ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Racecar.

So after owning the clio for almost 3 years now and getting the trackday bug i'm looking for something a little bit more than trackdays.

After going to watch Jay and Tony (Burpspeed) at the CSCC Tintops i've decided to turn my 172 Cup from a trackday car to a racecar for this competition, as Tom and Ollie (JMS) will be joining it next year also I thought it would be the ideal competition to join with a load of people from here that all get on. What I liked about the tintops is the friendliness between the other teams, and also the fact there very strict on the no contact rule. Something that from what i've heard the Trackday Trophy has a bit of, as well as some of the cars using sequential gearboxes which doesnt make it fair at all.

I've set myself quite a bit of time to get it ready, looking to join the 2013 season. It does seem a long time away but I dont want to have to rush anything so thats the reason for the realistic deadline. It's not to say that it wont be done by next year, but then i'd like to do at least 2-3 (maybe more) trackdays to get properly used to the car. Bearing in mind i'll be building this with my own money for the time being its going to be on a smallish budget, but I still know i'll have to put a fair wedge of money into it.

The plans are pretty basic at first and I have no illusions of even competing with the Burpspeed and JMS Racecars, just being out there having some fun and if I can play with the backmarkers then thats fine with me!

So things needed for the car, pretty much just required things to do racing...

FIA Rollcage
Fire Extinguisher System
Cut off switches
Personal Safety Gear

What I want to do is use the stuff I have at the moment like suspension/current engine spec etc, and if the car is really off the pace then change things and adapt to the new setup then instead of building a whole new car and be all over the place getting used to it when I might not need half the stuff. Here's a list of things i'll want to get over the coming 6-9 months...

Polycarb windows,
3 sets of wheels and tyres (2 dry sets/1 wet set), Unsure of what wheels yet...
Front and rear brakes refreshed,
Wheels bearings done all round,
Cambelt/Aux belt service.

As you can see it's mostly things that are going to make the car reliable from the outset, really the main thing i'm looking for from the racecar.

The cars currently away at JMS having the updated RS-2, whilst its there i'm popping down in the evenings cutting out uneeded brackets etc and preping the car to go to Edwards Motorsport for a full FIA spec weld in cage.

Will pop some pictures up in the following days and try to keep this well documented and updated regularly.

Also if anyone wants a read from when I first got the car, here's the build thread to it being a trackcar. :) http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...72-Cup-From-The-Start!&highlight=nick+172+cup

Cheers
Nick

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The plans are pretty basic at first and I have no illusions of even competing with the Burpspeed and JMS Racecars - unless i can persuade Dave to drive with me at some events anyway!

EFA ;)

Funny you should put this thread up, i was mulling over the costings this morning. Only issue i can see with using a clio, is that you could build a 175bhp itb'd, diff'd, caged saxo weighing 725kg's for half the price, & be able to compete in the 1.6 class instead ...

Last edited:
  330i. E30 Touring.
Awesome.

Any help I can be with bodging bits on to make it go faster, let me know.x

Golf GTD Mk7
so jealous of all you guys :( really wish I could afford the 5-10K per year to run in something like this. Setup costs are worst. I would imagine all the FIA requirements will set you back a few grand. Good luck with it though Nick. Hopefully the build goes well. Who you doing it with?

so jealous of all you guys :( really wish I could afford the 5-10K per year to run in something like this. Setup costs are worst. I would imagine all the FIA requirements will set you back a few grand. Good luck with it though Nick. Hopefully the build goes well. Who you doing it with?

Yeah I've been realistic with what I need and how much it'll cost for the required bits so I should be alright, the biggest chunk of money is the cage really and that's going to start being built Monday coming.

At the moment I havent sorted anyone as a second driver, I've put it to a couple of people I know that can drive better than me but nothing concrete as of yet. Pretty much I just want to build the car myself without other people's money as if things turn sour then it gets a little awkward regarding settling money if that makes sense.

Will just be awesome to be doing something a bit more competitive though! :)

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
very true fella. Trackdays, although fun, I can imagine become a bit tiresome after while. Competition sorts that right out. :D

suspension will be the other cost (unless you're running a decent set atm).

very true fella. Trackdays, although fun, I can imagine become a bit tiresome after while. Competition sorts that right out. :D

suspension will be the other cost (unless you're running a decent set atm).

Well... Currently using FK Konigsports, which I know probably arent great for racing and i'm probably going to need better suspension but i'm interested to see the difference in laps times between the setup im using and the AST setup that Burpspeed are using (56.7sec lap at Brands I think there's from memory with a ATB Dif.). If i'm considerably slower than that then i'll have to sort suspension also.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Awesome mate, living the dream, those little beasts were build for throwing aroudn the track. Look how much fun Porkie had in his!

Looking forward to the updates dude.

172 Race Car
Well... Currently using FK Konigsports, which I know probably arent great for racing and i'm probably going to need better suspension but i'm interested to see the difference in laps times between the setup im using and the AST setup that Burpspeed are using (56.7sec lap at Brands I think there's from memory with a ATB Dif.). If i'm considerably slower than that then i'll have to sort suspension also.
Got to remember ours handled s**t at the weekend.

Great to see a few Clios creeping into UK Club Racing. I've seen most series in the past 5 years and there are very few Clios...I'm guessing they are inherently uncompetitive in most series due to the relatively large capacity and high cost of extracting much more power within the regulations?

Looking forward to watching another build thread anyway, shame the CSCC doesn't come down to the South West, I'm sure Combe would love to have another popular tin top series, and it would easily be the largest number of spectators you would see all season.

