ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v clios are amazin!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
EvilJohn said:
Hate to worry you but if it started straight away its nowt to dith petrol. When you fill up the old petrol is still in the lines and it'll take a wee bit before the new stuff comes through

yeah suppose, think it could possibly be the battery, as it seems to just be taking longer to fire up as if the battery isnt turning the starter like it used to.

Monaro VXR
My little 1.2 was a good car for what it was handled well etc. Could not go back to it though and it is a bit gutless when overtaking number of times i get stuck behind a bus on snakes pass and just could not get past as i did not have the power to get up the rather large hills and accelerate past a bus. New car not a problem just sails past.

But i do miss the chuckability of the clio new one grips more corners flatter etc but its a bigger car just not as much fun to hurl around.

Renault Clio 05' 1.2 16v
I've got my 1.2 16v clio and on average i can get about 75 more miles off a full tank than my m8 in his corsa c 1.2 16v.

Clio all the way lol

my lil 1.2 16v Dynamique on a (54)
totally standard ( no A/c) i got windows
(no electric sun roof, just a pop-up one):

16valves sound slightly noisier than 8 when cold, but after a mile it's up to almost running temp, & nice n' quiet.

out runs standard 1.2 75 bhp Punto's * we seem to have a lot of them around here* just handles a little bit better on the "B" roads ;)

able to hit the Rev limiter in 1,2,3,4 gears but not 5th ( the road never seems long enough)

Overtaking: ok can be a bit nasty, but my personal advice is, dont do it unless you have room * dont argue with anything made from more metal than you are, 3rd gear will crank you up to 80 before you hit the limiter & if you need to slow down in a hurry,3rd will bring you down from 80 also, without the engine sounding horrid or over rev'ed also without your front end giving you a nudge, also stay on 4th as long as you can especially when arguing with something weighin 40ton's, 30feet long & trying to keep you from over taking.

Treat the throttle gently ( not an on / off button)

Momentum!, Momentum!, smooth Momentum!. & about 3600 rpm is a sweet point to be.

MPG wise for mine:
50/52 Mpg, driving @ 55Mph on average.
47/49 Mpg driving @ 60-70Mph on a run
44/46 Mpg driving @ 90Mph over an 8ml clear section while going to work.
37Mpg on average in town & waiting in traffic using 1st 2nd & 3rd gears mostly.
does return about 52+ mpg @ a steady 45mph in 5th gear.

with driving to work etc it returns about 530mls to a tank on average give or take a little.

runs good on either 95 octane or 98, peeps check ya filler caps it runs sweet on both. but i mostly put 1 tank of VP in for every 3 tanks of standard 95 oct fuel.

all in all, its small, cost new 9000 compaired with a Fiat pug 1.2 which at the time was about 7500. a Fiesta or Corsa are cheaper.

errrhm Why did i buy one!
couldnt afford a Cup @ the time, & driving 50 mls a day to work N' back the MPG's played a small role, & I like to be different & didnt want dci.

It has an hmm understated style about it which puts a confused expression on some peoples faces, so can ya fault the little puddle jumper, nah, its all good & a lot of fun.

just wish all that plastic was a little more ehm arh whats the word Arh ! "quiet".

:)

Last edited:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
ChrisE said:
My Billabong 1.2 16v got a right hammering...!! lol

Good car tho...!

wasn't a 03 plate one was it?? ye03 **v??

Martin_89 said:
fuk me, learn me to drive please im only getting 320-350 miles to a tank

lol yeah took me a little to work it out considering i had been driving a 2.0 for a while. 1.2's are sweet, just need to be light on the throttle.
"ease off when you dont need to be on" :star:

town driving dont use 5th below 35/38mph ( 1.2's 5th @ 25mph+ with no chuggin) torque lil things aint they). use 5th from 35/38mph & up when needed. 1.2 sweet point is @ about 45mph in 5th with a light touch to the throttle.(50.0+ mpg)

keep ya first gear under 2500 rpm let the other gears do the work.
keep all ya gears under 2750 rpm & 5th at 3000 you'll do a steady 60mph
& average 49.9+mpg in a 1.2 16vDynamique

lol how to drive like me granny. Woot!:quiet:

