ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

Re: 'Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc'

@mark123 - cheers mate, you'll have to join us when the new engine goes in in January if you're free. I'll PM you when the date is sorted. :)

How is the racecar? You racing next year?

I will do mate.

Racecar has not really been touched since the last time I saw you lol.

Planning on cracking on with it in January, been decorating this month. Defo racing next year, don't have a plan yet.

182cup & 172 racecar

I will do mate.

Racecar has not really been touched since the last time I saw you lol.

Planning on cracking on with it in January, been decorating this month. Defo racing next year, don't have a plan yet.

Join us ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Update time again.

Been busy over the christmas period, and I have lots of thanks for people. This place is genuinely awesome in terms of the support you get from decent members. So...

First up, @NorthloopCup Thanks Mark! He has kindly given me the contact details for a friend of his who has assisted with a good price from Gripper to do the maintenance on the diff. So the gearbox went up to Coventry to Gripper and I await for its return.

Next, @Michael Woodford MST . Absolute hero, Mike popped over a week or so ago to do me a favour which I appreciate. Couldn't compression test the engine due to my **** up, but he did help me a lot in terms of the ABS problem I have been having and we had a very interesting discussion about supercharging :) Unfortunately he is stacked with work until after Bedford so up steps....

@Dan@SJM - had a chat with Dan and he has agreed (for quite frankly a ridiculously nominal fee) to head over to mine to compression test the new engine, fit the Cup brake setup (resolving the ABS problem) and then use CLiP to sort any remaining issues / sender issues from the brake set up swap. Appreciate it bud, and i'll PM you a time when the gearbox is back.

@Budgie and @Nick172Cup - what would I do without you two muppets! Thanks for the continued support, roll on 'casa del cub' meet number 2!

Lastly, @Rob - who has kindly sorted me out with a local powdercoater. Legend. I'll let the frankly poor pictures do the talking, but I am made up with the finish and can't wait to get it back together.

In addition to the above, i've ordered some Samco hoses and a M.A.D battery cover. So..when these all turn up, and after Dan has been, its going to be engine re-assembly time. Cannot wait to get the flamer back on the road. The only negative, has been cancelling Bedford in Feb, which I am gutted about :( Work is crazy at the moment, and despite @Chip-mk1 's very kind offers, its not going to be back on the road before then as I also need to insure it and get it past an MOT (it has a cracked windscreen aswell, so will need to swap that). The combination of those things means financially its not going to be back on the road until March probably.

Photos of powdercoated bits and bobs :)

WrappedGoodies_zps6feb8878.jpg

UnwrappedGoodies_zps73d134f3.jpg

CambeltCoverPainted_zps7e0a0fce.jpg

UpperInletPainted_zps038b91cb.jpg

LowerInletPainted_zpsc0c68b87.jpg

Progress is being made :)

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Is that Steve who is sorting your box, the guy I was on about when I came round?

shame about Bedford. You still coming along though I hope?

powder coat is a good choice. Nice and easy to keep looking clean.

Looks good Ollie. I actually managed to tidy my garage to the point where the car now no longer stops me opening my tool box lol. Hoping to make some progress now...

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1

Looks like your gathering pace. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Hoping one day to boost mine but house and boys have to come first

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Have you been able to identify the actual cause of the ABS fault now Oli?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

MMMMMMMMMulti-quote bonus points ;)

Is that Steve who is sorting your box, the guy I was on about when I came round?

shame about Bedford. You still coming along though I hope?

powder coat is a good choice. Nice and easy to keep looking clean.

It is Steve who you were discussing, top bloke! :) I will try and get along to Bedford, as it would be good to see you all, but work at the moment is crazy as there are lots of bids coming out, meaning I am having to sacrifice some of my weekends to work. Yep, when Rob said he could sort me out with a Powdercoater, was a no brainer as opposed to me painting it.

Looks good Ollie. I actually managed to tidy my garage to the point where the car now no longer stops me opening my tool box lol. Hoping to make some progress now...

Lol! What are you doing with yours?

Looks like your gathering pace. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Hoping one day to boost mine but house and boys have to come first

Cheers Paul, boosting won't happen until end of the year / early next year but from speaking to Mike it's confirmed my wish to supercharge it and not turbo / ITB it.

Great stuff Oli :) look forward to bumping into you I'm sure at a trackday this year!

