ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 sprint & hillclimb car

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Hi Thanks , no I have quaife as when I wanted a gripper they were 8 week delivery and I also use it everyday so the Quaife suited me better.

Nice one Colin, wish I could have come across to spectate mate, well done on the win you'll fly next week at 3 Sisters should see you there, vid looks good. F**k me 9-5 MPG you sure you've not got ITB's hidden ;)

182cup & 172 racecar
Did you like the feel of the diff then Colin,it does make a difference doesn't it.You'll go faster when you get the hang of it,I can see that from watching the vid.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Yes the diff makes a big difference as it cuts the understeer, where with an open diff you need to lift off or go off lol it helps pull you round the corner.

Need to adjust to it a bit more as Aintree is flat out, we are at 3 sisters on sunday which is very tight with a lot of hairpins and a long 3 corner in one bend !

Looking forward to a wet event at some point :)

Clio 172
Great vid's and results the diff's really make a difference.

What clutch are you using with your new gearbox?.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Just using standard valeo clutch and plate as it's got no power to speak of lol

At 3 sisters tommorrow , weather looks superb and will be a good test of the diff as it's a tight circuit.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
We were at 3 sisters on sunday which was a fab day both the weather and the car ! I am slowly getting to grips with the diff and managed to improve on last years time in similar weather.
My best last year was 54.09 this year was 52.68 which is a big improvement in this game although it was "only" good enough for 2nd (52.41 in the 5gtt).

I think that my car is way too soft now see pics.

DSC_0012.gif

A few more from the day.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

A Dallara who did a 41.95 for BTD (quickest !!)

DSC_0130.jpg

And the best by far this Mini :approve:

DSC_0033.jpg

And a quick video

Last edited by a moderator:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Ok my next event is Harewood hillclimb in Yorkshire not too far from Leeds, I have 2 spare tickets for Sunday 28th so you can get in free!!
Just drop me a pm (today) and I'll post them!
After Harewood I am at Aintree 3rd sept and 3 Sisters on the 10th sept then off to Anglesey 8-9th Oct for the last event of the season :-(

Ok my next event is Harewood hillclimb in Yorkshire not too far from Leeds, I have 2 spare tickets for Sunday 28th so you can get in free!!
Just drop me a pm (today) and I'll post them!
After Harewood I am at Aintree 3rd sept and 3 Sisters on the 10th sept then off to Anglesey 8-9th Oct for the last event of the season :-(
I read through your Project last night and love the car, it seems really competitive! I coming to Harewood at the weekend as i'm trying to get clued up as I'm entering next year in the Modified class with my 182. If you dont mind sending me 1 ticket over I'd really appreciate it and am more than happy to give you some money for it :) Also if I can pick your brains on the day it would be great!!

Good luck Sunday Colin, hope the weather holds, I would have come across but I'm working Sat and Sunday,under 70s I reckon:race:

regards Russ..........

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Good luck Sunday Colin, hope the weather holds, I would have come across but I'm working Sat and Sunday,under 70s I reckon:race:

regards Russ..........

Better had be otherwise it will be another race Clio in the classifieds :evil:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Robert Smith Tamworth Peugeot 205GTi 1900cc D NSCC E
16 John Earley Bootle Renault Clio 2000cc A LMC N
17 Douglas Gorge Liverpool Renault Clio Sport Cup 1998cc LMC N
18 Russell Thorpe St Annes Renault 5 GT Turbo 1400ccT A K LMC L&DMC E
19 Simon Bingham Preston Ford Capri 1993cc A LMC E
20 John Allen Belper Peugeot 205GTi 1900cc D NSCC E
21 Steve Price Bolton Subaru Impreza 1994cc A E LMC BleMCC E
22 Colin Smith Manchester Renault Clio 172 1998cc K L&DMC E

23 Robert Holt Manchester Lotus Elise 1800cc A K LMC N

24 Tim Burrill Stoke Golding Peugeot 205GTi 1900cc D NSCC E
Class 1E

Sounds like he's had a good day from the text I received, I'll leave it to him to post John^^^I hope he had the camera in?

Regards Russ

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Very quick update....the Clio isnt up for sale :D.
Very long day and only 4 runs due to accidents but managed a 69.82 beating my best time of 71.71 secs, very pleased and can see a bit more time to come from the videos.
Heres the new paint and engine mods.

DSC_0825.jpg

DSC_0830.jpg

I struggled with over steer all day today and the guys running this had a right handfull with it, the best time I think they did was a 73 second run...

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
No sold it ages ago, It was a cold day and with waiting around between runs the Tyres are stone cold and even at the end of the run the rears are still cold.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
1st practice video , loads of oversteer ending in the kitty litter !

Best run but still loads of room for improvement.

Ouch , hit the flappers right at the end leaving some more battle scars

Last edited by a moderator: