ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Re: 'Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc'

The Russian. Glad you got your gripper, just need to get it fitted. Yep a good turnout at mine expected with the transformation from broken car to running car the main event of the day lol!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

More stuff arrived today, and I sorted my insurance through Greenlight at a great price. So a good day :)

ITG Induction / Filter cleaning kit from Merlin Motorsport;

FilterKit_zps23a18832.jpg

FuchsTitan Race Pro S Oil, gearbox oil for the Gripper and LSD additive all from @oilman at Opie Oils :)

Oil_zps97bacdc7.jpg

gearboxoil_zps505bd40e.jpg

LSDAdditive_zpsde4d24d2.jpg

And a modified alloy accelerator pedal created by @NorthloopCup , to assist with Heel / Toe'ing. I believe he is putting these into fabrication so PM him if you want one :) @The Russian. @MicKPM @Nick172Cup Fletcher. @Tim.

Pedal_zpsf871c672.jpg

Inferno 225 cup

The pedal looks good, northloop is a really great bloke.

it's all coming together now mate :)

Is that LSD oil necessary? If so il order some.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep

Your feet aren't big enough to do it without the extension ?

Looks good though. Coming together nicely, will we see you at SRR in the Micra love waggon ?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

The pedal looks good, northloop is a really great bloke.

it's all coming together now mate :)

Is that LSD oil necessary? If so il order some.

Yep, running out of space to store parts - lol! Secured a PMS Stud kit today aswell! Speaking to Tim at Opie he recommends it mate, and from doing some reading around it seems to help bedding it in. It wasn't pricey, £15, so I thought i'd give it a whirl.

I like that pedal, I'll definitely be in touch with Mr @NorthloopCup

Mark is a top bloke, knows his stuff and is looking to bring some stuff out that is good for plenty of us CS folk. It's a shame he is a mincer @NorthloopCup

Your feet aren't big enough to do it without the extension ?

Looks good though. Coming together nicely, will we see you at SRR in the Micra love waggon ?

Lol! Size 12, but every little helps as my technique isn't really very good at the moment :eek:

I'm in the Lakes this weekend matey, so no SRR for me sadly. Have fun, you running the PB??

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Right. So without me spaming your thread to much Cub, whats the pros and cons between the Gripper and the Quaife?

How much looking after/maintence does the Gripper need?

Why a Gripper over the Quaife?

I feel left out. :(

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Phase1sr No worries bud, not spam at all! Both diffs will make a noticeable difference both on road and more so on track. They let you put power down much quicker out of bends and prevent the wheels losing grip when putting that power down. IMO they are a must if you intend on running bigger power, to else you have more power but can't put it down. Even on standard power the diff will improve grip / putting power down. Both are similarly priced, although @NorthloopCup can source both cheaper I believe.

Gripper is a plated diff, so if one wheel loses drive it will still put power through the other wheel. Con of this is it needs maintenance, which is box out. The maintenance is only £85 but obviously it's the getting it in / out that makes people go for the Quaiffe. Quaiffe is a helical diff so performs slightly differently (and some may say not as well although if you're not racing / rallying it's probably negligible difference). Quaiffe is fit and forget.

Gripper maintenance will be determined by how 'hard' it is used / how it is setup. You can have it set to suit hard racing or road with occasional trackdays I believe. If you're handy with the spanners and don't mind getting the box out I'd go with the Gripper. If not, the Quaiffe. Both are well worth it. Best mod on mine, including the cage / suspension etc. Iirc James gained 1.5 secs a lap when racing with a diff vs no diff. I may be wrong on those stats...
@Chip-mk1 and @NorthloopCup can give much better pros / cons and technical knowledge.

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

@Phase1sr No worries bud, not spam at all! Both diffs will make a noticeable difference both on road and more so on track. They let you put power down much quicker out of bends and prevent the wheels losing grip when putting that power down. IMO they are a must if you intend on running bigger power, to else you have more power but can't put it down. Even on standard power the diff will improve grip / putting power down. Both are similarly priced, although @NorthloopCup can source both cheaper I believe.

Gripper is a plated diff, so if one wheel loses drive it will still put power through the other wheel. Con of this is it needs maintenance, which is box out. The maintenance is only £85 but obviously it's the getting it in / out that makes people go for the Quaiffe. Quaiffe is a helical diff so performs slightly differently (and some may say not as well although if you're not racing / rallying it's probably negligible difference). Quaiffe is fit and forget.

Gripper maintenance will be determined by how 'hard' it is used / how it is setup. You can have it set to suit hard racing or road with occasional trackdays I believe. If you're handy with the spanners and don't mind getting the box out I'd go with the Gripper. If not, the Quaiffe. Both are well worth it. Best mod on mine, including the cage / suspension etc. Iirc James gained 1.5 secs a lap when racing with a diff vs no diff. I may be wrong on those stats...
@Chip-mk1 and @NorthloopCup can give much better pros / cons and technical knowledge.