172 Race Car
shame the CSCC doesn't come down to the South West, I'm sure Combe would love to have another popular tin top series, and it would easily be the largest number of spectators you would see all season.
Rumored we will be there next season. CSCC ran the Marcos race at Combe back in April

182cup & 172 racecar
Nick,told you track days get a bit boring after a while.It's not all about going round and around all day,as you saw the day does go fairly quickly.
Dave does have point though.

It will be like the clio cup soon,should be fun.

172 Race Car
cars with sequential boxes go up 2 classes in TDT, so its kind of fair.

Cage, extinquisher, set of new harness, battery cutout, licence. Can get that all done for next season easy mate ;)

I know the ideal team mate for you too

Interesting stuff. We'll always support you with ramps tools, engine work, place to work on the car for a few beer tokens. :)

lol! There is a lot more work that goes into making a race car, having helped Jay and Tony a few times I should know! Working all day, then stepping back and realising you havent actually done much! And even trivial things that turn into major jobs that take all day!

It is good fun to be involved with Burpspeed, but having seen some of the stressful times and even feeling nervous myself and I'm only taking photos, I don't think I could do it.

Totally agree with you Dan, this week and a little bit last i've been taking any uneeded brackets out of the car in the evenings after work and started on cutting down the loom. I look back and it looks like i've done nothing however in the end its all for a good cause! :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
I'm looking at doing exactly the same thing with mine :) as much as I'd like to think I'll have it ready by 2012, we'll have to wait and see....
Could be very helpful that you're local to me though!

182cup & 172 racecar
If we totalled ours,that 106 would be the sort of thing to be the replacement.

But I can understand how Nick feels,he's gone so far it's not worth turning back,just don't get carried away with it.

Why 2013,you could even get it ready for Snett at the end of the year or before.

BMW Z4
Racing. Its life. Everything in between is just waiting. ;)

So it looks like we could potentially have a right little fleet of Clio's in the TT's over the next couple of years! I really hope it happens as it would be a pretty awesome to be racing against a load of friends in similar equipment.
So will we see a Nick & Dave driver pairing? Come on Dave....its your destiny.

I will be racing in TT

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Jack, you're not too far from me, so would be interested to see how you progress with yours. My phase 1 is well on it's way to being track and possibly race prep'd.

Regarding the comments on the 106/Saxo, I agree they are cheaper to build and maintain, as well as handle great, but every one i've driven i just feel like i've stepped into a car that's been designed for midgets. The pedal box is awful IMO and I just never really enjoyed driving them. Clio wins hands down for me, even if it does set you back a few more pennies.

Nick, would like some update on the progress of your cage prep :)

clio 182
Instead of a project section, we will soon need a 'motorsport build' section on here!

its brilliant to see so much clio's entering, and for people like me who are a few years away from competion its good reading all the modifications, tips, help and advice given in these threads!

Good luck and i will keep an eye on this!

Righty so dont take this the wrong way, but I had a little bit of a clearup as it did turn into a what racecar to build/buy thread. It's for certaint that i'll be building the clio into a racecar and thats it, also tbf with the amount of interest shown into racing someone should open up a thread for one but not in here please! :)

Anyways the update...

Been down a JMS HQ pretty much every night for the last week and a bit preping the car to go to the Rollcage Fabricators. Suprising how much time it takes to get it all sorted and ready, though tbf I have been a bit lazy/tired from work so wasnt thrashing it out! Anyways some pictures from throughout the week...

So the start of things, havent got any pictures of all the brackets etc I took out. Took a few big ones out but there is more to do once the cage has been put in.

050511.jpg

Dash out and labelled up loom for 'trimming and thinning out'

1205111.jpg

1205113.jpg

1205112.jpg

Unneeded brakets/bit of loom so far...

1205114.jpg

Windows out.

1405111.jpg

1405112.jpg

More crap!

1405114.jpg

All loom, seats, windows, doors and bootlid out and ready to head over to the Fabricators.

1405117.jpg

1405116.jpg

1405115.jpg

Getting a little bit excited now, always wanted a cage in any of the previous cars i've had so roll on 2 weeks when she'll be done! :)

Cheers
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
So another Update...

Started on thinning out the interior loom this evening starting from the rear of the car, not too hard of a job really just being patient instead of being chop happy makes things easier in the long run!

The start...

1605111.jpg

Came across this 3 times in just the rear part of the loom, Renault are pikey as f**k! Just a bit of tape over them as well!

1605112.jpg

The rear loom finished for this evening, much tidier and surpised how much you can shift and i've been pretty sensible!

1605113.jpg

And the scrap from just this evenings work!

1605114.jpg

I'm just doing a little bit a night with the loom, pretty relaxing tbh though to be fair being a Fibre Optic Jointer I untangle and mess about with Fibre in a similar way but less than half the size normally so this is pretty easy!

Cheers
Nick

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Impressive stuff mate, working on the wiring frankly scares the hell out of me :)

I hear the car went off for the cage today?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Don't know if I could do the wiring stuff. Think I'd get bored and start cutting the wrong cables.

As above, are you working to wiring diagrams or off the cuff?

Cheers, not following any wiring diagrams at all. Before I took the loom out I just labelled every plug/wire in the car and things like sterio/boot loom/airbag wiring+pretensioners etc etc can go. Anything to do with the clocks/lights/stalks/engine are all being left, just being careful to trace every wire to where they go before I cut them incase they run to something important! lol

Chris - Yeah the car went to the fabricators today! Will be getting some pictures along the way of the build, not millions as I dont want to bother the guy too much!

Cheers
Nick