a new standard ECU + calibration etc etc I may as well go aftermarket so that will take a while to save up and get :(

Nick,

This sounds like the same problem i had. The symptoms of my issue were:

1) car wouldn't start when turning the key (not even try to crank but you would hear relays clicking)
2) when connecting to the ecu port behind the ashtray there was no signal
3) some of the electrics wouldn't work such as hazards, indicators, interior lights, etc

Ended up being a 5v signal wire had snapped between the port and the ecu but there was another couple of broken cables behind the glove box. When I put it into Renault they thought the ecu had gone because they couldnt get a signal but once this issue was fixed they managed to find the other broken cables relatively easily. The biggest problem was my dash was still in and had to be removed but if yours isn't then should be easier.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can help any further.

Cheers,
Steven

Last edited:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Shame you have got issues with it, was looking great when I was down at JMS.

The cage is a work of art.

Nick,

This sounds like the same problem i had. The symptoms of my issue were:

1) car wouldn't start when turning the key (not even try to crank but you would hear relays clicking)
2) when connecting to the ecu port behind the ashtray there was no signal
3) some of the electrics wouldn't work such as hazards, indicators, interior lights, etc

Ended up being a 5v signal wire had snapped between the port and the ecu but there was another couple of broken cables behind the glove box. When I put it into Renault they thought the ecu had gone because they couldnt get a signal but once this issue was fixed they managed to find the other broken cables relatively easily. The biggest problem was my dash was still in and had to be removed but if yours isn't then should be easier.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can help any further.

Cheers,
Steven

Hi there Steve, cheers for the heads up! All my lights ect work so what you've said about the 5v signal wire could be the fix for my woes, going to give an auto electrician a shout in the week and see if they can sort it as like I said its gone a bit to above me all this loom lark!

Shame you have got issues with it, was looking great when I was down at JMS.

The cage is a work of art.

Cheers J, was a proper kick in the balls when it didnt turn over. Like today weather would of been a hot but awesome little drive somewhere! :)

Cage does look good indeed, very happy with the work done!

Nick

TrackCar & F30 330d
Yeah me too Chris! Want to be chasing you round tracks seeing as yours is ready ;)

Yeah will put some pictures up this evening now it's home. Needs a mega clean also!

I'm about 99% finished now :D but i've been rebuilding my car for 12 months now. And you've only had yours off the road for a few months.

Also i dont suppose you have those pictures on you of the rear 1/4 plastics :)

I'm about 99% finished now :D but i've been rebuilding my car for 12 months now. And you've only had yours off the road for a few months.

Also i dont suppose you have those pictures on you of the rear 1/4 plastics :)

Indeed got a few people coming to have a look at sorting the car soonish.

At the mo i've been working silly hours so havent got them pictures yet Chris, still at work now until probably 3am! Will be like this for a few nights so will try and get some up at the weekend after i've given it a little bit of external loving (clean that is!).

Gave it a half arsed clean for the first time in 3 months I think its been today, put the black 2118's on with the R888's also. Still needs a lot of work but slowly coming together, still a few bob to spend though!

11071111.gif

11071110.gif

1107116.gif

1107115.gif

1107114.gif

1107111.gif

1107112.gif

1107113.gif

1107117.gif

1107118.gif

1107119.gif

Cheers
Nick

Looks awesome Nick!!

Have borrowed a multimeter off Sarahs dad btw, he's gonna explain how to test the loom, etc during the week :)

Ah top man! Hopefully we can have a go and see whats going on with the loom!

see why i don't f**k with the looms?

Yeah I know now! :( Was only told what to cut and not to cut but it didnt turn out the right way!

Ah well at least it's an excuse now to have a cleaner, lighter, more reliable setup with an aftermarket ECU and full tailored loom! ;)

are all you south lot/JLS fan club drug dealers/rent boys? where do you all get the money!