Definitely bud, although I'm hoping we won't 'bump' into each other a la you and the Hunter ;)

Shiney bits don't impress me much. But I can wait. ;)

Speak of the devil. I can understand the shiny bits being pointless, but my mild 'tart streak' wouldn't let me put it all back together without it looking / being nice and clean and tidy :) You are on BBQ duty at the engine install weekend! How did yours go? You updated the Burpspeed thread?

Have you been able to identify the actual cause of the ABS fault now Oli?

Haven't identified it at all, Mike had a look and couldn't find anything obvious Mick, and thinks it's the ABS unit (ECU or Pump) itself which considering cost made as much as sense to swap to a cup setup. Got a great deal from a guy on here for all the parts for the Cup setup and I'd prefer the non-ABS setup anyway given this is getting more to be purely a track day / sunny day car. Speaking with Dan we need to put your good self (CLiP Yoda) on standby for when we programme it ;)

Inferno 225 cup

Yes Cubster!!! Yessss!!!

Through the pm's we've Been sending, your plans sound solid for this car.

Let me know when casa del club 2 is and il shiny shiny the car for you. ;) x

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Good work Cub, coming along nicely. :)

Powder coating FTW!! :approve:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Good news Oli. Shiney bits look nice :)

Oh and going back a few pages, are you Fletcher's inspiration? ;)

Cheers Mark, and yep, I was rocking the Hobo beard back at Le Mans and some time ago. I like to think Fletch was inspired my good self. His is ridiculously epic though!

Yes Cubster!!! Yessss!!!

Through the pm's we've Been sending, your plans sound solid for this car.

Let me know when casa del club 2 is and il shiny shiny the car for you. ;) x

Thanks Jacob, I'll let you know on the second meet - beard off! :)

Good work Cub, coming along nicely. :)

Powder coating FTW!! :approve:

I knew you'd be a fan Scott! Ha ha!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Flol, you know me to well...:eek:

Don't see the point in rubbing rusty bit's down and painting for it not to last.

Shot blast, prime and coat. Job done!! :approve:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Bodies, ditch std electrics, wrap plus various other minor bits.

When I built it originally I did the minimum needed to comply with the MSA safety regs for racing. Now I'm making it a bit more race focused.

Oooh. That sounds great. Which bodies, standalone ECU and wrap colour you going for?

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1

Be interested to hear yours and Mikes views over supercharging vs turbo as I was always favoring a turbo similar to the one that's now chips ph1.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Bodies, ditch std electrics, wrap plus various other minor bits.

When I built it originally I did the minimum needed to comply with the MSA safety regs for racing. Now I'm making it a bit more race focused.

Mark if you want a had with this let me know as I'm looking at making a few wiring loom options for people at the minute and I'm just about to get teeth in to the schematic stages.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Be interested to hear yours and Mikes views over supercharging vs turbo as I was always favoring a turbo similar to the one that's now chips ph1.

More than happy to discuss when we catch up bud. Put it like this, Chips is a monster, but for less cost and more reliability I'd rather sacrifice 30 or so bhp. I'm looking for a usable 250-270bhp which I can get from a supercharger and hopefully spend less time building new engines / changing gearboxes :) Lol - it's ok for chip - he can build an engine up and sling it in. I reckon the Budgie may be annoyed swapping mine all the time ;)

If you'll be around when I come up mate, chuck me a few extra quid and I'll bring the supercharged one for you to have a play with :)

That would be awesome, how much more coin? Be well worth it and I'd like to pick your brain on the charging as a whole Dan mate. :)

Decent update Bear.

Just you wait my furry little chum, good times ahead!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Downside to the charger is that the charger itself is expensive to rebuild, but Im sure you will be happy to just budget for a new one every couple of years and at least its easy to get in and out etc.
Turbo is cheaper to rebuild but harder to get in and out, also potential for heat issues are higher.

I like both, and would happily have either, but I think for the power you are talking about of 250-270 the charger is a particularly good option, especially if wanting to keep the torque modest to allow a basic spec engine to be used, a good standard lump and then fit a megane gasket and a new belt as its on the way in is sufficient for that power, if using a turbo the only advantage really is you could have a lot more torque in the midrange but then you kill the rods so need a better spec engine to really capitalise on the advantages.

Oooh. That sounds great. Which bodies, standalone ECU and wrap colour you going for?

Bodies a ktec, ecu is omex - second hand off another clio. Going for matt black...

Mark if you want a had with this let me know as I'm looking at making a few wiring loom options for people at the minute and I'm just about to get teeth in to the schematic stages.

Thanks for the offer Mick. I bought it second hand and it came with a loom so hopefully it won't need much work...