ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 sprint & hillclimb car

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Ok fellas

I have started to work on my car for next years motorsport season so I have started a blog, theres not much in it but all that will change over the next few weeks.
If you dont know what hills and sprints are I will put something in the blog when I get time.
One thing I have noticed is alot of peeps seem to be buying these for track work especially silver ones, so not to spoil the party so's mine :)

http://w193tfvhillclimbcar.blogspot.com

Attachments

• DSC_0688.JPG
    DSC_0688.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 226

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Will keep an eye on this :)

Most Ph1's are silver!
Ah that will be why then! Sort of stumbled on a phase 1 as I was after a cup but then realised I would be removing the aircon abs and most of the trim so saved myself a grand or so and will end up with a lighter car.

172 Race Car
As said before, I will help anyway I can with any advice you need. Should make a really good Hill car.

keep this thread up to date Colin, be good to see how you progress ;)

If your still interested in those parts let me know.

Chris

Clio 182 Trophy
Ah that will be why then! Sort of stumbled on a phase 1 as I was after a cup but then realised I would be removing the aircon abs and most of the trim so saved myself a grand or so and will end up with a lighter car.

Colin I bet you cant get it lighter than Chris's ;)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Added a bit more info to the blog and lots more coming as I am splashing plenty of cash at the moment ;)

As low as possible , what have you got and is it the bolt on or press on type?

Thanks

according to my records it's a 4.83, bolt on. I had the box built with the gripper for my hillclimb car and blew the box after 10 miles, it's sat in the garage where I threw it in disgust.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
according to my records it's a 4.83, bolt on. I had the box built with the gripper for my hillclimb car and blew the box after 10 miles, it's sat in the garage where I threw it in disgust.

That doesn't sound promising for my box?
Do you still have the diff aswell ?

Where did you use your car at and what did you have done to it, would be very interesting.
Cheers

Can pm if you prefer.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
We used to run a gripper diff in a 5 speed dog box, and we lunched the diff twice, the 2nd time it broke up and found its way into the bellhousing, which munched a twin plate paddle clutch and billet flywheel:mad: All of which are also sat in the back on the garage after being thrown there!

That doesn't sound promising for my box?
Do you still have the diff aswell ?

Where did you use your car at and what did you have done to it, would be very interesting.
Cheers

Can pm if you prefer.

yeah, the complete box is there.

Competed in the National rounds at Gurston, Prescott, Loton, Shelsley, and Harewood, plus the odd pot hunting expedition to Curborough. It's a Mod Prod Saloon.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Anyone else using these diff's had problems with them?

Don't want to spend 2k on a duff product that's going to take the box with it!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
We used to run a gripper diff in a 5 speed dog box, and we lunched the diff twice, the 2nd time it broke up and found its way into the bellhousing, which munched a twin plate paddle clutch and billet flywheel:mad: All of which are also sat in the back on the garage after being thrown there!

How long ago was this as I have been told the early ones suffered with poor quality control which has now been resolved !?

How long ago was this as I have been told the early ones suffered with poor quality control which has now been resolved !?

2006, as far as I know the diff was Ok, just the box grenaded. If you're interested in buying I think I'd like to return the box to Coventry to have the experts strip and inspect it, then go from there.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
2006, as far as I know the diff was Ok, just the box grenaded. If you're interested in buying I think I'd like to return the box to Coventry to have the experts strip and inspect it, then go from there.
Could be possible as my budget is rapidly disappearing :dapprove:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Oh ! Any idea what or where I can find info on gearbox ratios and final drives for an early phase 1 box.
Cheers

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Small update with event dates and a few more mods.
Cage going in this week I will update when finished.

172 Race Car
Good luck with the events mate. We should be at silversone for the RS day too.

ECU relocation looks very neat, good job

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
See you there then!
Re ecu didn't think that moving it under the seat was worth all the hassle/gain.
Also thought it may pose problems at scruteneering as negative for battery would have to loop out from under seat, just need to fit a yellow cable around airfeed pipes so it's easy to find.
How's yours coming along?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Sorry just noticed your post, I will get one at some point but have not been able to fit it in with my shifts and their workload.
I will try again in the summer if they haven't had a ph1 in as I will have more time.
But I have just fitted a used K-tec stealth for the time being.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Blog updated with Safety Devices rear cage and APD matched inlets.

1st event on saturday at Cadwell park, cant wait!

Good work

Are you going to be at Three Sisters on the 18th April? Il probably come and have a gander if so, only round the corner from me...