ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.4 - attempts to start only when I jiggle the relay starter

Astra, CMax.
Hi!

Trying to help a neighbor get her Clio going (2005, 1.4 16v, Mark 3). She had decided to sell it for scrap value. Pity, because the interior and body are quite good.

She said it is not revving and won't go up hills. So I suspect dirty throttle body or something like a coil pack sending it into limp mode.

Car has been sitting for 6 months or more: Won't start.

Took the battery out and charged it. It's showing 12v plus but I actually think it's on it's last legs (see below).

I turn the key and all the dash lights come on. But not even a clicking sound from the starter. I can here the pump prime and a relay click near the cabin fuse box.

Tried using my NocoBoost but it clicks continuously - suggesting a weak battery.

I have confirmed that relevant fuses and the starter relay in the engine bay are good,

Heres' the weird thing: while jiggling the starter relay to remove it (as I wanted to put in a "known to be good" relay) the engine started to turn over!! I had left the key in position 2.

Jiggle again, engine stops. Jiggle some more, engine turns over slowly but will not start (probably because battery is too weak).

Here's what I'm thinking: Clean up the relay are with contact cleaner. Then try and jump start it. If that doesn't work try a new battery in it.

Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions? I'm especially keen to know why it would turn over in the way I just described. Very strange.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Fresh battery, fit a jump lead from the neg Terminal to a good bit of chassis metal to create a new earth and rule out the gearbox earth strap and go from there

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
Another vote for everything Martin_172 said.

Those relays under the bonnet can be in the direct firing line for water ingress if the seals around the box are not good, so worth reseating/cleaning if it still doesn't start.

Unless the existing battery can hold 12.6V overnight after charging, I would certainly use a better battery.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yup had an intermittent issue with the relay recently. I’ve cleaned with electric contact cleaner the white plug etc and seems fine. I simply don’t use the car which I really need to, or just sell it.