ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Re: 'Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc'

Coming along nicely mate. Shame about not making Bedford, but there are more opportunities.
Might be able to fit you in if you did want to come up ;)

You wrapping it yourself Mark? If you need an extra pair of hands to help give me a shout!

I'm going to try lol. If I can make it look OK it will be a far cheaper way of keeping the racing car looking vaguely respectable. Thanks for the offer, you may regret it. I've done a few bits so far and the mistake I keep making is cutting the bits too small. I need to wait for it to warm up before I can do any of the bigger bits. Plus it is fairly low down on my priority list. Matt black was a mistake for my first try as well as if you stretch it too much it goes glossy.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Coming along nicely mate. Shame about not making Bedford, but there are more opportunities.
Might be able to fit you in if you did want to come up ;)

Cheers Ed, and thanks for the kind offer. Unfortunately it looks like I'm working that weekend now :(

I like garage pics. Lol ok fair enough.

Looking forward to seeing a pictures update though.

I'll get on it, might be one on Sunday evening :)

I'm going to try lol. If I can make it look OK it will be a far cheaper way of keeping the racing car looking vaguely respectable. Thanks for the offer, you may regret it. I've done a few bits so far and the mistake I keep making is cutting the bits too small. I need to wait for it to warm up before I can do any of the bigger bits. Plus it is fairly low down on my priority list. Matt black was a mistake for my first try as well as if you stretch it too much it goes glossy.

I'm more than happy to lend a hand Mark, means I can 'practice' on yours :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I like garage pics. Lol ok fair enough.

Looking forward to seeing a pictures update though.

So, after some lack of picture criticism, here is another update :)

Still looks like this :(

CarinBits_zps8e33361c.jpg

The box is at Gripper having the LSD sorted. @Dan@SJM has kindly agreed to come over in early Feb when the box is back to compression test the engine and run the new brake line system, including the CLiP changes. So...I have been acquiring more parts :) Most of these from @Llewellyn and @Nick172Cup - cheers guys :)

Cup AC delete / Alternator etc

Parts1_zps79cd0102.jpg

Cup brake lines and Brake setup to get rid of the annoying ABS problems;

Parts7_zpsfbeaba27.jpg

Parts2_zpsefa95410.jpg

Goodbye annoying piece of s**t...

Parts3_zpsd0ecff32.jpg

A new Bosch S4 Battery, MAD Battery cover and some engine degreasant to get on cleaning the engine this week;

Parts4_zps1cb2f688.jpg

Bought a new clutch and TREs;

Parts6_zps7dd1cba4.jpg

I've also ordered / sourced;

- Cup Wishbones
- New rack bushes
- New Track Rods
- Samco full hose kit
- Nimbus heatshield
- New Genuine Belt Kit.
- New Dephaser

Can't wait to get it back on the road, aiming for early March :)

Last edited:
  Many.

Been following this since you started.

Sounds like its going to be even more of a awesome car once its back together with all these bits etc!

Looks good Oli :) if going supercharged I would put a keywayed crank pulley on while doing the belts.

Do you still run aircon? If not I'd be tempted to swap to 172 cup engine loom as that will get rid of all the ABS loom :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Nice! :)

Will you you be using the standard Valeo clutch when it's supercharged?

If used correctly, it should be fine.

Cheers Joe. Yep, as Tony said, if used correctly it should be fine. Dan@SJM may correct me, but from talking to Mike Woodford I should be hoping for 280-300 bhp on all standard parts incl. clutch and transmission.

That is what is steering me towards supercharging more than turboing. The stress on the engine / parts is less, and if the engine goes, I can bolt a the charger onto a replacement engine, and off we go again. Only downside is the cost of a new charger if it lets go, but say that happens once every 2-3 years i'll be happy.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Looks good Oli :) if going supercharged I would put a keywayed crank pulley on while doing the belts.

Do you still run aircon? If not I'd be tempted to swap to 172 cup engine loom as that will get rid of all the ABS loom :)

Just seen this James mate, cheers. How much is a keywayed crank and what are the benefits? I'm getting rid of the aircon, but i was trying to avoid ripping the loom out / swapping it from a cost perspective :(

Many.

Cup loom would save a bit of weight all over really. A/C wiring, ABS wiring, Cruise etc. Also remove auto headlights/wipers.

Edit: Seat airbag wiring tooo

Audi A5

A keywayed pulley is about £30 direct from Renault iirc. And it basically has a bit that sits in the crankshaft itself which stops the crank pulley coming loose and destroying the engine. On the clio standard crank pulley it's only held to the crankshaft by the tighteness of the pulley bolt, this is fine when it's N/A but when you go boost the extra torque can make them slip so it's best to upgrade to the 'keyed' megane pulley.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Cup loom would save a bit of weight all over really. A/C wiring, ABS wiring, Cruise etc. Also remove auto headlights/wipers.

Edit: Seat airbag wiring tooo

Cheers Alex, i'll have a think. I don't want to mess with the electrics too much before going to standalone management with the charger.

A keywayed pulley is about £30 direct from Renault iirc. And it basically has a bit that sits in the crankshaft itself which stops the crank pulley coming loose and destroying the engine. On the clio standard crank pulley it's only held to the crankshaft by the tighteness of the pulley bolt, this is fine when it's N/A but when you go boost the extra torque can make them slip so it's best to upgrade to the 'keyed' megane pulley.

Bobby - thanks for the advice, i'll definitely be doing this if its only £30 or so. :)

Audi A5

Also what alternator brackets are you using atm? Cup set up or just standard with aircon?

only saying because if you get the S/C kit your need the standard A/C bracket set up as the S/C sits where the aircon compressor use to sit. So if you have 172 cup alternator set up your have to change back to the standard brackets first.