Clio Campus sport
yup 1.2 16v's are fun to drive.
i was having a little fun with a chaved up 1.4 golf on friday night on the way back from the m1. he'd pull away slightly on the straights cos i wasnt driving too hard (i've only got 750 miles on the clock, i dont want to fook the engine) but on the roundabouts and bends i had to slow down for fear of hitting him cos he couldnt take the corners as fast as the little clio.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Our 13 year old 1.2 fidji is quite nippy for a runabout. I think she is pretty good on fuel too although I don't know how many mpg she does as we haven't taken that much notice of it to be honest. We went and spent £90 yesterday on new leads, plugs, distributor cap, air filter and new wheel trims. Thought we had better do it before the winter sets in.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Be reasonable?1.2 16v clio is an expensive nail!!!u talk utter s**t the lot of u!all u do is argue!bummers!

yeah , they expensive to buy for a small "CC" when other manufactures give a better spec for cheaper, , but if ya get a good one, they are pretty inexpensive to run, just like the other manufactures, insurance group 3 if ya lucky, & ok for peeps who cant afford a 197, or a 172, they are just a fun little run around, :)

Last edited:
  mini cooper (RIP 172)
My girlfriends got a 1.2 16v! i loved it so much a got a 172, just think its a bit more manly...

nah, with mine its the illusion of speed provided by my exhaust!!! ;)

U are my new best friend. I put a thread up a while ago about 1.2 16v clios being brilliant and few people took me seriously.

If driven well they can be extremely good fun to drive. I totally agree with you, thier ace.

1.2 16v Dynamique.
I love my 1.2 16v! Only got a BMC competition air filter in it but it really goes for a small engine. Picks up through the gears well too, espaecially if you dont lift off the gas when changing up. Plan on lowering it a little (35mm), putting an induction kit on it and some side skirts would make it look a little better too. Great fun! Great car!

1.2 16v Dynamique.
I love my 1.2 16v! Only got a BMC competition air filter in it but it really goes for a small engine. Picks up through the gears well too, espaecially if you dont lift off the gas when changing up. Plan on lowering it a little (35mm), putting an induction kit on it and some side skirts would make it look a little better too. Great fun! Great car! :D

LY V6 with Recaros
I drive the other halfs 1.2 on a regular basis, they do feel quite nippy around town, but overtaking on motorways, and trying to accelerate up to faster speeds on dual carrageways is hard work! Usually gets around 40.1 miles to the gallon though, which is better than my 182!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i get about 320ish, but dont do too much pointless driving anymore!00+

most ive had is 600+, thats on a run to Cumbria!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
they are!

i know people with 172/182's probably wont realise, but 1.2's are awesome cars, fair enough they maybe slower, but just means more fun can be had to the speedlimit, i love taking my car right to the high rev range, and i know that all the way through third im still pretty much legal, whereas a 172/182 are there much faster then just sat there cruising!

personally i like working hard when im driving, the sports are awesome cars, theres no denying that, but because they are so good they can be driven fairly fast easily because of the grip and power, where as 1.2's have to be hammered, and concentrated on alot more, which personally is what i love!

i want a 182, but for the reasons above i dont at the same time, who cares if they are slow, they look good, fun to drive, cheapish to run and affordable!

this is all my opinion by the way, just thought id give people an insight to the 1.2's!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
after being in a couple of 172s and 182s i wouldnt swap my 1.2 for one as i dont consider it the better car, only faster. maby if i was in a heavily modified one like my 1.2 16v then i might change my mind but none of them gripped, stopped, or felt as planted as mine does.

the standard ride height ones ive been in felt like i was in a van, and although they handled well considering the ride quality they didnt feel too planted!

for the record before everyone starts trying to argue with me here im not compairing 172s and 182s to 1.2s, im compairing them to MY car which has had a lot spent on it.

H22A7 Accord Type R
lol at what this thread has turned into!!!! ;)

FREDnROBFCS.jpg