Nope, just work hard for a living ;) Tbf it is a lot of money for that, if I could have my standard (adapted) loom sorted and running i'd use that to save time/money/hassle. However I think its more than the loom at there's an immobiliser problem there and no feed to the ECU, plus i've tried a whole new standard interior loom as well!

Lol I do always wonder myself ;)

Have you plugged it into diagnostics yet Nick? New loom tried ?
No feed to pin 30?

Yeah plugged it in to Renault Clip which said a fixed immobiliser fault and there's no feed to the ecu. Tried several decoder rings to no avail also.

Got another interior loom from a 172 cup and still came up with the same results. :(

Havent tried a looking for a feed at pin 30, what does that do?

Cheers
Nick

Golf GTD Mk7
It's most likely there rather than interior loom IMO.
I'm intrigued as to what clip actually said. If there is an immobilizer issue it stops you being able to communicate with the ecu properly giving the assumption there is a problem with it. Did you see the test screens?

It's most likely there rather than interior loom IMO.
I'm intrigued as to what clip actually said. If there is an immobilizer issue it stops you being able to communicate with the ecu properly giving the assumption there is a problem with it. Did you see the test screens?

Ah there we go then! If the immobiliser doesnt let you communicate with the ECU then that would be the reason why you cant look at anything. When it was plugged in it just came up with an immobiliser problem, when they went to see what else they could see they couldn't see anything. Which is why the guys said there wasn't a feed to the ECU, if that makes sense? lol

So how do I go out sorting the immobiliser issue?

Golf GTD Mk7
That's the fun part :S it could be loads of wiring related this, or something simple like a bad earth. Manually earth stuff to rule that out. If you can change the engine loom it might be worth a few hours work to rule out wiring breaks and dodgy connection. Also, the white plug under the engine fuse box can rust up. Few things to try :)

That's the fun part :S it could be loads of wiring related this, or something simple like a bad earth. Manually earth stuff to rule that out. If you can change the engine loom it might be worth a few hours work to rule out wiring breaks and dodgy connection. Also, the white plug under the engine fuse box can rust up. Few things to try :)

Okay, will try and give a few of them a shout and go from there!

Cheers for all your help/info btw! Much appreciated!

Cheers
Nick

Qashcow
I hate vehicle electronics all day long. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Mine still isn't wired 100%, but it just about works as it is. Bodgenering ftw

I hate vehicle electronics all day long. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Mine still isn't wired 100%, but it just about works as it is. Bodgenering ftw

Amen to that matey! Tis a royal pain in the arse!

Haha, JLS fan club, is that suppose to be me!

Nick I build custom looms for race cars, PM me if your interested.

I may well Pm you in the not too distant future Chris if I definately follow the aftermarket management route. If I can fix this standard loom/ecu without too much money then i'll follow that but I can see it costing a lot more to fix than others think!

Qashcow
If you go TDF EC1, I've got my wiring diagrams still. Although mine uses the old loom which will be of NO use to you as yours doesn't work lol

Golf GTD Mk7
ClioECUPinDiagram.jpg

There are two pins which recieve voltage, one before (pin 30) and one after (pin 66) ignition. If the ECU is recieving the correct voltage, and clip is showing all computers except the ECU, i'd be going down the route of a second hand engine loom.

Attachments

• Clio ECU Pin Diagram.JPG
    Clio ECU Pin Diagram.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 59

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Its such a Kick in the balls when its not a simple issue isnt it Nick... I'm sure you have Seen / Heard about my Cups Vibration issues and the ball ache its causing!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Its such a Kick in the balls when its not a simple issue isnt it Nick... I'm sure you have Seen / Heard about my Cups Vibration issues and the ball ache its causing!

Amen to that one. I don't think anything comes close to the ballache caused by a loom problem but I must say Jay, your "vibration" issue tries its hardest to!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Amen to that one. I don't think anything comes close to the ballache caused by a loom problem but I must say Jay, your "vibration" issue tries its hardest to!

More shakes than a Crack ***** going through withdrawl IIRC And to think all these high flyers in BMW's etc pay for Vibrating seats.... Just buy a Cup LOL