What brackets are you going to use for the super charger?

Also what alternator brackets are you using atm? Cup set up or just standard with aircon?

only saying because if you get the S/C kit your need the standard A/C bracket set up as the S/C sits where the aircon compressor use to sit. So if you have 172 cup alternator set up your have to change back to the standard brackets first.

Glad you wrote that as it saved me asking ha

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

What brackets are you going to use for the super charger?

Glad you wrote that as it saved me asking ha

Great minds! I'm going to the Cup alternator setup, but keeping my standard brackets for when I supercharge it.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Probably source most of it myself.

I did look at the k-tec kit, but given their treatment / attitude towards me i'd rather not line their pockets any further.

Dan - thanks for advising on RS tuning selling them, i'll look into that.

Cheers Joe. Yep, as Tony said, if used correctly it should be fine. Dan@SJM may correct me, but from talking to Mike Woodford I should be hoping for 280-300 bhp on all standard parts incl. clutch and transmission.

That is what is steering me towards supercharging more than turboing. The stress on the engine / parts is less, and if the engine goes, I can bolt a the charger onto a replacement engine, and off we go again. Only downside is the cost of a new charger if it lets go, but say that happens once every 2-3 years i'll be happy.

Yup I'm still on a stock clutch at 270bhp/236lb-ft :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Cheers Joe. Yep, as Tony said, if used correctly it should be fine. @Dan@SJM may correct me, but from talking to Mike Woodford I should be hoping for 280-300 bhp on all standard parts incl. clutch and transmission.

I'd still go for an uprated clutch personally, as although Mike/Dan are correct that if its low torque (which centrifugal chargers tend to be) then you can get away with a lot more bhp than if its got lots of midrange torque like a turbo application tends to before the clutch slips, there is still the problem that if you change aggressively you can damage the standard clutch quite easily even on lower power, Porkies was only 170lbft and still wrecked a standard clutch.

Its 500 quid extra though so upto you of course.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Looking good dude, will be good to see an engine back in it. Loving the garage!

Any particular reason you haven't decided to just run new brakes lines in copper or braided instead of fitting the cup ones? I can only assume the cost.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Makes sense to me, would be silly putting uprated clutch in now and wearing it out before you need it.

Cub. Who did your powder coating? Last place I used in Reading, I asked for Gloss Black and got some dull grey and with horrible orange peel...

I'm going to get my side mounts powder coated for the Recaros and looking for something similar to yours bits.

Hows the March deadline coming along?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

@Cub. Who did your powder coating? Last place I used in Reading, I asked for Gloss Black and got some dull grey and with horrible orange peel...

I'm going to get my side mounts powder coated for the Recaros and looking for something similar to yours bits.

Hows the March deadline coming along?

A contact through @Rob on here. If you want some bits done, we can sort out dropping them off at mine and I can get then done through him along with a few other bits from @iOllieSM that I know he wants doing.

PS. March deadline looks on target, as long as the engine compression comes back ok! :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Update Time

Progress is still being made. I have picked the Gripper'd box back up from Dave Mac props who have reconditioned the diff, and reconditioned the box replacing the 3rd Gear Synchro as it was goosed.
@Dan@SJM is heading over on Monday to run the Cup brake setup, use CLiP to cancel the necessary signal sending, compression test the engine and much excitement from my side - discuss / show me his supercharger setup :)

I have been accummulating parts at a rate of knots, and will stick photos of them in here so I can keep track of them all / what needs to be fitted :)

Radiator from the @Budgie

Radiator_zpse5de1783.jpg

Pure Motorsport Shifter

PMSShifter_zps38cf2fff.jpg

Pure Motorsport Top Mounts and Strut brace from @Nick172Cup

PMSStrutBrace_zps1186b405.jpg

Brake ducts from Nick again :)

BrakeDucts_zps6b44136b.jpg

Don't know if these will come out, but white Oz Racing stickers (thanks Ady182) for the black F1 wheels and white Cliosport.net stickers

OZStickers_zpsc780e70a.jpg

CliosportStickers_zps9d278ef6.jpg

Battery cover from @Dan Mad

BatteryCover_zps77380b4e.jpg

ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid (and a back up 1l ;))

ATE_zps0aebf721.jpg

And these which I got in the Sprayshack group buy. Quality is faultless! Thanks @Shameless172 and @leeroybrown

Bullets1_zps02cf97f9.jpg

Bullets2_zpsfa46f9e6.jpg

More stuff coming tomorrow and Monday, so i'll update next week :)

Edit - stupid fricking photobucket - I orientated the photos on there, but clearly having non of it - anything you can do Rob x

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member

Coming along nicely Cubinator. Have you picked up any clear side repeaters yet? The orange ones make me soft...

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Great stuff! All photos are the right way up, but your cache will stop them from rotating on your screen :)

Happy days! Cheers bud, yep, all this to fit on the 22nd. Further goodies appearing next week ;)

My bank balance has taken a battering lol!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Coming along nicely Cubinator. Have you picked up any clear side repeaters yet? The orange ones make me soft...

Not yet. Got a link? I did get your email earlier on Wales, will reply tomorrow dude just need to check course dates in March that I need to go on for work :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Happy days! Cheers bud, yep, all this to fit on the 22nd. Further goodies appearing next week ;)

My bank balance has taken a battering lol!

Not as bad as mine, LTSB fucked up and literally emptied my current account, taking two days to sort out. LOL! Too long of a story to explain.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Not as bad as mine, LTSB f**ked up and literally emptied my current account, taking two days to sort out. LOL! Too long of a story to explain.

Fail! I bet you cacked yourself when you went online and saw 'zero' in the Banco de Bobert account.