For all out performance the gripper is the way forward, but if you want a fit and forget option go for the Quaife. That's as simple as it gets really. Gripper maintenance ain't to bad either if it's not getting hammered in a racing environment and I'd imagine that in a road car you'd see 12k before any maintenance is needed.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Funny that, mine did just over 12k before I sent it off to them. Hoping it will need doing well in advance next time due to harder use ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Funny that, mine did just over 12k before I sent it off to them. Hoping it will need doing well in advance next time due to harder use ;)
It comes down to what the preload is set to really mate as well. That's the bit that makes the diff aggressive or placid.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Gripper in the Clio definitely works better. Bit quaiffe is nicer road manners and no maintainance at all.

horses for courses.

Both hugely better than standard open gayness!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

My car does about 3k a year and is only used for fun and maybe the odd day out to the beach with the kids.

Cub, looking forward to seeing you on the 22nd matey.

Ill pm for your address. :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Update

Pic Heavy this one I am afraid.

A very productive day with Dan@SJM. We compression tested the engine, fitted and timed up a new cambelt with dephaser, ran in the Cup brake setup so I could do away with ABS and chatted about superchargers. Top bloke Dan, his help was much appreciated and it was good to catch up.

Considering the engine was sat in a unit for 18 months, since it came out of Luke's Trophy, I was over the moon that it seems in tip top nick and very healthy. Certainly healthier than the one its replacing :) Compression Test results were;

Cylinder 4 - 180
Cylinder 3 - 175
Cylinder 2 - 175
Cylinder 1 - 190

Dan commented he expects them to level out slightly when the engine runs for a bit, given its sat there for so long.

Pictures;

First, up took the rocker cover off the new engine to inspect the cams. Happy to report they were very clean and unmarked. The head was cleaned up a bit and the rocker cover sealed back on.

photo3_zps460cc2ac.jpg

Photo1_zps3c530d92.jpg

Genuine Renault cambelt and shiny new dephaser was put on, with Megane 225 Crank Pin as Adam was out of 1*2 ones, then the timing done.

photo2_zps2f9c6205.jpg

photo5_zpsebcfd064.jpg

Note how dirty the rocker cover / engine is, as its due a serious tidy up / paint this week :eek:

photo7_zps330e9bdb.jpg

photo17_zpsd9a9d840.jpg

photo4_zpsdb45f56a.jpg

Everybody loves an accurately timed up F4R ;)

Got the crane out and took it off the stand, then put the flywheel, gearbox and starter motor back on to let us compression test it. Before anyone asks, yes the bolts in the box aren't the correct ones as we just needed to fix it on for the test, it came back off again

photo19_zpsae9c160c.jpg

photo9_zps6cfd537f.jpg

Filled it up with some oil, then did the test. My phone died here, so no photos of the compression test I am afraid.

photo10_zpsd535e33a.jpg

Dan then moved onto the removal of the ABS setup. I was chuffed to see this go as it has been playing up ever since the second Burpspeed Llandow day Jay Payne ;)

Good bye ABS pump / Ecu and old brake lines;

photo18_zps618f2972.jpg

Good bye annoying Loom;

photo11_zps6e0b4c09.jpg

Hello new lines;

photo6_zpsf0074d3d.jpg

Hello CLiP

IMG_7271_zps72ee42e1.jpg

Whilst Dan was working away, these turned up :)

photo12_zpsa90f982b.jpg

photo15_zpsb32a14d2.jpg

And some Nimbus Heatshield arrived;

photo13_zpsc9625ec6.jpg

Getting very excited now, as I've been without the car over 6 months. Can't wait to drive it again. Thanks again to Dan for his help and expertise :)

Inferno 225 cup
'Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc'

Woahhhhh, coming on now Oli! I really can't wait to see this :)

Bet you're twitching to get back in it now aren't you, and show it some Tarmac;)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Always a strong engine, that one. Great news mush!

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5

Hopefully see this on the 22nd.. assuming I have a job and some wheels by then!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Woahhhhh, coming on now Oli! I really can't wait to see this :)

Bet you're twitching to get back in it now aren't you, and show it some Tarmac;)

Yep, can't wait bud.

Always a strong engine, that one. Great news mush!

FPMSL @ Mush!

Hopefully see this on the 22nd.. assuming I have a job and some wheels by then!

Get the train panda!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Loving the updates mate, also like looking at lots of pictures. :approve:

Did you not fit the cams out of your old engine? If not then why?

Oh also where did you buy the Samco hoses from?

Cracking work Cub, looking forward to seeing this. :D

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Gutted I can't make the 22nd! Looks like its going to be a good one.

Standard engine for the time being as going to Supercharge?; no grp N advance timing?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

@Phase1sr - didn't fit the cams as the plan is to supercharge so they won't be needed bud. Sold them to @Chip-mk1.

Hoses - bought them from Demon Tweeks bud. I like the photos as it reminds me of what I have / haven't done! Lol.
@Daniel - jog on! ;) It will look great for 5 mins, then they'll get dirty ha ha!
@Saner - sad face you can't make it :( Standard timing for now!
-

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Cheers Cub, i have some bits to order from Tweeks. :D

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

I know mate :( If you still working away Sunday evening i'll pop in! Hopefully spending the week after working on my much older project!